bf048f7c.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so if I'm understanding you correctly, I won't need the relay that I got from Cliff. As far as the H4-4, I'm sure I'm just confusing it...lol. Here's what I can tell you for sure...when I switch from LO to HI beam, the bulb slides forward and back (and I can actually feel the click if I'm holding the headlight).

I'm going to go take a few pics right now so it will give you a better idea of what I've got...lol.

Here's the link to the original thread on R6 Forum. My bulb doesn't look like the ones pictured at the top of this thread, though. You'll see from the pictures.

Fs: Hid kits 55$ shipped : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

Exactly. The HID type you have needs the voltage for the low beam to be constant so that the bulb remains on. The effect of hi to lo beam is created by changing the lamps position hence directing the light upward. If you use the conventional H4 Halogen switching the HID will turn off the lamp when you turn on the hi beam. You actually want the old OEM light function where the lo beam stays lit. This is the circuit that will power your HID transformer.

So use the OEM black with green wire (lo beam) as your power source to the HID transformer and the black with yellow tracer for you HID hi beam.

If you've already got a European (or other country) naked single headlight bike, see this link for a solid lo beam pick off for you HIDs
Post#15 Here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/42676-does-relay-exist-2.html

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Does that relay have 2 plugs to connect to ballasts (so to power 2 ballasts?)
I would definately make that fuseholder waterproof or replace it with a waterproof one :)

That's indeed a H4-3 bulb :)
I'm curious for your light output :)

Grtz,

Degake

It does have two of the plugs. The main one is the one you see in the upper right that comes off the one ballast. The other one comes off the black block-like piece at the bottom of the picture (you can tell what they are by the yellow "rings" around the end of them.) Should I just tape the spare one (at the middle of the picture that won't be used) off so it's waterproofed?

I'm definitely going to make the fuseholder waterproof. It's going to be under the tank, but I still want it protected. :thumbup:

When we hooked it up (with the headlight off the bike) the other day and fired it up, the light output was great. Your comment makes me think you don't think the light output would be that good. Is that the case, or do you think it'll be ok?

Exactly. The HID type you have needs the voltage for the low beam to be constant so that the bulb remains on. The effect of hi to lo beam is created by changing the lamps position hence directing the light upward. If you use the conventional H4 Halogen switching the HID will turn off the lamp when you turn on the hi beam. You actually want the old OEM light function where the lo beam stays lit. This is the circuit that will power your HID transformer.

So use the OEM black with green wire (lo beam) as your power source to the HID transformer and the black with yellow tracer for you HID hi beam.

If you've already got a European (or other country) naked single headlight bike, see this link for a solid lo beam pick off for you HIDs
Post#15 Here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/42676-does-relay-exist-2.html

Ok, so that's good news that I won't need the extra relay (less wiring...lol). If you notice the plug to the left of the fuse holder, that plugs directly into the stock harness (think of it as the back of the regular halogen bulb). It's a quick and painless hook up...basically I've only got two wires to connect to the bike...the power wire (the round connection at the end of the fused wire) and the ground (which is hard to see, but has the same connector as the fused wire and is located just above the black box at the bottom of the picture).

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
It does have two of the plugs. The main one is the one you see in the upper right that comes off the one ballast. The other one comes off the black block-like piece at the bottom of the picture (you can tell what they are by the yellow "rings" around the end of them.) Should I just tape the spare one (at the middle of the picture that won't be used) off so it's waterproofed?

That "black block-like piece of plastic" is actually the relay of your HID wiring :D
If you use your stock OEM switching, as Cliff describes above (low beam on all the time), you should be able to work without that relay as well (the high beam plug could directly feed the solenoid input to create your high beam).

Cliff, is this correct?

As for that spare connector (if you have to use the relay harness ;)) , I would pull the pins out of the plug and put shrinking tube on every outlet... (this would leave you you with just the small pins instead the connector plug).

I'm definitely going to make the fuseholder waterproof. It's going to be under the tank, but I still want it protected. :thumbup:

i even don't get the wiring harness hasn't got one to begin with :confused:

When we hooked it up (with the headlight off the bike) the other day and fired it up, the light output was great. Your comment makes me think you don't think the light output would be that good. Is that the case, or do you think it'll be ok?

The light output of the HID bulb will be far better than the stock halogen bulb, that's for sure. :thumbup:
I was talking about shatter/glare with the combination of a HID bulb in a halogen reflector bowl.
Every reflector bowl will reflect light at a unique way, so I don't know how it will work out on your headlight :)
Same goes for your high beam: it all depends on how the light is reflected from the reflector bowl :)

If it doesn't turn out looking/working as good as you hoped, you could always retrofit a HID projector :D

Grtz,

Degake

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That "black block-like piece of plastic" is actually the relay of your HID wiring :D
If you use your stock OEM switching, as Cliff describes above (low beam on all the time), you should be able to work without that relay as well (the high beam plug could directly feed the solenoid input to create your high beam).

Cliff, is this correct?

Grtz,

Degake

Yes, there should be no need for that extra relay with fuse assembly. That is for a system that is switching the low beam off and if you wire this as I've described from the original OEM low beam signal there is not need for that fused H4 converter cable assembly. You just need the OEM headlamp circuit to do all you need. The OEM system is fused and ready to easily power
2 HIDs

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, there should be no need for that extra relay with fuse assembly. That is for a system that is switching the low beam off and if you wire this as I've described from the original OEM low beam signal there is not need for that fused H4 converter cable assembly. You just need the OEM headlamp circuit to do all you need. The OEM system is fused and ready to easily power
2 HIDs

That will be one easy wiring to complete :cheer:
- ground ballast
- ground solenoid
- low beam wire from oem headlight connector to ballast
- high beam wire from oem headlight connector to solenoid
- ballast cable to hid bulb
Finished!! :D

Grtz,

Degake

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
That will be one easy wiring to complete :cheer:
- ground ballast
- ground solenoid
- low beam wire from oem headlight connector to ballast
- high beam wire from oem headlight connector to solenoid
- ballast cable to hid bulb
Finished!! :D

Grtz,

Degake

Wow...I think I'm understanding, but to illustrate and make sure, here's a couple more pictures...

If I've got what you're saying, then I don't need ANY of what's on the right side of this picture? All I need are the things on the left side?

bafb158c.jpg

What's confusing me is the 3-prong plug that plugs directly into the stock harness. It's in that group of wiring on the right that comes out of the HID relay. If I removed all the stuff in the right side of the picture (simply by cutting the one long wire that runs between the two "halves"), how would I wire the HID to the stock harness? I realize as it is, it's a plug and play sort of thing and removing all that stuff on the right would require it to be wired to the bike rather than plugged in (and that's fine), but wouldn't I still need this 3-prong plug???

14d97d30.jpg

Again, to reiterate...you're saying I don't need ANY of this (the stuff on the right side of the picture)???:

608f885e.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow...I think I'm understanding, but to illustrate and make sure, here's a couple more pictures...

If I've got what you're saying, then I don't need ANY of what's on the right side of this picture? All I need are the things on the left side?

bafb158c.jpg

What's confusing me is the 3-prong plug that plugs directly into the stock harness. It's in that group of wiring on the right that comes out of the HID relay. If I removed all the stuff in the right side of the picture (simply by cutting the one long wire that runs between the two "halves"), how would I wire the HID to the stock harness? I realize as it is, it's a plug and play sort of thing and removing all that stuff on the right would require it to be wired to the bike rather than plugged in (and that's fine), but wouldn't I still need this 3-prong plug???

Again, to reiterate...you're saying I don't need ANY of this (the stuff on the right side of the picture)???:

As Degake said.

OEM low beam power to ballast transformer positve 12 VDC
OEM high beam power to solenoid/plunger that makes the bulb change position for high.
Hook up your grounds and you're good to go. Is that H4 harness hard wired or is it an optional plug n play?
If not you can mod it and save having all that extra relay and fuse out of the way. :D

How many pins are on the red connector? Is the H4 relay plugged into the red connector on the Transformer? I'll assume the the leads on the left top of the transformer go to you lamp assembly.

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
As Degake said.

OEM high beam power to solenoid/plunger that makes the bulb change position for high.
Hook up your grounds and you're good to go. Is that H4 harness hard wired or is it an optional plug n play?
If not you can mod it and save having all that extra relay and fuse out of the way. :D

How many pins are on the red connector? Is the H4 relay plugged into the red connector on the Transformer? I'll assume the the leads on the left top of the transformer go to you lamp assembly.

Whew...we're getting out of my pay grade here. Most of what you're saying there is complete Greek to me...lol.

Obviously I know which wires are which on the stock harness...and I know which wires are which on the 3-prong plug in the right of the photo...but we're talking about eliminating that. So now I'm lost.

Let me see if I can take each point and show you where I'm getting confused:

Again, I know which wire is the low beam power wire...but I have no clue what you're talking about when you say the "positive 12 VDC".

I don't know which "box" that is. The only thing I knew before Degake told me where the relay was, was that the square thing is the ballast. That's it.

Is that H4 harness hard wired or is it an optional plug n play?

The H4 harness being the HID harness? And hard wired or plug and play? I'm sorry...man...I'm a complete idiot when it comes to these things so you guys are gonna have to talk me through it like I'm a 10 year old. All I know is, it has a hot wire that we ran to the positive terminal on the battery and a ground wire that we did the same to (in order to test it). Other than that, I'm lost.

How many pins are on the red connector?

Two.

Is the H4 relay plugged into the red connector on the Transformer?

I would assume the answer is yes. That long black wire comes from the relay to the red connector (which I'm assuming is what you're calling the transformer?)

I'll assume the the leads on the left top of the transformer go to you lamp assembly.

That is correct. The connector with the yellow you see around the end connects to the lamp.

Guys, I apologize for being so stupid about this stuff. I thought when I was getting this kit, it would be nearly plug-and-play. I may have skipped it if I'd known it was going to be this much trouble (for you as well as me!).

But I do appreciate all the help you all are giving me. Bear with me just a bit longer and hopefully we'll get it figured out. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:p
Whew...we're getting out of my pay grade here. Most of what you're saying there is complete Greek to me...lol.

Obviously I know which wires are which on the stock harness...and I know which wires are which on the 3-prong plug in the right of the photo...but we're talking about eliminating that. So now I'm lost.

Let me see if I can take each point and show you where I'm getting confused:

Again, I know which wire is the low beam power wire...but I have no clue what you're talking about when you say the "positive 12 VDC".

I don't know which "box" that is. The only thing I knew before Degake told me where the relay was, was that the square thing is the ballast. That's it.

Is that H4 harness hard wired or is it an optional plug n play?

The H4 harness being the HID harness? And hard wired or plug and play? I'm sorry...man...I'm a complete idiot when it comes to these things so you guys are gonna have to talk me through it like I'm a 10 year old. All I know is, it has a hot wire that we ran to the positive terminal on the battery and a ground wire that we did the same to (in order to test it). Other than that, I'm lost.

How many pins are on the red connector?

Two.

Is the H4 relay plugged into the red connector on the Transformer?

I would assume the answer is yes. That long black wire comes from the relay to the red connector (which I'm assuming is what you're calling the transformer?)

I'll assume the the leads on the left top of the transformer go to you lamp assembly.

That is correct. The connector with the yellow you see around the end connects to the lamp.

Guys, I apologize for being so stupid about this stuff. I thought when I was getting this kit, it would be nearly plug-and-play. I may have skipped it if I'd known it was going to be this much trouble (for you as well as me!).

But I do appreciate all the help you all are giving me. Bear with me just a bit longer and hopefully we'll get it figured out. :thumbup:

Cory,
Absolutely don't feel that way Brother! We're talking about stuff that most people don't get near and we want to be sure you have the best set up. It's pretty hard to get er done when we're basically dealing with limited pictures and information.
We'll just take our time a get through it. If you did the headlight mod you'll easily have this down.

When I say positive 12 VDC to the transformer I mean the OEM lo beam wire. Black with green tracer will be your transformer power. That transformer will light the lamp. Plug into the Red connector.

The OEM high beam wire, black with yellow controls the part of the circuit that changes the bulb position. This is what we are calling the solenoid or plunger control. Plug into the Red connector.

If the lamp doesn't light when you start the bike, hit the hi beam switch and the lamp should fire. If this is the case swap the 2 wires going into the red connector. Unless of course you figure out which pin is lo beam and hi beam ahead of time. You can't hurt it. I'll just work funny until to swap the wires. So basically 3 wires to make it work correctly and to can save the other stuff for another project..

Just those 2 wires will plug into the red plug assembly. The other remaining wires should be ground (black) You can tie all remaining grounds together to the OEM headlamp ground wire (Black) That's it and why we are saying it's simple.
I apologize if I wasn't clear and we tend to do that sometimes assuming everyone knows what we know.
If you need to pick this apart you should have my mobile # and we can always PM. :D

Last edited:

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can wait a week or so I am working on an UPGRADE for all my VS-01 and VS-02 previous buyers... This will be a projector xenon setup with a DIRECT PLUG'n'PLAY wiring. Here is what I am working on.
2m5nn2e.jpg

546rf6.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are really nice! Will you have plug n play for both switched low beams and non switched low beams?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
:p

Cory,
Absolutely don't feel that way Brother! We're talking about stuff that most people don't get near and we want to be sure you have the best set up. It's pretty hard to get er done when we're basically dealing with limited pictures and information.
We'll just take our time a get through it. If you did the headlight mod you'll easily have this down.

When I say positive 12 VDC to the transformer I mean the OEM lo beam wire. Black with green tracer will be your transformer power. That transformer will light the lamp. Plug into the Red connector.

The OEM high beam wire, black with yellow controls the part of the circuit that changes the bulb position. This is what we are calling the solenoid or plunger control. Plug into the Red connector.

If the lamp doesn't light when you start the bike, hit the hi beam switch and the lamp should fire. If this is the case swap the 2 wires going into the red connector. Unless of course you figure out which pin is lo beam and hi beam ahead of time. You can't hurt it. I'll just work funny until to swap the wires. So basically 3 wires to make it work correctly and to can save the other stuff for another project..

Just those 2 wires will plug into the red plug assembly. The other remaining wires should be ground (black) You can tie all remaining grounds together to the OEM headlamp ground wire (Black) That's it and why we are saying it's simple.
I apologize if I wasn't clear and we tend to do that sometimes assuming everyone knows what we know.
If you need to pick this apart you should have my mobile # and we can always PM. :D

Cliff, you explained that perfectly. That really helped!

And no big deal on me not understanding. I'm not the most electrically-inclined person, so this stuff can get confusing quickly!

Vishnu, I would be REALLY interested in that upgrade. This would require the "baking" of the headlight, correct (to remove the front lens)? I've never done that before, so it would be something I'd be worried about trying (although I've seen it done by others a ton of times, so I know it's not THAT big of a deal).

Any idea on a price for the upgrade? :thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, Cliff. In thinking about what you said about attaching the hi/lo beam stock wires to the red connector, what would be the best way to do that? I'll try and get a shot of the connectors inside the red plug, but if you were doing this, what would be the route you would take?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
More pictures to try and explain things further...

I tried something. I hooked everything up as-is, but DIDN'T connect the fused power wire on the HID harness (I wanted to see if the bike would run the light without it being connected). Nothing. The hi/lo worked in that it would move the bulb's position, but the headlight wouldn't light.

This tells me this setup DOES need the fused power wire, right? So I can't discard the stuff on the right side of the harness. Ugh...I'm so confused!

Here's the red connector so you can see the connections inside:

5f067bb6.jpg

And the plug that currently plugs into it:

de160bf8.jpg

b8a133b2.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On my way out the door to go hiking but will return in a few hours...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like there are 2 pins in the red plug. You would need power to the transformer/ballast unit and the hi beam control. It looks as if you have the hi beam control but no power to the ballast. Power to the ballast must be the low beam power. But now that you're saying it doesn't light could there be a separate wire to power the transformer/ballast? Just 2 pins onn the red plug right?

Edit: What is this wire?
HIDxfrmr.jpg

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like there are 2 pins in the red plug. You would need power to the transformer/ballast unit and the hi beam control. It looks as if you have the hi beam control but no power to the ballast. Power to the ballast must be the low beam power. But now that you're saying it doesn't light could there be a separate wire to power the transformer/ballast? Just 2 pins onn the red plug right?

Edit: What is this wire?
HIDxfrmr.jpg

Yep, only two pins in there. And I would assume the fused wire on the other end of the harness is the power wire (since, when we hooked that to the battery the other day when testing the light, it worked perfectly).

That little plug you're asking about goes to the headlight. I took a couple of more pictures with the ends of the wires close to each other to show where they each go. The back of the headlight is at the top of the picture.

7325af3d.jpg

c8f50fba.jpg

40b08964.jpg