Two-up woes

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I disagree with the call that the FZ6 is not a great bike 2 up...i have done nearly half of the 40000km's on my FZ6's 2 up, and i reckon it's pretty decent....just gotta wind up that rear spring to 7, and keep everything nice and smooth...

:thumbup:

Yeah, I guess I need to make some changes, give it another try, then make a judgement. The seat is really what needs fixing... I sent an email off to Corbin voicing my concerns...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife rides on the back often enough. I go out of my way to be as smooth as possible when she's riding with me. No issues of any kind.
Stock seat and preload cranked to 7.
She's been known to say "I almost fell asleep back there" after the ride :D

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife rides on the back often enough. I go out of my way to be as smooth as possible when she's riding with me. No issues of any kind.

Yeah, being unsmooth amplifies the uncomfortableness for sure. I have the combi-kit from hyperpro that included a better progressive rear spring. I'm not how sure The preload is set at 5, and it felt ok riding two up. I'm definitely going to work on the smoothness.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The grab rails work well for my wife. She is 5'3" and I have the stock seat. I also have a topcase on the back that she can lean against. I can't even tell she is back there....even under hard braking.

Were you braking hard or something? Use that rear brake to your advantage...it works really well with a passenger back there or when loaded up with camping gear.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't help but what Have2BeFree said sounds great. My '09 has never given any problems, either with a tiny girlfriend or a large son.
Perhaps it's just your heavy braking technique, (which is always more fun with a girl on behind ; )? Just kidding man. I do sympathize.
I hope you find what works for you both. It is disappointing to try out a new option and find that it is not what you expected it to be. Good luck!

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
It is disappointing to try out a new option and find that it is not what you expected it to be. Good luck!

Yeah, and with what you and Defy, and others have pointed out, I need to be more adaptive to her being on the bike also. I knew that braking and steering would be compromised with a passenger, but I think actively trying to be more smooth will help tremendously. That, and a traction friendly butt surface should make the two-up riding experience much more fun.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Ditto...last ride i went on with my missus, she told me after that she was nearly asleep on a couple of occasions...and i was'nt hanging about either!

The grab rails work well for my wife. She is 5'3" and I have the stock seat. I also have a topcase on the back that she can lean against. I can't even tell she is back there....even under hard braking.

Were you braking hard or something? Use that rear brake to your advantage...it works really well with a passenger back there or when loaded up with camping gear.

+1, the rear brake is very important when riding 2 up, it's a different riding style completely to one up riding...it's all about keeping that bike as parralel to the ground as possible from front to back wheel, even under hard braking...IMHO!

cowauto

Stop raining on me!
Reaction score
Visit site

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I disagree with the call that the FZ6 is not a great bike 2 up...i have done nearly half of the 40000km's on my FZ6's 2 up, and i reckon it's pretty decent....just gotta wind up that rear spring to 7, and keep everything nice and smooth...

Half? My bike has 46,000 odd km on and probably 90% is two up. She never complains, I never complain, it handles, brakes, does everything as good two up as one up. She doesn't hold the grab rail or me, just sits with her hands on her knees and I don't even know she is there.

Sounds like some passenger training is required.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Half? My bike has 46,000 odd km on and probably 90% is two up. She never complains, I never complain, it handles, brakes, does everything as good two up as one up. She doesn't hold the grab rail or me, just sits with her hands on her knees and I don't even know she is there.

I agree, this experience is exactly as mine....i have this thing where i like to check my mirrors, just to make csure she still is there! ridiculous i know, but it should be like that on an FZ6.

My most experienced pillion, takes great photo's from the back of a bike...and can pretty much run a phone, camera, ipod, whilst sitting on the back...

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site

As I said, she's not had problems with previous, less comfortable bikes (CBR). I think the crappy seat surface and non-functional backrest is what kept her uncomfortable...

Good for you and your two-up bliss. We're looking forward to that.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Being silky smooth is definitely the best way of increasing pillion comfort and reduce turtle f***ing (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/28559-moto-slang-3.html#post294419)

If its a new passenger you're entertaining, then I've heard good things about love handles. Motrax Love Handles - SPORTSBIKESHOP They help whoever's on the back to lean with you into corners, and generally feel happier.

hahahaha That's hilarious. Thanks for the love handles link also--those look pretty cool as long I could keep her from pushing forward and driving my grapes into the tank.:eek:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is how she sits (yeah yeah I know ATGATT) :spank:

20100824102854778_0002600x422.jpg

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
It's the seat!!!
My bike came with a corbin and my wife said "NEVER AGAIN"
We switched to the stock and she gets sleepy. The corbin is made for grippy leathers.

You can change to the stock or try this stuff