Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry Cory...
I was hoping I could help you eliminate the extra wiring but at this point I would say go ahead and use that harness. You could do this without it but I would need to be there to test and figure out what they're doing before eliminating anything. This means you should just plug into the existing H4 socket you have now and wire it to their specifications.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Cliff. Yeah, that's what I was afraid of...lol.

At this point, I'll probably just go ahead and wire up the halogen bulb (with your relay so I can upgrade to the 55 watt bulb) and wait for Vishnu's upgrade to the projector.

No big deal, really. I'm serious, though...thank you for trying to troubleshoot this from all the way across the country. Without the fairing to hide all the wiring behind, I'd have to put most of it behind the headlight, and part of doing this headlight was to try and eliminate some of the wiring back there (and this doesn't accomplish that at all!)

Anyone wanna buy a HID kit? LOL. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Cliff. Yeah, that's what I was afraid of...lol.

At this point, I'll probably just go ahead and wire up the halogen bulb (with your relay so I can upgrade to the 55 watt bulb) and wait for Vishnu's upgrade to the projector.

No big deal, really. I'm serious, though...thank you for trying to troubleshoot this from all the way across the country. Without the fairing to hide all the wiring behind, I'd have to put most of it behind the headlight, and part of doing this headlight was to try and eliminate some of the wiring back there (and this doesn't accomplish that at all!)

Anyone wanna buy a HID kit? LOL. :thumbup:

I know there's a way to do it but I have to look at it and figure the switching and plug it up the right way.. One of the reasons I wanted to help you eliminate the wiring was because of the lack of space to hide wiring.

If you want you can ship that unit to me and I'll get it adapted for you. No charge... But thinking about it you'd probably be better off with a projector like Degake's.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I know there's a way to do it but I have to look at it and figure the switching and plug it up the right way.. One of the reasons I wanted to help you eliminate the wiring was because of the lack of space to hide wiring.

If you want you can ship that unit to me and I'll get it adapted for you. No charge... But thinking about it you'd probably be better off with a projector like Degake's.

That's no a bad idea, Cliff. I may take you up on that offer. Let me chew on it for a bit and I'll PM you if I decide to do it.

Like I said, in the interim I'll just install your relay and go with the higher 55 watt bulb while I wait to see about Vishnu's projector upgrade.

Again, thanks for all the help! :thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Success!!!

After sleeping on it, I had an epiphany where I seem to have all my great epiphanies (in the shower where you can't write things down!!!) :rolleyes:

I realized that if I extended just 5 wires (the fused power wire, main ground wire, and the 3 wires for the bulb on the harness [ground, hi and lo]), I could put the relay under the seat and run all the wires on either side of the tank to the headlight.

It worked flawlessly!!! I now have the HID up and running! I also took the opportunity to upgrade my turn signals to some Rizomas. I've loved these things forever, but just never took the time to do it. They look great!

Some pictures...

Rear Rizoma turn signals and the new Hyperlites that replaced the old ones:

02c8bc6e.jpg

49560b25.jpg

60b2f58c.jpg

VS-02 headlight with HID kit and Rizoma turn signals:

4079c83a.jpg

bba29472.jpg

c1f5e673.jpg

04bc14fa.jpg

d090f93e.jpg

1b1b2ecd.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! I bet more than anything else, I was confusing you with info that you just didn't need. The info is good but it has to apply with your specific configuration.
Great Job Cory! Love those Rizomas!:BLAA:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! I bet more than anything else, I was confusing you with info that you just didn't need. The info is good but it has to apply with your specific configuration.
Great Job Cory! Love those Rizomas!:BLAA:

Haha, I think you're right Cliff. All I heard was "less wiring" and I was good to go...lol.

I kept going over and over it in my head over the weekend. Then it just hit me...extend these 5 wires and you're good to go. Bam...just like that.

I'm not completely happy with the location of the ballast (it's actually hidden behind the speedometer at the top of the headlight), but it was all the room I had left. It's well-protected there, so it should be ok.

The beauty of this is how easy it will be if I want to switch out to the upcoming projector that Vishnu was talking about, or if I wanted to go back to "stock". I routed the wiring so it's readily accessible.

Thanks so much for your help on this. I was seriously ready to send the thing off to you and say a prayer that it would come back ready to go...lol. But I got a lot of satisfaction in knowing I was able to figure some things out on my own, too.

I still don't know any more about electricity than I did last week, but I feel a little more comfortable messing with things. :thumbup:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for being off the forum for some days, but I had a great trip at EuroDisney with my girl and little boy :D:flip:
I'm currently looking from the phone and ot seems Cliff has been great with his responses!! :thumbup:
When I'm back home, I'll take a look from the PC and see if I can help with some of the problems ;)
@ Dev_USC: Can you tell what projector and parts you are using for your upgraded headlight kit?

Grtz,

Degake

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
@ Dev_USC: Can you tell what projector and parts you are using for your upgraded headlight kit?

My kit has a 2" Projector with angle eyes. The kit comes with customized wiring with exact length for FZ6 installation and is direct plug'n'play. It has a CCFL driver for the angle eyes, slim ballast, and wiring harness.
14wd75i.jpg

3476x07.jpg

wkjxg5.jpg

2m5nn2e.jpg

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
My kit has a 2" Projector with angle eyes. The kit comes with customized wiring with exact length for FZ6 installation and is direct plug'n'play. It has a CCFL driver for the angle eyes, slim ballast, and wiring harness.
14wd75i.jpg

3476x07.jpg

wkjxg5.jpg

2m5nn2e.jpg

Even though I've got the HID installed on mine, Vishnu, I'm extremely interested in this upgrade to your kit. If you need a tester...I'm your man...lol.

Any idea on a price yet or availability? :thumbup:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Success!!!

After sleeping on it, I had an epiphany where I seem to have all my great epiphanies (in the shower where you can't write things down!!!) :rolleyes:

I realized that if I extended just 5 wires (the fused power wire, main ground wire, and the 3 wires for the bulb on the harness [ground, hi and lo]), I could put the relay under the seat and run all the wires on either side of the tank to the headlight.

It worked flawlessly!!! I now have the HID up and running! I also took the opportunity to upgrade my turn signals to some Rizomas. I've loved these things forever, but just never took the time to do it. They look great!

Super that it worked out for you!! :D
Have you taken your bike on a test ride with the new HID installed?
If so, how do you (and upcoming traffic :D) like the new lighting? :p

I absolutely love rizomas! I might be getting the new Graffio or the same as you :cheer:

Some "action" shots...

The relay, under the seat. I still have a good amount of space under there.

073e9b4e.jpg

Hmm, still no waterproof fuseholder?? :rolleyes:
By looking at that picture, I think the relay wouldn't have fit behind the sidepods, does it? But it doesn't take that much place under seat, so it's good there as it is :thumbup:

Grtz,

Degake

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, I think you're right Cliff. All I heard was "less wiring" and I was good to go...lol.

I kept going over and over it in my head over the weekend. Then it just hit me...extend these 5 wires and you're good to go. Bam...just like that.

I'm not completely happy with the location of the ballast (it's actually hidden behind the speedometer at the top of the headlight), but it was all the room I had left. It's well-protected there, so it should be ok.

The beauty of this is how easy it will be if I want to switch out to the upcoming projector that Vishnu was talking about, or if I wanted to go back to "stock". I routed the wiring so it's readily accessible.

Why don't you get a HID extension cable? :)
You can then place the ballast under the tank, and still get the same accessibility to the plugs as you have now, plus it wouldn't be as cluttered with all those wires and ballast :)

Thanks so much for your help on this. I was seriously ready to send the thing off to you and say a prayer that it would come back ready to go...lol. But I got a lot of satisfaction in knowing I was able to figure some things out on my own, too.

I still don't know any more about electricity than I did last week, but I feel a little more comfortable messing with things. :thumbup:

Cliff really is the man to get all your electrical problems sorted :thumbup:
Too bad he lives across the globe :p

Completing something yourself always is a pleasant time :)
And more: feeling a bit more comfortable to mess around your bike will even give you some more insight to how your bike works and what you want to alter/improve and mod :D

Grtz,

Degake

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site

That looks like a great upgrade kit! :thumbup:
Wouldn't it be a better option to go with the Morimoto Mini D2S or H1, as they have a 2,5" projector lens and will possibly have a better light output/cutoff.
+ The advantage of the D2S version is that it accepts original xenon (D2S) bulbs, and they are readily available.

Grtz,

Degake

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Super that it worked out for you!! :D
Have you taken your bike on a test ride with the new HID installed?
If so, how do you (and upcoming traffic :D) like the new lighting? :p

I absolutely love rizomas! I might be getting the new Graffio or the same as you :cheer:

Hmm, still no waterproof fuseholder?? :rolleyes:
By looking at that picture, I think the relay wouldn't have fit behind the sidepods, does it? But it doesn't take that much place under seat, so it's good there as it is :thumbup:

Grtz,

Degake

Thanks! I haven't had a chance to get it out on a real test ride yet (just around our parking lot at work), but the light output is superior and it does seem to work pretty well with the stock reflector. I'm sure there's still going to be some glare, but it should be minimal. I'm still in the process of getting the light pattern set to the right height, though.

I thought about the Graffios, but in the end, I opted for the cheaper Zero-11 ones. A bunch of the people I ride with have them, so I know they're bright and work well. :thumbup:

Yeah, I probably should still waterproof the fuse holder (these were taken right after I finished and got it working, so I just wanted to show the setup). But, with it being under the seat, I don't think they'll be any problems. I'm only in the rain MAYBE once a year, so it's not that big of a deal. But it is something I'm concerned about, so I'll probably get that taken care of soon.

I never even thought about putting the relay under the right side pod...hmm. I've never pulled that one (since most of the electrical stuff is under the left pod), so I'm not sure if there would be room there or not. Good idea, though!

I wasn't really concerned about losing space under the seat, as I've got a full compliment of Givi hard luggage if I need space. I typically only use the top case, though.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Why don't you get a HID extension cable? :)
You can then place the ballast under the tank, and still get the same accessibility to the plugs as you have now, plus it wouldn't be as cluttered with all those wires and ballast :)

Cliff really is the man to get all your electrical problems sorted :thumbup:
Too bad he lives across the globe :p

Completing something yourself always is a pleasant time :)
And more: feeling a bit more comfortable to mess around your bike will even give you some more insight to how your bike works and what you want to alter/improve and mod :D

Grtz,

Degake

I didn't even know HID extension cables existed! I'll have to go take a look at them, as I'd really rather put the ballast under the tank where it's more protected, than behind the headlight. Thanks for the heads up on that!

And Cliff is the man! He's been a HUGE bit of support on this (when I thought I was going to pull my hair out!) :D

And thanks for all your help too. You guys have both been invaluable! :rockon:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't even know HID extension cables existed! I'll have to go take a look at them, as I'd really rather put the ballast under the tank where it's more protected, than behind the headlight. Thanks for the heads up on that!

And Cliff is the man! He's been a HUGE bit of support on this (when I thought I was going to pull my hair out!) :D

And thanks for all your help too. You guys have both been invaluable! :rockon:

This is what you need: HID extension cable
Basically you just plug this cable between the ballast output and the bulb input :)
Make sure you get the longer extension cables (100cm /1m), as the short ones (50cm/ 0,5m) won't be long enough :) (you actually need around 65cm :)).
But hey, for $4-5 for the longest cable, it still doesn't cost much :p:D

Grtz,

Degake

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what you need: HID extension cable
Basically you just plug this cable between the ballast output and the bulb input :)
Make sure you get the longer extension cables (100cm /1m), as the short ones (50cm/ 0,5m) won't be long enough :) (you actually need around 65cm :)).
But hey, for $4-5 for the longest cable, it still doesn't cost much :p:D

Grtz,

Degake

Thanks so much for this! :thumbup: