What is a good Battery to buy

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No - you can push start a very very very dead FZ6...this has been proven time and time again. The \"push-start\" should be taught in the MSF IMO.

The OEM battery in my 2004 is still going strong after numerous winters, lots of abuse, and without ever being on a tender.

your very lucky! as far as the push start it will eventually take its toll! As far as your battery biggest thing is how much you ride also. Some batteries you just get lucky but most do not!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
your very lucky! as far as the push start it will eventually take its toll! As far as your battery biggest thing is how much you ride also. Some batteries you just get lucky but most do not!

Take its toll, ok. :rolleyes: Regardless, that was not the point.

It's not luck. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, it primarily comes down to whether or not the dealership brought the batter to life properly to begin with and how long the bike sat on the show-room floor.

Stephane

Stephane
Reaction score
Visit site
go with a name brand, that is the only real requirement, if they are a reputable company that is making the battery then the technology should be all essentially the same and it is just luck of the draw from there.

I also have a concern about buying from e-bay, if batteries are stored improperly (AKA on a cement floor, or on a shelf without recharge for longer than 6 months) then the life will be drastically shortened regardless of build. go with a reseller that carries batteries and knows how to store them the right way, E-bay sellers could have stacks of old batteries on a warehouse floor that they got from a reputable reseller that had to liquidate them because of their own internal quality assurance policies.

That is the only good solution.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
did a little digging and Yuasa makes a few different brand batteries. Interstate are the same quality. There are tons of factors in how long a battery will last.... one other thing is yes $60 on a battery if you get a lil over half the time as a $100 battery however that is also twice the amount of messing around you are going to do... As far as walmart batteries.. we have tons come in and they didn't last very long another thing is they are not always the right battery.... another thing that makes a difference is where you live

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
After 6 years of ride, my battery seems like dying slowly .
It was an original GS brand battery coming with the bike when it was in the showroom and i appreciate it's quality.
But it's time for a new one.

So i think of getting an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery instead of lead acid battery this time.

I found a new battery called MOTOBATT from ebay. The price is affordable like $100 and reviews look ok.

Does anyone tried this battery on a fazer?
Do you recommend AGM or jel battery?

68436694.jpg

ebay link:

MotoBatt accu YT12B-BS / YT12BBS - MBT12B4 Gel Battery - eBay, Elektronica en ontstekingen, Motoronderdelen en -access., Auto's, motoren en boten. (Eindtijd 29-jan-11 16:13:36 CET)

Last edited:

Martinezmr89

Reaction score
Visit site
Will the batteries in these links work for an 05 fz6???
It's the weirdest battery I've ever seen. And no one in my town has one :(
pm is appreciated so I get a notification of a reply
Thanks!

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
if you take care of the battery, hence optimate or other battery maintainer your battery will last a long time. the battery in that link looks like a walmart quality battery. You go that way it will die shortly and you will be back.

Yep, I pull mine every November, charge it, and let it, "Winter" on a shelf in the basement. It's going on it's fourth now and showing no sign of decline. BTW, installing a battery is very simple - you'll need a metric socket set and a set of metric allen wrenches.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
If you don't get a Yuasa, get a bikemaster "Trugel" which is gel (duh) and has a two year warranty.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
the OEM tool kit has everything you need to swap a battery,
except for a prop to hold the tank up...biggest factor in a
new battery failing early is the amount of time it sits around
full of acid, ideally it should not be filled until you buy it, prior
to that it's just a plastic box with lead plates in it, don't matter
how it's stored, Walmart batteries have a separate container
of acid and you fill it yourself, when I need a battery this is
what I'm buying, but I am a cheap fawk who is handy

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
the OEM tool kit has everything you need to swap a battery,
except for a prop to hold the tank up...biggest factor in a
new battery failing early is the amount of time it sits around
full of acid, ideally it should not be filled until you buy it, prior
to that it's just a plastic box with lead plates in it, don't matter
how it's stored, Walmart batteries have a separate container
of acid and you fill it yourself, when I need a battery this is
what I'm buying, but I am a cheap fawk who is handy

Careful with the Walmart batteries. Make sure the dimensions are correct. We've got an odd-sized battery.

HanktheTank

Reaction score
Visit site
Careful with the Walmart batteries. Make sure the dimensions are correct. We've got an odd-sized battery.

Good call on this one, I brought mine into Walmart today to make sure I got the same size and they didn't have it; they were either too tall or too wide or both.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good call on this one, I brought mine into Walmart today to make sure I got the same size and they didn't have it; they were either too tall or too wide or both.

I haven't shopped for a battery yet, but I'll hit up Walmart (with all dimensions) first..

Walmart's AGM batteries are made in USA by Johnson Controls in Milwaukee.. I just bought one for my old BMW the other day, and was very happy with everything.. Actually, I was shocked to see that the battery (again, from Walmart) was made in the USA...

$70 well spent!!:thumbup:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I need to get a new battery for my 2006 Yamaha FZ6. The dealer is going to charge me about $100 for the battery and $30 for labor. I'd rather save some money, buy the battery online and do the labor myself.
Does anyone know any good batteries out there?
Any good stores to buy them online?

Thanks.

Wow. This takes me back.
I started this thread on 11-04-2008, right after I bought my fz6 --my first bike.
This thread is still going strong.....like my fz6's battery (now sold).:D