Valve Clearence checks....?

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
Ok guys a combination of circumstances (including a broken hand) meant that the Fazer was parked up for 8 months. I am now looking to get it serviced (i am totally useless at doing any maintenance myself :spank:) and back on the road. Its a 7 year old bike but has done just over 12000 miles. Alongside a regular annual service, what else should i be looking to get checked/done? Is it time to replace spark plugs? Is it a lot of work to get to the plugs to change them? Valve clearence checks? Anything else? Cam chain tensioner? I am afraid if i just leve it to the guys at the garage i might get fleeced.... :(

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys a combination of circumstances (including a broken hand) meant that the Fazer was parked up for 8 months. I am now looking to get it serviced (i am totally useless at doing any maintenance myself :spank:) and back on the road. Its a 7 year old bike but has done just over 12000 miles. Alongside a regular annual service, what else should i be looking to get checked/done? Is it time to replace spark plugs? Is it a lot of work to get to the plugs to change them? Valve clearence checks? Anything else? Cam chain tensioner? I am afraid if i just leve it to the guys at the garage i might get fleeced.... :(

Valve check interval is at 42,000km (or 26,000 miles).. Cam chain tensioner is a no check item... it's automatic... Spark plugs are a breeze, did mine on my former '07 in about 20 mins tops... Oh, and learn how to wrench... it should be a requirement, if you're a man...;)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would start with the the list of scheduled maintenance in the manual and go from there.

Definitely:

• Check air filter, perhaps replace
  • Clean injectors using a fuel treamtent (seafoam)
  • Synch throttle bodies
  • Change brake fluid front and rear (FOR SURE) and inspect condition of brake lines
  • Inspect age and condition of tires, including pressure
  • Change engine oil and probably the oil filter
Perhaps:

• Plugs, does not hurt
  • Perhaps change engine coolant
  • Check steering head bearings (especially if it's been outside)...just elevate the front end and grab the forks like a man
  • Hopefully your battery is still good
  • Lube control lines and controls as needed
  • Since its an only bike with 12K I'm sure the fork oil is sludge unlesss it was changed recently

that's all I've got off the top

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would start with the the list of scheduled maintenance in the manual and go from there.

Definitely:

• Check air filter, perhaps replace
  • Clean injectors using a fuel treamtent (seafoam)
  • Synch throttle bodies
  • Change brake fluid front and rear (FOR SURE) and inspect condition of brake lines ** AS WELL as caliper piston boots, slides, and brake pads! **
  • Inspect age and condition of tires, including pressure (Replace if OEM)
  • Change engine oil and probably the oil filter
  • Change engine coolant
  • Perform Torque check of all fastener; fenders, axle bolts, pinch bolts, engine bolts, brake and clutch levers {{lube them). Leave nothing to chance and you'll learn allot too.

Perhaps:

• Plugs, does not hurt
  • Perhaps change engine coolant (MOVED UP)
  • Check steering head bearings (especially if it's been outside)...just elevate the front end and grab the forks like a man
  • Hopefully your battery is still good
  • Lube control lines and controls as needed
  • Since its an only bike with 12K I'm sure the fork oil is sludge unless it was changed recently

that's all I've got off the top

+1
Very Well Said!!!

Last edited: