Not open for further replies.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: First oil change

Dude,
You are not taking the cheap way out. I just did my own 600 mile inspection using my owners manual as a reference. The only problem I had was getting the oil filter off, but with alittle elbow grease and a screw driver it came off. The stealership wanted to charge me $260. That's crazy. I'll do it myself.

Ditto. I did the 600 mile checkup myself. Nothing was wrong, the chain is spot on for slack, all of the fluids are ok, I checked all of the lights, switches et cetera in about an hour. The dealer said the 600 mile checkup is ~$180. The only issue I had was getting the drain plug out, I ended up cracking a socket in the process. I can not picture taking this bike to the dealer for any maintenance, except for warranty work. Even valve adjustments are probably not that difficult, I think it is inverted buckets with shims. Usually you can sneak the shims past the cam lobe without removing the cams. I have a few miles to go before that procedure though!:D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: what type/brand of oil do you use?

LOL, Just the other year, I sat in a course with a couple of Mech E's behind me and I could overhear them talking about this electrical course they were taking and I was laughing to myself because they couldn't understand the voltage loop law.
.:D
Voltage loop law? What's that? Is this related to why attenae leads are looped after a ground to prevent lightening surges from frying your TV set plugged in w/o a surge protector?

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site

Voltage loop law? What's that? Is this related to why attenae leads are looped after a ground to prevent lightening surges from frying your TV set plugged in w/o a surge protector?
Hahaha, not quite :D
The voltage loop law, actually known as Kirchoffs Voltage Law or KVL, says that the sum of voltages around any closed loop has to equal zero. Active elements like batteries "create" voltage while passive elements (resistors, lightbulbs, etc) "consume" voltage. The voltage rise across your power source has to equal the drops across all your passive elements.

Hey wait a minute, who uses antennas on their TV anymore?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What Is The Best Oil

First oil change completed at 125 miles. No problems or surprises. The used oil did not look that bad, might have had a silvery sheen to it. The oil drain plug did have a crush ring washer. It was quite thin and did not just fall off, I had to pry it off with a knife blade. I've always been told to replace these at each oil change, and of course I did not have a new one from Yamaha. I found that the crush ring for my Honda Civic's drain plug fit quite nicely and used one of those from my stock. I was going to use a Supertech filter from Walmart, but they didn't have any. I went down the street to Advance Auto Parts and got their last three blue Pure One PL14610 filters and used one of those. (My FZ6 is red, but I figured a blue filter would look better than gold.)

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What Is The Best Oil

First oil change completed at 125 miles. No problems or surprises. The used oil did not look that bad, might have had a silvery sheen to it. The oil drain plug did have a crush ring washer. It was quite thin and did not just fall off, I had to pry it off with a knife blade. I've always been told to replace these at each oil change, and of course I did not have a new one from Yamaha. I found that the crush ring for my Honda Civic's drain plug fit quite nicely and used one of those from my stock. I was going to use a Supertech filter from Walmart, but they didn't have any. I went down the street to Advance Auto Parts and got their last three blue Pure One PL14610 filters and used one of those. (My FZ6 is red, but I figured a blue filter would look better than gold.)
I have never replaced a crush washer on any of the bikes I have own since the 80's.... None ever leaked.... I subscribe to the early oil change theory as well. Most of the engine's breakin happens early on (within the first 20 -30 km of it's life)... All those high points from manufacturing are quickly knocked off. Another good reason for early oil change.... The transmission is a huge source of breakin material. Motocycles use the same oil to lubricate our transmission and engine.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

ozmodius

Reaction score
Visit site

Talking about motor oil in most forums is like talking religion or politics at work .. usually doesnt end well.

I'm no expert, but I have done extensive research in this matter.

read THIS and make your opinion by facts... most motor oils on the market have good points and bad points its never as simple as most make it out to be.

catchm3fz

Reaction score
Visit site

castrol fully-synthetic. Said to be the best out right now. Next to Mobil1 and Q.
like $6.00 a qt thou.

Whitey Dodge

Reaction score
sport-touring.org

Talking about motor oil in most forums is like talking religion or politics at work .. usually doesnt end well.

I'm no expert, but I have done extensive research in this matter.

read THIS and make your opinion by facts... most motor oils on the market have good points and bad points its never as simple as most make it out to be.

Sure it is! Pick a good quality oil, without paying an arm and a leg for it. It will serve you well. Look at someone's analysis report of their oil will tell you way more than another opinion on the internet. I use Rotella and have seen oil analysis done on it, and it holds up very well in motorcycle use.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site

opinion should have little to do with this discussion. it should be science and preferences.
you have your weight
you have your choice, natural or synthetic
you have your snake oil additives
you have brand name

Whitey Dodge

Reaction score
sport-touring.org

opinion should have little to do with this discussion. it should be science and preferences.
you have your weight
you have your choice, natural or synthetic
you have your snake oil additives
you have brand name

Preferences? There is little science in preferences. You either base it on hard science, id est, collect data and pick an oil based solely on that data. Or, you pick what you like based on shear folly.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site

There's preferences. Some do the filter every change, some don't. Some wait 3,000 miles like it's the 1950's and they're running leaded engines, some go 5,000 miles, some go 3,000 miles because they run their engines hard.
Not everyone lives by the coast or in the desert or in high altitudes...thre's other variables besides the science in the oil.

Whitey Dodge

Reaction score
sport-touring.org

There's preferences. Some do the filter every change, some don't. Some wait 3,000 miles like it's the 1950's and they're running leaded engines, some go 5,000 miles, some go 3,000 miles because they run their engines hard.
Not everyone lives by the coast or in the desert or in high altitudes...thre's other variables besides the science in the oil.

I was speaking of the oil selection only, but since you are bringing up the whole change process...

And they are basing these intervals on what, science? I don't think so. If you are going to be scientific about it, you will have to do it like they do oil changes on large truck/bus fleets. Pick an oil that has a know track record. Run the oil for X number of miles send a sample off for analysis, and adjust the change interval accordingly.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site

Got bike on Thursday, registered on Friday, put 240 km in that process and on Sunday we replaced oil and filter. We couldn't remove filter so had to use the force (screwdriver). Tool we bought in the store didn't want to grab onto filter even that it was kind of right size. For next time we'll get something better.

We also purchased torque wrench but that one performed well. Oil change is piece of cake. Everybody should do it themselves.

Now I'll download maintenance manual and see what else is in the books...

Zack

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

my oil change oil catcher thingy was a little too tall and i melted it on my exhaust a little, other than looking out for that next time the oil change was the easiest i have ever done on a bike, very smart placement of the filter on this bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.