Two bros: How loud is too loud?

Everyone has their own opinion. How loud is too loud? There are numerous studies that give specific research data on what it too loud. I have my head stuck in large bore diesel engine bays quite a bit. I know loud. The point I was making is that what you think is loud is going to be different that what others think and when you're in the minority and live in a big city like myself it doesn't matter what you think.

I work for a city. Our garbage trucks can't go out until 7:30am because of the cities noise bylaws. But really I guess we should just tell all the tax payers too bad cause we don't think its too loud and we like it. give me a break.

I love the sound of a fine tuned exhaust but some things are just too loud. why dont you just go open header then. dump it right after the collector. that would be sick. so loud and sound so nice. everyone would love it.:shakehead:

I love the sound of a fine tuned exhaust but some things are just too loud. why dont you just go open header then

The sound difference between the loudest glass pack, and open headers is a MAJOR difference, probably 30db(which is a lot).

Have you even heard an engine with no muffler? I'm guessing not if you relate certain mufflers to open headers.

Nobody is dumb enough to run open headers on the street, and if they are then I agree they should be taught a lesson. But you are simply reaching for straws here.

The sound difference between the loudest glass pack, and open headers is a MAJOR difference, probably 30db(which is a lot).

Have you even heard an engine with no muffler? I'm guessing not if you relate certain mufflers to open headers.

Nobody is dumb enough to run open headers on the street, and if they are then I agree they should be taught a lesson. But you are simply reaching for straws here.

I was being facetious. I've heard more engines than you can shake a stick at. That's not the issue. I don't even know what the argument is anymore. Is the two bros exhaust loud. Yes, yes they are. If you say they aren't you are the one pulling at straws.

There is no point to this really.

Plain and simple. Two Brothers Racing mufflers are not road legal. TBR states it is for racing use only. In the area where I live, if your exhaust is not stock, it better have DOT certification or you will get a ticket and a notice to fix.

The Cruiser part of the motorcycling spectrum has been hit hard, especially after all of the complaints that have surfaced here recently.
I will admit that I had a loud exhaust on my Honda CX500. I used OEM Sportster 883 pipes. I kept the mufflers stock. While louder than the factory setup at full throttle, they were actually quieter below 5000 rpm than the Honda cans.

The sound quality has a factor too. The deep rumble of a big block Chevelle with Flowmasters will grab my attention sooner than the buzzy, farty exhaust note of a tarted up Civic.

I believe Akrapovic is the only aftermarket exhaust that is legal in the USA for road use. While I like the sound of a nicely tuned exhaust, just not at 2:30 a.m. I am a firm believer in choices, and as long as you choice does not drastically annoy others, you are fine. I have no problem with loud exhausts, just respect others during "quiet hours" and most of the complaints the non riding public has will disappear.

That and I doubt most members here are the type to "warm up" their bike at 7000 rpm at 5 a.m. before he/she heads to work.:D

I personally didn't really think the dB killers made any difference. I too thought the 2bros pipes were obnoxiously loud when I first installed but love them now. Like Necro said above. Give it some time.

The ones you did not think made a difference... were they the P1, P3 or P4 tips?

Thanks!!

I was being facetious. I've heard more engines than you can shake a stick at. That's not the issue. I don't even know what the argument is anymore. Is the two bros exhaust loud. Yes, yes they are. If you say they aren't you are the one pulling at straws.

There is no point to this really.
Oh okay, no harm no foul :)

Yes, the two brothers are LOUD. No argument from me. But not much louder than many other aftermarket exhausts for sportbikes.

Loud being a relative term that's different for each and every person.

The Cruiser part of the motorcycling spectrum has been hit hard, especially after all of the complaints that have surfaced here recently.

The point I have been trying to make is that the Cruiser segment is the most visible in this issue because of the sheer numbers of them when compared to other segments of the sport. But when law makers and city/county/state officials (as well as those at the federal level who are considering this issue) write legislation dealing with the noise issue the rulings do not say "Cruisers" or "Harley's" or "V-Twins", the language is "motorcycle.

When Myrtle Beach, SC decided that enough was more than enough they did not cancel just the Harley rally, they canceled both of them.

99 db (or whatever) is 99 db regardless of whether it comes from a cruiser, sport bike or off road bike.

Bruce

This came out in the recent issue of Dealer News Magazine. Just thought I'd share it.

Bruce

Boston Outlaws Exhausts Without EPA CertificationPublish date: Jul 1, 2009

The City of Boston earlier this month enacted an ordinance outlawing motorcycle exhaust systems that are not approved for on-road use by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

According to the new law, passed June 3, "No person shall park, use or operate a motorcycle within the city of Boston, manufactured subsequent to Dec. 31, 1982, that does not bear the required applicable Federal EPA exhaust system label pursuant Code of Federal Regulations Title 40, Volume 24, Part 205, Subparts D and Subpart E."

The Boston Police Department has the authority to fine any motorcycle that doesn't display the federally required label. All violations are punishable by a $300 fine.

In a June 1 note to the Boston City Council, Maureen Feeney, chair of the committee of government relations, wrote that the new law "would simply give local authorities a tool to better enforce existing noise standards."

City residents, representatives from the Boston Police Department, the Environment Department and the Transportation Department testified in support of the initiative at a May 26 public hearing. Residents in attendance at the hearing described how loud motorcycle noise disturbs the atmosphere of their neighborhoods, especially in areas like the historic North End, during warm months.

"This ordinance isn't creating a new noise standard, but simply providing a tool to increase local enforcement," Feeney wrote.

A group of motorcycle enthusiasts already are in the process of drawing up a lawsuit to have the new law removed.

"There are existing laws on the books at city and state level to enforce but the council went overboard on this," says motorcyclist Larry Cahill. "The absence of the imprint does not mean that the exhaust is loud. (Which is defined as....? bruce) It just means that the manufacturer did not certify that the original motorcycle/muffler combination met the EPA standard. Oh, by the way — the certification is only valid for one year or 3,750 miles."

Boston isn't the only metropolitan area to enact such a law. Other local governments, including Denver and Fairfax County, Va., have enacted ordinances requiring exhaust system labels.

Boston Outlaws Exhausts Without EPA Certification - Dealernews

This came out in the recent issue of Dealer News Magazine. Just thought I'd share it.

Bruce

Boston Outlaws Exhausts Without EPA CertificationPublish date: Jul 1, 2009

The City of Boston earlier this month enacted an ordinance outlawing motorcycle exhaust systems that are not approved for on-road use by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

According to the new law, passed June 3, "No person shall park, use or operate a motorcycle within the city of Boston, manufactured subsequent to Dec. 31, 1982, that does not bear the required applicable Federal EPA exhaust system label pursuant Code of Federal Regulations Title 40, Volume 24, Part 205, Subparts D and Subpart E."

The Boston Police Department has the authority to fine any motorcycle that doesn't display the federally required label. All violations are punishable by a $300 fine.

In a June 1 note to the Boston City Council, Maureen Feeney, chair of the committee of government relations, wrote that the new law "would simply give local authorities a tool to better enforce existing noise standards."

City residents, representatives from the Boston Police Department, the Environment Department and the Transportation Department testified in support of the initiative at a May 26 public hearing. Residents in attendance at the hearing described how loud motorcycle noise disturbs the atmosphere of their neighborhoods, especially in areas like the historic North End, during warm months.

"This ordinance isn't creating a new noise standard, but simply providing a tool to increase local enforcement," Feeney wrote.

A group of motorcycle enthusiasts already are in the process of drawing up a lawsuit to have the new law removed.

"There are existing laws on the books at city and state level to enforce but the council went overboard on this," says motorcyclist Larry Cahill. "The absence of the imprint does not mean that the exhaust is loud. (Which is defined as....? bruce) It just means that the manufacturer did not certify that the original motorcycle/muffler combination met the EPA standard. Oh, by the way — the certification is only valid for one year or 3,750 miles."

Boston isn't the only metropolitan area to enact such a law. Other local governments, including Denver and Fairfax County, Va., have enacted ordinances requiring exhaust system labels.

Boston Outlaws Exhausts Without EPA Certification - Dealernews

I saw this on the news the other day. I would think the Boston Police Dept. had more pressing matters to attend to. Not to mention, when I'm in Boston, I hear more fricking LOUD rap music than motorcycles.

Back