Boots boots boots.....need some advice

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am pimped out with all the gear with exception of the boots.

I currently ride in regular walking shoes and I think it's time to end the stupidity and get something safer.

I don't do track nor am I a very sporty rider.

I commute to school in stop and go traffic almost everyday. I do occasional weekend trips outside of the city.

My budget is $300.

I have never tried on any motorcycle boots so I don't know how it feels to ride in full boot vs. short one.

I want as much protection as I can without going over with it. So it needs to be aimed at street riding and not a track/motorcross or whatever.

Here's what I am looking at currently:

Sidi Apex
Sidi Streetburner
A* SMx2
Dainese Dyno Pro
Teknic Chicane Street boot

I am looking for on and off the bike boots that will offer me as much protection.

I think the short boots are a good compromise. At least I will be getting some actual protection as opposed to getting a glorofied sneaker with extra padding.

Okay, so did you guys ever owned any of these? Which ones would you recommend? Maybe I am missing a boot that is worth a look?

Help me out please.

Thanks.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I have A* SMX Plus boots and i love them. Very comfortable and plenty of protection. I think they are around 289.

huy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of Gaerne G.King and they are great street boots. They offer good protection but are not so stiff so you can walk around in them. They are waterproof boots so they wont get any airflow.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of SMX-4's I bought used. Very comfortable and easy to walk around in. I will prob get the 5's, Plus's, or Sidi Cobra's next.

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Sidi blades and love them. Already saved my ankle a couple times. Enough protection without the space armor look of the streetburners. I wear them out all the time. :D

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my alpinestar GPS3s. They no longer make them but I'd recommend the SMXs because they seem to be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Icon Field Armor boots. I love em. Very comfortable once they break in and they provide very good ankle support as well as toe, heel, and shin protection.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to say it, but you're probably going to want to have two pair, one for summertime and one for cooler weather. The bright side is that two pairs of boots last twice as long as one pair. :BLAA:
I'm close to having to replace my summer boots, they're BMWs (yeah, the car/bike guys). Not only do they have generous mesh panels to let in air, but the lining is thick but furnace-filter-textured, letting air circulate all over your foot. The first time I stood outside in a cross-breeze, it felt like I was barefoot! :thumbup: $260; five years of wear, and the heel, ankle leather, and velcro are about shot, time for a new pair.
My winter boots were less expensive, Oxtar brand, they were bought out by someone else but I can't remember who. Very comfortable, waterproof, and warm.
Both pair are classy looking enough to wear in the office full-time, which I have; I have no problem with them wearing out after five years.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
more confusion haha

Wow, I am more confused now than ever.

Too many choices! lol

I think I am just going to have to brick and mortar store and try all of them on. I was hoping not to resort to that since the closes store is 30 miles from me, blahh

Anyway, I am gravitating towards the A* SMX 5 now. I am starting to see the benefits of the full taller boots than the shorter ones. They provide more protection against the twisting forces.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: more confusion haha

Wow, I am more confused now than ever.

Too many choices! lol

I think I am just going to have to brick and mortar store and try all of them on. I was hoping not to resort to that since the closes store is 30 miles from me, blahh

Anyway, I am gravitating towards the A* SMX 5 now. I am starting to see the benefits of the full taller boots than the shorter ones. They provide more protection against the twisting forces.

i would recommend the full boot over the short/ankle length ones. if you're going for protection, might as well get as much as you can. if you find a good shop in the area that stock a decent selection, do share. i haven't found one that stocks a good selection of different brands/models, let alone sizes.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

i would recommend the full boot over the short/ankle length ones. if you're going for protection, might as well get as much as you can. if you find a good shop in the area that stock a decent selection, do share. i haven't found one that stocks a good selection of different brands/models, let alone sizes.

indeed. I noticed that a good pair of short boots will be close in price to the full boot. I might go with full.

I like the comfort of a short boot, but considering that I will need to carry a second pair of boots for work/school, there's not much convenience anyway.

I was thinking of visiting the Cyclegear store in Edison NJ. Have you ever been there?

If cyclegear doesn't offer much in selection, I will just make the trip to Philadelphia to the Revzilla storefront.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site

indeed. I noticed that a good pair of short boots will be close in price to the full boot. I might go with full.

I like the comfort of a short boot, but considering that I will need to carry a second pair of boots for work/school, there's not much convenience anyway.

I was thinking of visiting the Cyclegear store in Edison NJ. Have you ever been there?

If cyclegear doesn't offer much in selection, I will just make the trip to Philadelphia to the Revzilla storefront.

i have been to the cyclegear in edison. there wasn't much of a selection. i think when i went a few weeks ago, they had 1 pair of sidi boots (literally one pair one size, not one model a bunch of sizes), a couple alpinestars and a bunch of bilt (cyclegear exclusive) boots. i'm in the dc area visiting family. perhaps i'll stop by philly on the way back...

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

i have been to the cyclegear in edison. there wasn't much of a selection. i think when i went a few weeks ago, they had 1 pair of sidi boots (literally one pair one size, not one model a bunch of sizes), a couple alpinestars and a bunch of bilt (cyclegear exclusive) boots. i'm in the dc area visiting family. perhaps i'll stop by philly on the way back...

Well that most certainly sucks!

Thank you for letting me know.

I will head to Revzilla so it seems. I will be going the last few days of the May, right after my final exams.

If you are going to stop by Revzilla can you let me know how their selection is? I don't feel like making a 100 mile trip for nothing.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site

I will head to Revzilla so it seems.

I also had the same Cycle Gear experience as someone posted in Delaware. They didn't have the selection I was looking for (half boot, $200 range).

Ended up at RevZilla, primarily looking at the SMX2 and Dyno and honestly, I never even ended up trying on the SMX2. I liked the features, look, feel, on/off style of the Dianese so much, I got them.

Check out RZ's reviews of what you're interested in. Personally for me, the Dyno Pro's seem to be really a bling upgrade. More color options and ss parts for $70. The syn leather of the pro could be a pro or con over the dyno mesh depending on how cold you're gonna be riding.

Dainese Dyno Shoes - RevZilla
Dainese Dyno Pro Shoes - RevZilla

Try 'em all on - manufacturers size and fit vary a little. Keep in mind they will break in a little. You will not be disappointed with this decision. Riding boots are an amazing upgrade.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site

Well that most certainly sucks!

Thank you for letting me know.

I will head to Revzilla so it seems. I will be going the last few days of the May, right after my final exams.

If you are going to stop by Revzilla can you let me know how their selection is? I don't feel like making a 100 mile trip for nothing.

I also had the same Cycle Gear experience as someone posted in Delaware. They didn't have the selection I was looking for (half boot, $200 range).

Ended up at RevZilla, primarily looking at the SMX2 and Dyno and honestly, I never even ended up trying on the SMX2. I liked the features, look, feel, on/off style of the Dianese so much, I got them.

Check out RZ's reviews of what you're interested in. Personally for me, the Dyno Pro's seem to be really a bling upgrade. More color options and ss parts for $70. The syn leather of the pro could be a pro or con over the dyno mesh depending on how cold you're gonna be riding.

Dainese Dyno Shoes - RevZilla
Dainese Dyno Pro Shoes - RevZilla

Try 'em all on - manufacturers size and fit vary a little. Keep in mind they will break in a little. You will not be disappointed with this decision. Riding boots are an amazing upgrade.

sounds like revzilla has a better selection. i will likely head back either sunday or monday - unfortunately, it looks like the store is closed on both those days! :thumbdown: