What boots does everyone wear? (Not track boots)

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Many of the boots pictured would probably qualify for the track. Although I'm not a track guy, I wonder what the percentage of injuries are sustained involving the feet or ankles? If it's a low percentage, obviously the boots are doing it's job which would reinforce on why wearing proper footwear is so essential even when you go ride out on the streets.

While they may be "track" boots, I think the problem is the lack of protection from "street" boots.

You really don't loose much comfort with any of the "track" boots pictured, but you gain a world of protective benefits.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ good to know....
I guess my point is if you're going to spend money, why not protect the foot and ankle from tears (ligamet, tendon, & muscle) and likely breaks too, not just abrassion?…

No i wouldn't care to walk a 1/2 daily in those boots but i do beleive that having a pivot that moves in the foots normal fore/aft motion will drastically reduce foot and ankle injury, dislocation, tears and all that should one have a bad day.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also use the TCX X-cube boots as a previous poster mentioned. Comfortable, water proof, sturdy, with quick lace feature. Can hop off the bike and roll right into work with them.
Cost around $105.

TCXcube_zps8hl7yxz7.jpg

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Crashing on the street at 60mph will hurt just as much as crashing on the track at 60mph.

A bunch of my local riding buddies are bigtime trackday addicts and or club racers, and several of them have crash tested their boots A LOT. Most of them are wearing Alpinestars SupertechR or Sidi Vortice. Personally, I have no issues spending >$300 on a pair of boots for top of the line protection. Look for deals on ebay or forums.

Like I said, why skimp on protection for something you use as often as your feet? The extra $200 for good boots and the extra 15 seconds changing shoes once you get to work will seem like nothing compared to the hospital visits and months on crutches they could prevent.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a fan of calf-high boots for street riding, but I also want support/protection above the ankle. I've been wearing Icon Field Armor boots for years. I wore out the originals after 10 years and just replaced them with the V2. I looked at everything, but chose those.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine lost it in a turn and the front of the bike went into a small ditch.:eek: The force on one of the pegs was so hard it blew the casting the peg was attached to. As his foot passed the broken casting it sliced his ankle. His ankle was broken.:( I think he may have had much less, if no injury if he was wearing a decent riding boot. He was wearing hiking type footwear. If you notice most of the riding boots have a very gradual heel height or no heel at all. The heel to sole graduation is more angular as apposed to other shoes or work boots. There is no heavy tread. These designs have evolved from a lot of experience in many areas of motorcycle riding.
A work boot on the floorboard of a cruiser is different. On pegs I want my riding boot. :)

Commuting to work may be a lot different but I used to wear Thor 50/50 for work which gave me some decent protection and a shoe for work.

Now...after all of this good compelling testimony you are justified to get those boots you know you want! :rockon:

Last edited:

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the TCX X-Square Plus boot and love it so far. Super comfy, even when I have to get off the bike and be on my feet for a bit. They feel like a cross between a sneaker and a hiking boot. One thing I really like about them is how breathable they are. You can feel the air moving around your foot once you get up to speed. Since they are a lower, more sneaker style shoe they can't offer the absolute best in protection, but they do a much better job than just sneakers alone.

TCX X-Square Plus Boots - RevZilla

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Crashing on the street at 60mph will hurt just as much as crashing on the track at 60mph.

tbh I'd argue the street can be much worse, there's no rocks/metal railings/cars/trees/etc. to hit on a track, it's designed to make falling off as safe as possible.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on my second pair of BMW's "AirFlow" summer boots:

product_reviews_6379_358374.jpg

Very comfortable, subdued enough to wear at the office, and you can actually feel the wind go through them if you stand sideways to a light breeze. :rockon:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like I'm rolling in inadequate boots.

Belleville 775's

775_ST_main.png

The boots are adequate, but the laces pose a potential problem. I would never wear laced boots because of the potential for the loop to catch a foot peg, resulting in an embarrassing drop of the bike. I've seen it happen. At the very least, tuck your laces inside the boots.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
They are military boots and yes, we always tuck in our laces. There's not much in the way of ankle support if I drop the bike on it but they are always laced tight enough that I've never rolled an ankle, even when carrying 120lbs of gear.

It was more of a joke, really. I know I'm "living dangerously" so to speak but I already transport gym clothes, running shoes, shower gear + shower shoes, and a full uniform to work - I try not to take 4 sets of footwear to work.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
They are military boots and yes, we always tuck in our laces. There's not much in the way of ankle support if I drop the bike on it but they are always laced tight enough that I've never rolled an ankle, even when carrying 120lbs of gear.

It was more of a joke, really. I know I'm "living dangerously" so to speak but I already transport gym clothes, running shoes, shower gear + shower shoes, and a full uniform to work - I try not to take 4 sets of footwear to work.

They're probably more than adequate for commuting. I'd rock those too. I just wouldn't sport ride in them.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using the Norwegian M77 army boot. Not the optimal choice, and with non-existant protection against anything except street rash.

a02aee347bd196d31c22cd1e6445937c.jpg

Being only 165 cm tall, I am looking for a pair of ridning boots that offer good protection and preferably with some height in the entire length of the boot, not just the heel. Open to suggestions. :)

Edit: Yes, I know of the problem with laces, but it's what I got.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I do the same thing. I wear my uniform pants and boots with my Cortech over pants. Uniform shirt, gym gear, and lunch go in the top case.