~~~ What did you do to your Bike Today Thread??? ~~~

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil change with synthetic for the first time to see if the clutch feels any different. It doesn't.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
All suited up to ride today but nope. The battery quit abruptly despite being on a trickle charge.

Replaced the battery with a new AGM from Autozone. First time changing the battery since buying the bike 6 years ago so it was due.

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
What did I do to my bike today (last night)?
After suffering unresolved sticky shifting, last night I pulled off the linkage, lever and guard - took it all in my shop and cleaned the F out of it. I liberally white-greased the linkage. I had noticed the guard seemed pretty wobbly when working the shift lever. I reversed the two rubber/metal washers that connect it to the frame and that gave me a little less movement inside those bushing. The white grease I had applied to the pin a couple weeks ago seemed pretty sticky so I cleaned that out and applied wheel bearing grease. I rode out this morning and clicked through every gear up and down like a breeze. We'll see how long is stays smooth this time. Anyone have advice on lube products down there? Note: I have lubed the clutch cable so that seems good.

JHM

Reaction score
Visit site
Disassembled and cleaned swingarm, bearings, tube and seals. Blasted and cadmium plated bolt to deal with corrosion. Lubricated everything now just waiting for my new chain and sprockets before everything goes back together.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I washed it rode it a week ago. She's been setting there in her Jammies since early November.

No trickle and she fired right off after sitting for 4+ months...

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the bike thoroughly filthy riding to the dealership in the wet to pick up a fork seal kit.

Today I removed the bandage over its left fork leg and replaced the seal. Fingers crossed no more leakage.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Reinstalled my old Oxford heated grips to deal with the morning spring temps and found the controller is flakey.

The heat works but the led stays on after turning off at the controller, so it appears on full heat when powered off.

Apparently there's an upgrade v8 controller available that's backward compatible. I'll get that if it gives me trouble. For now I'll just trickle the bike.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Reinstalled my old Oxford heated grips to deal with the morning spring temps and found the controller is flakey.

The heat works but the led stays on after turning off at the controller, so it appears on full heat when powered off.

Apparently there's an upgrade v8 controller available that's backward compatible. I'll get that if it gives me trouble. For now I'll just trickle the bike.

I installed heated grips on mine this year but haven't ridden with them yet. Do you uninstall/reinstall often? Do you have 2 throttle assemblies since the grips are usually glued to the throttle side?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed heated grips on mine this year but haven't ridden with them yet. Do you uninstall/reinstall often? Do you have 2 throttle assemblies since the grips are usually glued to the throttle side?

I've reinstalled a few times when trying out different handlebars and have gotten pretty good at grip removal.

I just have the one OEM plastic throttle tube and only use a little superglue. The trick is to find a suitable bar or tube that matches the throttle to gently pound it off.

Be sure to re-dial in the throttle cable tension to your preference and ensure the gas doesn't open at full lock.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
I've reinstalled a few times when trying out different handlebars and have gotten pretty good at grip removal.

I just have the one OEM plastic throttle tube and only use a little superglue. The trick is to find a suitable bar or tube that matches the throttle to gently pound it off.

Be sure to re-dial in the throttle cable tension to your preference and ensure the gas doesn't open at full lock.

Gotcha. Yeah the only thing I'm worried about with the heated grips is that I'll have crazy bar vibrations and my right hand will go numb again.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks yeah I've read that. My buddy's FZ6 feels about the same, I think it might be my hand, not the bike. It's more of a fine vibration, not a rough one.

Hopefully your hands will be ok, but if not you could consider heated gloves. Then you could switch back to conventional grips of course. Some also add foam "grip puppies".

I just checked on my Oxford controller and now the b*stard thing won't turn off heat mode proper except when it wants to. I'm ordering the new controller @ $55. Bleh.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully your hands will be ok, but if not you could consider heated gloves. Then you could switch back to conventional grips of course. Some also add foam "grip puppies".

I just checked on my Oxford controller and now the b*stard thing won't turn off heat mode proper except when it wants to. I'm ordering the new controller @ $55. Bleh.

My bike has 33K on it and I don't think valve clearance check has ever been done. So I probably should do that first, then sync the TBs/replace spark plugs/check wires.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has 33K on it and I don't think valve clearance check has ever been done. So I probably should do that first, then sync the TBs/replace spark plugs/check wires.

That sounds like a lot of work. My '07 still doesn't have the miles yet!

I got a 20 mile cold, wet and windy ride in and got the grips to work despite its display issues. It was nice not to have my hands go a bit numb, but I was getting blown around too much and could barely hear the bike enough to really feel connected.

More riding needed on a less bad day! :D

Last edited:

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the rear brake lever and R foot peg off and cleaned with wire wheel, fine emery paper and solvent. Ground off sloppy weld drip and re-bent the brake lever so it is shaped and positioned properly after previous owner had dropped bike and bent it in and up. Straightened the foot peg and peg tines which was also bent from his drop. Applied marine lube to all parts and reassembled. Went ahead and re-lubed shifter pin with marine lube while down there. Pretty boring, but now done.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my erratic Oxford heated grips controller with the new v8. It has simplified wiring and was easily swapped out. Upon testing, its battery saving mode reduces the power consumption and heat output when it detects a low voltage around 12.68 and flashes a warning on the display. So far so good.

Also noticed slight fork oil seepage from my Andreani left fork cap. I added some pipe thread tape to hopefully resolve that as the O-ring appears to be in good shape.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my erratic Oxford heated grips controller with the new v8. It has simplified wiring and was easily swapped out. Upon testing, its battery saving mode reduces the power consumption and heat output when it detects a low voltage around 12.68 and flashes a warning on the display. So far so good.

Also noticed slight fork oil seepage from my Andreani left fork cap. I added some pipe thread tape to hopefully resolve that as the O-ring appears to be in good shape.

How do you like the Andreani setup?