V-strom envy....

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a serious Suzuki V-strom envy.

I want to so some off road stuff but damn I don't want to torture my FZ6.

I am planning a cross country trip next summer, my father is probably going to pick up the new '12 V-Strom 650 for the trip this winter. I can't wait to ride it haha.

I am not afraid to take the Fazer to gravel or dirt roads, but I crave to really take a bike offroad.

I wish I had more money so I wouldn't have to choose between bikes. I would probably have like 12, LOL.

The vstrom is about 95% street 5% gravel road. It is not much more off road capable than your fz6 if you were to put dual sport tires on it. It is more of a "touring adventure" bike.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the adventure bike part of the V-Strom. Folks I know who have 250's and even larger dual sports love them for trail riding.

Older than your dad and love my FZ6!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point. I didn't consider the weight aspect.

Plastic bags?

I want something waterproof. But I am worried that if i drop the bike the bags will be the first to hit the ground and break)

Softbags with drybags. Check out giantloop or dirtbagz for some ideas. Also kryga and rolliebag system. Get on advrider and do some lurking. Lots of fun in your future!

Just bought a 4.7+ gallon tank for my wr250r and should now be good for close to 300 mile range!!! Talk about an adv bike! Plus with 17s the thing shames sportbikes in the tight stuff.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For y'all saying that the vstrom is no more capable than a fz6 off road I have a question, have y'all ever taken a vstrom off road or owned one? Looking at the 2 bikes on paper it would be easy to say that it's not much more capable than the fz but when you get out there It really is. It's all the little things that add up that make the vstrom much easier to ride off road than the fz. The suspension being much softer and having more travel, more ground clearance, larger front wheel, peg placement, a more torquey engine, and a HUGE plus for any adv rider, the available off road farkles for it. Now I'm not saying the dl is a great off road bike because it's not but it is much better off road than the fz. I don't think I could manage more than 2hr off road on the fz before I got tired of the bike beating me around, the most I've done so far was a hr and even that felt like a beating. The vstrom on the other hand I've had off road for days at a time with no complaints.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
For y'all saying that the vstrom is no more capable than a fz6 off road I have a question, have y'all ever taken a vstrom off road or owned one? Looking at the 2 bikes on paper it would be easy to say that it's not much more capable than the fz but when you get out there It really is. It's all the little things that add up that make the vstrom much easier to ride off road than the fz. The suspension being much softer and having more travel, more ground clearance, larger front wheel, peg placement, a more torquey engine, and a HUGE plus for any adv rider, the available off road farkles for it. Now I'm not saying the dl is a great off road bike because it's not but it is much better off road than the fz. I don't think I could manage more than 2hr off road on the fz before I got tired of the bike beating me around, the most I've done so far was a hr and even that felt like a beating. The vstrom on the other hand I've had off road for days at a time with no complaints.

I think it's fairly obvious that v-strom is no enduro type of a bike. But like you said suspension, ground clearance etc make it more off road capable than FZ6.

Problem of getting an enduro bike would be the fact that it would have to be used as a commuter and grand tourer too. It's not going to work.

Yes, v-strom is not going to start hopping on big rocks or do serious off roading.

It needs to be comfortable too whenever it would be used as a serious touring bike.

Here's what i have in mind that I would like to use the v-strom for.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_p6AYZi5r4]V-Strom Ride - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymVR8468Ms]V-Strom Cave Ride - YouTube[/ame]

And yes gravel roads or dirt roads are fair game for the FZ6, i know because I have done it. I am worried about stuff that needs a bigger clearance., deeper mud etc. I suppose it falls more into the adventure riding category than off roading. I should have been clearer. My bad, Ia m from NYC so anything that doesn't have a asphalt is "off roading to me" haha.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
New V strom 1000

Ha!

Check this monstrosity! Just when I thought v-stroms couldn't get possibly uglier, they bring out this caricature.

Suzuki’s bringing back the V-Strom 1000 | Hell for Leather

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/10/...012-suzuki-v-strom-1000-concept-breaks-cover/

I wonder if they have made any reduction in weight.

Two things really stand out to me.

Radially mounted brakes and better front suspension. Might be nice for a bike that looks to be geared more towards the touring with a hint of adventure on the side.

Ohh and they have also added traction control.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: New V strom 1000

I purchased a Vstrom 1000 almost a year ago now. Since then I have put almost 20000 miles on it and been to 22 states and couldnt be happier. Ive taken it off road for about 60 miles as well. Im not going looking for trails to ride but when I find a gravel road, Im not going to turn around.

I have mine more set up for long distance touring and for rallies. Check out my blog for more info on it.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: New V strom 1000

Ha!

Check this monstrosity! Just when I thought v-stroms couldn't get possibly uglier, they bring out this caricature.

Suzuki’s bringing back the V-Strom 1000 | Hell for Leather

Intermot 2012: Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Concept Breaks Cover - Motorcycle.com News | Motorcycle.com News

I wonder if they have made any reduction in weight.

Two things really stand out to me.

Radially mounted brakes and better front suspension. Might be nice for a bike that looks to be geared more towards the touring with a hint of adventure on the side.

Ohh and they have also added traction control.

I think they're trying to copy the look of the new BMW GS.