V-strom envy....

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a serious Suzuki V-strom envy.

I want to so some off road stuff but damn I don't want to torture my FZ6.

I am planning a cross country trip next summer, my father is probably going to pick up the new '12 V-Strom 650 for the trip this winter. I can't wait to ride it haha.

I am not afraid to take the Fazer to gravel or dirt roads, but I crave to really take a bike offroad.

I wish I had more money so I wouldn't have to choose between bikes. I would probably have like 12, LOL.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I really don't think the V-Strom is particularly more off-road capable than the FZ6. Perhaps a little due to the larger front wheel, but I doubt it's a night and day difference. If you really want an off roader, I'd get something like the F800GS or Tiger 800XC

Saying that, I've taken my bike on a fairly serious off road trail (not on purpose), and it came out fine (well once I got a park ranger to get me unstuck). Bounced the headers off some rocks a few times, but there wasn't any damage.

If you put some more off road oriented tires (I run Pilot Road 3's) and fab a bash guard for the headers and oil filter, I think it would be 99% as off road worthy as a V-Strom.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking about the 2012 650 Adventure. Petty nice package. Much better looking than the older V-stroms. I like the MPG's on the 650 with the gas prices and you get ABS, crash bars and aluminum boxes much cheaper than you could outfit the cheaper no farkle model with add-ons later....Hmmmm:rolleyes:
They've also switched the motor over to a modified 650 from the Gladius (sp?) modifying it for better fuel mileage and a better matched power band for the V-strom

But.....I just love the way my 996 pulls and handles!

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had two Vstroms over the years and I think that the FZ6 is just as capable. The Vstroms have a high centre of gravity, heavy and tall which don't add up to good off roader. I had considered the new Vstrom but there wasn't enough of a change for me to consider it. Gas mileage is only marginally better. My FZ6 gets better gas mileage than my Vstroms ever did and at around 62hp it makes for a pretty boring ride. The 2012 has a better motor in terms of vibration and noise but still has around the same horsepower. The bike was lightened a touch so yes better than the old bike but still boring in my opinion. Forgot to mention it also one fugly looking bike.

She,s no FZ6

Suzuki_vstrom_dl650_motorcycle.jpg

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking about the 2012 650 Adventure. Petty nice package. Much better looking than the older V-stroms. I like the MPG's on the 650 with the gas prices and you get ABS, crash bars and aluminum boxes much cheaper than you could outfit the cheaper no farkle model with add-ons later....Hmmmm:rolleyes:
They've also switched the motor over to a modified 650 from the Gladius (sp?) modifying it for better fuel mileage and a better matched power band for the V-strom

But.....I just love the way my 996 pulls and handles!

My father wants a touring capable bike. We are going NYC to LA. LA to Van Couver, Ca then back to NYC.

I think the 650 should be good enough and from what I hear it's lighter and easier to handle than the 1000 DL. He is going to use it as a commuter too.

I am pushing him more towards getting the cheaper (naked) model. I have seen some nice aftermarket aluminum panniers or even the Pelican boxes. All in all aftermarket farkels added it's going to cost pretty much the same as the MSRP of the Adventure 650 model.

My father is 50 years young, but he just doesn't appreciate the fun side of an inline 4 engine.

I think the parallel v-twin engine of the V-Strom is going to suit him more with power in the low and mid range.

You have FZ1? Nice. I wanted to persuade him to think about getting the FZ1, but he like the V-strom better.

He is also toying with the idea of getting the Kawasaki Concours.

We'll see what happens.

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
You can't just buy an offroad bike and then you will be able to go anywhere. You have to spend time practicing offroad driving to be able to actually use the capabilities of such a bike, and that's what people don't seem to do very much.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a serious Suzuki V-strom envy.

I want to so some off road stuff but damn I don't want to torture my FZ6.

I am planning a cross country trip next summer, my father is probably going to pick up the new '12 V-Strom 650 for the trip this winter. I can't wait to ride it haha.

I am not afraid to take the Fazer to gravel or dirt roads, but I crave to really take a bike offroad.

I wish I had more money so I wouldn't have to choose between bikes. I would probably have like 12, LOL.

I had a 06 vstrom 650 for a while and I loved the bike, it's no hardcore adv bike that's for sure but it can still just about anything as long as the rider can too. The power was good enough to keep to satisfied without tempting me and it was way more comfortable than the fz. As far as taking the fz off road vs a vstrom, I've been pretty surprised at where all I've taken my fz, many gravel roads dirt roads and even some that were no longer roads at all. I have even played around in a few mud holes with it :BAN: (maybe that's why my headers are mud stained) View attachment 45018View attachment 45019

Still, even though I wouldn't call the dl a hardcore adv bike it's still more capable off road than the fz. It just feels easier to ride off road with the suspension and everything else, plus with the way the pegs and bars are it makes it a whole lot easier to stand up and ride when things get real rough.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You can't just buy an offroad bike and then you will be able to go anywhere. You have to spend time practicing offroad driving to be able to actually use the capabilities of such a bike, and that's what people don't seem to do very much.

That's a big one right there!!! Knowing how to handle a bike off road is huge, a couple of guys I ride with have some "big" adventure bikes and one in particular has a BMW GS 1200 and he took us down some trails that I was having a hard time on my klr while he was making it look easy on his GS

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
I really don't think the V-Strom is particularly more off-road capable than the FZ6. Perhaps a little due to the larger front wheel, but I doubt it's a night and day difference. If you really want an off roader, I'd get something like the F800GS or Tiger 800XC

Saying that, I've taken my bike on a fairly serious off road trail (not on purpose), and it came out fine (well once I got a park ranger to get me unstuck). Bounced the headers off some rocks a few times, but there wasn't any damage.

If you put some more off road oriented tires (I run Pilot Road 3's) and fab a bash guard for the headers and oil filter, I think it would be 99% as off road worthy as a V-Strom.

My buddy has a tiger 800xc. WOW what a bike! One of the most comfy bikes I've ever sat on. He will take that thing anywhere, plus when we ride together we just stay on the roads and try to find the curviest ones we can....and he can just about run away and leave me if he wanted to and I'm no slouch. Thats on stock tires and those spoke wheels. He "thinks" my bike is faster on the straights because he has "struggled" to keep up under hard acceleration......but he's never noticed me tap dancing on the shifter while he's just twisting the throttle. I'd love to own one.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I stop by the stealership I had to wait to the salesman to be available. So I looked at the FZ1, FZ8 and the Tenere was right next to them. It did look like a tank compare to the other two. But I sat on it and I was surprise how comfy it was. If I had to get a second bike I will put the adventure bike high on my list.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
What about the yamaha tenere 660 for a off roader with road capable ... 1 of theose rigged to tour looks nice and seeing as yamaha also seems to have that umph in theyre engines its a good all rounder :thumbup:

If i were to change i would seriously consider that ...

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there isn't a 660 Tenere available in the states...

At least not that I've seen :don'tknow:

Would probably be drooling over one if there was, so it's probably a good thing...

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
the seat is really high on the early 660 models. only with 2011 and later they've lowered it.

zoner

Reaction score
www.moabtimes.com
There really is no perfect bike. If I went to having four, it would still not be enough. You'll never be comfortable on the open road on a bike that easily handles eight foot face shots, and no typical "adventure" bike can run the nasty trails that interest me. My personal conclusion has been to use the '07 WR450 as my "adventure" bike, using Voile (ski) straps to attach minimalist gear, use the '06 FZ6 for an economical, affordable, and real honest to God street bike, and keep the '10 300XCW tuned for the super gnarly, with trials tire, auto clutch, the works.

You just have to decide what trip your going to be on, and live with the consequences of your decisions. A dirt bike is painful on the highway but you'll survive. It's a much better scenario than a V Strom on Black Bear Pass. Perhaps a used KLR650 is the best value for a general purpose bike that doesn't do anything particularly well.

The important thing is to ride. And the more bikes you have, the more time you will need to spend wrenching to keep them up to snuff.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
But it't not really much of an option for multi-day trips into the outback. No hard panniers on a smaller bike like the DR 650.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Hard panniers are nothing but a heavy/expensive luxury that hinder a bike's outright performance. If you get a 2012 strom and load it up with hard luggage you are not goinig to do much other than fire roads, even with fully knobby tires. You can put soft/light luggage on a 650 single and head out for weeks.

FWIW, people mount hard bags on 250s, 400s, 650s, etc....but it defeats the purpose for me.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've recently bought a KTM 690 Enduro R for a bit of offroading and hopefully touring on later on. Fooking awesome fun so far and that's only after one weekend :)

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Hard panniers are nothing but a heavy/expensive luxury that hinder a bike's outright performance. If you get a 2012 strom and load it up with hard luggage you are not goinig to do much other than fire roads, even with fully knobby tires. You can put soft/light luggage on a 650 single and head out for weeks.

FWIW, people mount hard bags on 250s, 400s, 650s, etc....but it defeats the purpose for me.

Good point. I didn't consider the weight aspect.

Plastic bags?

I want something waterproof. But I am worried that if i drop the bike the bags will be the first to hit the ground and break.

My father is probably going to get the V-strom, and I am just toying with an idea of getting one too. But I am leaning more towards something like the DR400 or DR650. (or other makers' counterparts to these bikes)