What do i use to make the front of my engine look new again??

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I think my bike was parked on the beach by the previous owner and driven in the rain a lot. It has rust and corrosion on all over the front of the engine and headers.

I want to clean it the best i can :BLAA:.

What do i use to get the headers shiny and polished looking?

What do i use to get off the corrosion and tiny rust spots?

I know the ultimate solution is to replace everything, but this is my first bike and i want to purchase another one later on in mint condition so i can keep it that way :rockon: For now i just want it to be as clean as i can get it :D

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, for the pipes you can wet sand them then polish... I actually took a photo how-to for this process last week when I did it but, some kids stole my camera out of my truck.

I started with 800 grit wet paper, you can start at 600 if it's very corroded, then move to the 800.
Then I did 1000 grit and used autosol as a final product. I guess you could be very picky and go to 1500 grit before your polish, but at 1000 there are no scratches and it looks like a mirror.

Make sure to use lots of water and when you move on through the stages of paper that you take out the previous grit's scratches before you move on to the finer grade.

I do this about once a year, maybe twice if I'm feelin bored after all, I would rather ride than clean.

C

CoolATIGuy

+1 on the sandpaper - I only got 1 grit, mine were just tarnished not cankered (read through previous thread I posted)