Selling my Fz6. What is a fair price?

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to get an opinion on what my list price and bottom dollar should be when I put my Fz6 up for sale. Unfortunately I have dropped the bike (twice). I am also debating whether or not it would be more cost effective to replace some of the cosmetically unappealing parts before selling.

Damage
* Front Upper fairing has damage to both sides (Dropped Twice)
*Crank Case Cover is scratched
*Both Side Cover Assembly s are scratched
*Front fairing stay is more than likely bent
*Minor Scratches on the right side of the engine(Can be easily fixed with engine paint).

I dropped the bike twice. First time was at maybe 2 miles per hour, front tire caught some mud while coming to a stop. The second time I fell at around 10 mph after being cut off.

PROS
* I have a clean title in hand
* 2008 FZ6
* The bike has just under 11k
* Runs great, and starts up first try
* Both tires have less than 500 miles on them
* I have all stock Parts!

As of now my plan is to replace both side cover assembly fairings, crankcase cover, and the scratches to the right side of the engine. I am estimating this will cost me around $380 in parts and labor (unless it is simple enough to do myself?). However the front fender costs roughly $450 and from what I read the labor/Work it takes in order to replace it is substantial. So I do not believe it would be worth it to replace it.

Here is what I think my bottom line should be.
Sell Bike As Is= $2,800
Sell bike with replaced parts (Crankcase,Side cover assembly fairings,Scratches)= $3,300

Any insight would be appreciated!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I would sell it as is. Some folks wouldn't care about the scratches. Your proposed prices sound a little on the low side to me. I would probably start at at least $4K with a little wiggle room. Although this time of the year in MA is probably not the best time to sell.

BTW, the front fender replacement is not all that difficult.

GLWS!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sorry to hear about your recent drop; Sounds like you came out of it on the up and up at least!

To be honest, and since you asked, I would not expect to get more than $2k as the bike sits; probably closer to $1500-$1700 given your location and the time of year. You always have to keep in mind what a potential buyer could buy a similar bike for in your region, there are a number of great condition FZ's out there for little money (As a comparison; I sold this in Connecticut in peak riding season this year for $3,800: http://www.600riders.com/forum/sell...915-f-s-2008-fz6-6-017-miles-color-black.html)

Although many say it will not; The cosmetic damage significantly de-values a bike. Most people don't "need" a motorcycle, they are usually buying it as a toy, hobby, or passion. Put yourself in the shoes of a buyer; Would you want to put your hard earned money on a bike that will require another $1,000 worth of parts and labor?

I wish you the best of luck in your sale and would strongly recommend waiting until spring as a bare minimum to sell.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Although many say it will not; The cosmetic damage significantly de-values a bike. Most people don't "need" a motorcycle, they are usually buying it as a toy, hobby, or passion. Put yourself in the shoes of a buyer; Would you want to put your hard earned money on a bike that will require another $1,000 worth of parts and labor?

I wish you the best of luck in your sale and would strongly recommend waiting until spring as a bare minimum to sell.

100% agree here. You have to realize that most people looking for a "sport bike" are not looking at the FZ6. To sell one you have either sell it cheap or get lucky and find a buyer actually looking for an FZ6 specifically. For the buyer looking for an FZ6 he/she is looking for a pristine condition example (and plenty of nice ones are out there) so the scratches are an instant turn off.

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, and since you asked, I would not expect to get more than $2k as the bike sits; probably closer to $1500-$1700 given your location and the time of year. You always have to keep in mind what a potential buyer could buy a similar bike for in your region, there are a number of great condition FZ's out there for little money (As a comparison; I sold this in Connecticut in peak riding season this year for $3,800: http://www.600riders.com/forum/sell...915-f-s-2008-fz6-6-017-miles-color-black.html)

I have to say coming from the exact point that you made (I don't 'need' it, but I 'want' one), and shopping FZ6's right now (winter is my friend!) - I'd not consider a downed one unless it was 'light' lowside fairing damage and absolutely no crank/engine cover damage. (ala sliders too or - luck)

The price that you suggest is pretty much on target imho as well (Believe me I have been in cycletrader/craigslist/wowmotorcycle sites like MAD recently pricing things up). 2k-2.2k is what you'll get actual takers on for a dual damaged fairing bike with at least outside damage to the crank cover, on this model. Bikes are not moving right now, and prices are plummeting (yay again for me, the winter buyer).

Keep in mind the market. You can get non-dropped ones for 3.2-3.8k right now with less than 10k miles 07-09 models along the east coast. If you actually want to move it, gotta think realistically. If there's no hurry, you might get 2.6k in spring once the fever hits people.

Maybe make it 'naked' and just replace the crank cover?? 3k or more might happen in that case?

My best suggestion; comb craigslist and cycletrader and you'll see what I'm saying about current prices, and what objectively would sell and not sell.

GL!!

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site

bdub24

Reaction score
Visit site
From experience I believe between 2-2500 would be a reasonable number.

I had mine on craigslist pretty much all year with no hits until last week. I had it up for 3k and took 2500. It had been down once with minimal cosmetic damage. 2007 with 10k miles.

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately I cannot wait until this riding season to sell. ( Tuition does no wait haha). So the next big question is.. Do I replace the crankcase cover and both fairing side assembly's?

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any way you can re-post the final product pictures? the files seem to be corrupted! Thanks again!

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any way you can re-post the final product pictures? the files seem to be corrupted! Thanks again!

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks man. I will give this a shot.Taking the front fairing off is pretty straight forward? Even for someone with limited mechanical knowledge?

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just take your time when removing the fairing. Lots of screws and plastic parts. The stator cover is not difficult. Some oil will leak out.

I think some folks are off base suggesting $2800 for a damaged bike with 11K. I don't think you'll get that amount, even in the spring. skooter65 was right on for a selling price, maybe even a little high for this time of the year. My 06 was not as damaged as yours, had 5K miles 3 years ago and was less than $1500. I replaced all damaged stuff and added some mods along the way. Probably spent as much on doing that as the bike cost getting it back to pristine condition.

GLWS. If you want to sell it really cheap, my son is interested! :D

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
I think, given the responses my plan is to replace the crankcase, and the two side assemblies $200. And then try to personally fix the front fairing on my own.

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
I think, given the responses my plan is to replace the crankcase, and the two side assemblies $200. And then try to personally fix the front fairing on my own.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site

I wouldn't spend that much just to fix the bike up to sell it. If you're going to sand/paint the headlight "moles" yourself, I'd say just try to do the same thing to those pieces next to the seat. And the left side engine case, you dont even need to remove it from the bike, just sand it smooth, mask off the rest of the bike, and spray it with that paint in Skooter's post.