Two-up woes

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
So after two years of riding my FZ, I finally gained the means to go out and splurge on gear for my wife so she could enjoy the occasional ride. I actually bought this FZ6 specifically to include her in my riding, since my CBR was so uncomfortable for her. I also purchased the 'ladyfighter' seat from Corbin that comes with a removable backrest, so she could lean back.

Well, we hit the road this past weekend on a two hour long trip to a nearby state park. It didn't go so well. We didn't crash, which is good, but it was uncomfortable for both of us, and I don't think it was her fault.

First, with a sportbike, the passenger seat is tilted more forward and is closer to the tank, so a passenger can easily reach around and brace themselves against the tank under braking. Well, the FZ6's passenger seat is a little farther back from the tank, and the driver's (my) position is more upright, so my wife couldn't reach the tank to brace herself under braking, which was a big PITA. Those grab rails aren't as functional for her either, because her lower half would still slide forward under braking when she held on to the rails.

Now, I understnad part of this is her getting used to the bike, and getting used to being a passenger, but we never had these problems with my CBR.

Also, I think a major contributing factor was the seat. I love Corbin seats, but I think this ladyfighter is a bit of a flop. First, the surface of the seat is extremely slippery. I guess I hadn't noticed how bad it was until I actually sat in the passenger seat on my own bike. I don't know why Corbin wouldn't make the surface of the entire seat (especially the passenger seat) a more rough/abrasive material or rubbery textured like truck bed liner of tank pad type of material. Secondly, the Corbin backrest has some adjustablity to it. It can stick almost straight up or recline back. Every time she leaned back on it, it would recline and make her butt slide down toward me even worse. I can't fix the seat in one place so she can put more weight on it, so the backrest in virtually useless.

Overall, I think our problems are a combination of things, but I was wondering what any of you might think we could do differently. I know a good seamstress who is going to sew a rubber-type material to the seat for more traction, and I think if we practice more, we'll be more comfortable at it...

Also, I felt her grabbing and pushing off on my hips/upper thighs under braking to try to keep from smashing into me. I was wondering about maybe fabricating some handles to connect to the subframe on both sides just so she has something in front of her to grab and push off on under braking. When we both squeezed our legs, it helped, but I think it would be better if she could use her arms in front of her somehow... What do you all think?

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Before you go spending money on altering the seat, try getting one of those drawer/shelf liners that they sell at any department store. The are sticky and can be put on the seat when your wife is riding and easily removed when she's not. They work too.

I have never ridden on the back of the FZ but have been on the back of many different bikes. Yes, bracing yourself against the tank is helpful but she could also brace her lower half by using her feet and pushing against the pegs.

You may also need to adjust your riding style with her on the back to accomodate her needs - like braking sooner and lighter, slowing down in the twisties, etc.

This is why I don't take passengers LOL. The other option is to get her riding her own bike :thumbup:

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Before you go spending money on altering the seat, try getting one of those drawer/shelf liners that they sell at any department store. The are sticky and can be put on the seat when your wife is riding and easily removed when she's not. They work too.

I have never ridden on the back of the FZ but have been on the back of many different bikes. Yes, bracing yourself against the tank is helpful but she could also brace her lower half by using her feet and pushing against the pegs.

You may also need to adjust your riding style with her on the back to accomodate her needs - like braking sooner and lighter, slowing down in the twisties, etc.

This is why I don't take passengers LOL. The other option is to get her riding her own bike :thumbup:

I know exactly what you are talking about, and I'm going to get one of those drawer liners today, thank you.

Several times I told her to use her feet, but I she said that it put a weird pressure on her knees that was painful. I think the way her legs were bent make it hard to push off with her feet...

Good points about being smooth. I never realized how abrupt I could be with braking (especially with steel lines) and also accelerating (espcially with sprocket changes) but I notice it with her on there for sure...

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
Well.. the S2 seat is really good, anti-slip all the way. First couple of rides weren't comfortable. But now it's great, I can go as fast as I want and she handles it well. Even emergency brakes going downhill is no problem. She puts her chest against my back and 'gives me a big hug' so to speak :BLAA: Also squeezing her legs like she's riding a horse.

It's true that she can't reach the tank but under 'normal' riding she either holds my belly or my upperlegs.. or a combination of both. No problem so far! :cheer:

Just give it a few more goes and try the stock seat :thumbup: (judging by your avatar you have the S2 version with anti-slip)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well.. the S2 seat is really good, anti-slip all the way. ...........Just give it a few more goes and try the stock seat :thumbup: (judging by your avatar you have the S2 version with anti-slip)

Bryan, I'm not sure if the anti slip seat is standard on the US bikes.

EDIT:I'm now sure it's not, Just found this

Last edited:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that your two up trip didn't go so well. I wonder if you might have started with something shorter than a two hour drive if it might have helped.

I've never been on the back of an FZ6 but I know my wife is very comfortable back there and I have a stock seat too. I agree with needing to be mindful of having another rider on the bike and adjusting your riding style. I have gotten an earful for taking a turn to tight or watching my speed.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i tried sitting on the back of my bike to see what it was like... it was blody terrifying!

it may have been something to do with having the back of the bike on paddock stands though :D

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site

+1 and +1 :)

I love my slippery Corbin seat but I have wondered about the passenger position. I would rather they stick and not move around. I though I solved that problem with an Axio tank bag but the other day she asked "That comes off right? I would sit where that is?" Oh well. Might be time to by a third bike, that 250 Ninja I've wanted to have for kicks....

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Well.. the S2 seat is really good, anti-slip all the way. ,,,,,,,,,,
Just give it a few more goes and try the stock seat :thumbup: (judging by your avatar you have the S2 version with anti-slip)

Bryan, I'm not sure if the anti slip seat is standard on the US bikes.

EDIT:I'm now sure it's not, Just found this

Yamaha makes a sticker than stock, stock seat? I really dislike the stock seat that was on my 06 because it was too sticky. When did they start putting them out? (US rider)

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my seat customized with an extra inch for the pillion. It's dead flat and with the position of the front section rides very well 2 up.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my seat customized with an extra inch for the pillion. It's dead flat and with the position of the front section rides very well 2 up.

This was also a thought of mine. If there was a hump between the two of us, lower body weight could rest against it under braking. The set up now is slanted toward me, so she's fighting the slippery seat and gravity...

mukulu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem with my Fz. I bought a Grippy Seat Cover from ebay, and it works brilliantly. I am almost always two-up, and never have any problems.
I just checked and its called a Triboseat.

Last edited:

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
The nice, comfortable and anti slip seat only came stock on european models ... my naked has it :D:D:D

The stock seat wasn't so bad, but those anti-slip seats are just one more reason why to wish I could tap into the European motorcycle market here in the states. You guys have it SO good.;)

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem with my Fz. I bought a Grippy Seat Cover from ebay, and it works brilliantly. I am almost always two-up, and never have any problems.
I just checked and its called a Triboseat.

Thank you! :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont know what everybody else has written, cause i only got to Corbin Seat in the OP, and pressed reply...

I have 04-06, 07+ FZ6 OEM seats, and a a Corbin like yours...non of my pillions like the Corbin, in fact, my most experienced pillion, who could hang on quite happily at a race track at "warp speed", said it was the biggest piece of crap ever!

Problem is, the material it is made of has no grip, and it tilts forward, and everytime you brake, your pillion cannot hang on...at all...

Makes me sad, cause the Corbin seat is very comfortable for me...

Go figure!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO...Send the seat back to Corbin have the material changed to non-slip, have them raise and level the pillion portion by at least 1" and if it suits you move it forward 1" as well,(you end up with a nice little back rest) try to find some passenger peg lowering kits. Thats about all you can do, they aren't the best for 2 up riding in general....

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Problem is, the material it is made of has no grip, and it tilts forward, and everytime you brake, your pillion cannot hang on...at all...

Go figure!

Exactly. It's hard to believe that a company with such good craftsmanship doesn't think about this (or test their own products)

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO...Send the seat back to Corbin have the material changed to non-slip, have them raise and level the pillion portion by at least 1" and if it suits you move it forward 1" as well,(you end up with a nice little back rest) try to find some passenger peg lowering kits. Thats about all you can do, they aren't the best for 2 up riding in general....

All of these sound good to me, but you are right--the FZ6 unfortunately is not a great two-up bike. It's not terrible, just not great either.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All of these sound good to me, but you are right--the FZ6 unfortunately is not a great two-up bike. It's not terrible, just not great either.

I disagree with the call that the FZ6 is not a great bike 2 up...i have done nearly half of the 40000km's on my FZ6's 2 up, and i reckon it's pretty decent....just gotta wind up that rear spring to 7, and keep everything nice and smooth...

:thumbup: