Two bros: How loud is too loud?

cthouse

Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished putting on the two bros exhaust on my 08 fz6. It looks sweet , but man is this thing loud. I've ridden around town and everyone seems to be staring...even had some guy at a stoplight ask me what i did to my R6...I made sure to point out that this was the FZ6...but overall I'm thinking of going back to stock...the two bros is borderline obnoxious, I didn't expect it to be silent, but it is hard to gauge exactly how loud it is until you hear it in person...anyone else have similar situations or think they can talk me out of it? I am interested in reading what you all have to say..

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait at least a week to make your decision. The stock is silent compared to all after market exhausts, it will take some getting used to. After a week or two of riding days make your decision.

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait at least a week to make your decision. The stock is silent compared to all after market exhausts, it will take some getting used to. After a week or two of riding days make your decision.

I definetly agree! After you get used to it, it just sounds cool. I felt the same way when I put my TB's on, I though every cop was gonna pull me over and I thought I was pissing everyone off around me. But the only ones who are mad are the ones who hate bikers anyway, and cops could careless aboutt it, unless your doing something stupid. I dont even wear plugs, I just crank the music in my chatterbox and enjoy the sound of both. YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK TO THE SISSY STOCK EXHAUST! (I'm waving my hand in front of the screen, Jedi mind trick. LOL):rockon:

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
Loud (audible) motorcycles help save lives (IMO). I come from Harley's and dirt bikes...I like it when people "notice"= Less chance of accident due to not being noticed until too late. I told my wife, exhaust is the first thing I'll be changing. She actually commented on the fact that it was too quiet.:eek:

Last edited:

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished putting on the two bros exhaust on my 08 fz6. It looks sweet , but man is this thing loud. I've ridden around town and everyone seems to be staring...even had some guy at a stoplight ask me what i did to my R6...I made sure to point out that this was the FZ6...but overall I'm thinking of going back to stock...the two bros is borderline obnoxious, I didn't expect it to be silent, but it is hard to gauge exactly how loud it is until you hear it in person...anyone else have similar situations or think they can talk me out of it? I am interested in reading what you all have to say..

Order and install sound suppressors aka “db killers: from Two Brothers. I fitted the P4 power tips, quietens the pipes between 3-5 dB with only a minimal loss of horsepower. An easy and cost effective method to quieten down the noise. You’ll be amazed at the difference in sound...

FZ6-ZN

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Loud (audible) motorcycles save lives.:thumbup: I come from Harley's and dirt bikes...I like it when people "notice"= Less chance of accident due to not being noticed until too late. I told my wife, exhaust is the first thing I'll be changing. She actually commented on the fact that it was too quiet.:eek:

I live in the heart of Harley Davidson country and I can tell you from several years of driving experience that you CAN NOT hear loud pipes on a bike until its already right next to your car or past you. This includes having the car windows open or closed. And most people will probably have music and/or a cell phone going, so its even less likely. In fact, my best friend has a Ducati Monster 1000 with twin Termi pipes and when I ride my bike behind him I can barely even hear it, and I don't have a car surrounding me. Loud pipes do not save lives. It is false. The truth is with windows, music, phones, etc you can't hear much of anything outside the car. How many times have you randomly looked in your rear view mirror and saw a fire truck coming up your ass with sirens blazing that you didn't even realize was there. And those are meant to be heard by all.

That said, I love the sound of my Two Bros pipes. I was at a track day a month ago and boy do they sound great when you're hauling ass down a straight. Keep them, you'll get used to it. I barely even turn heads anymore when I'm out riding.

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in the heart of Harley Davidson country and I can tell you from several years of driving experience that you CAN NOT hear loud pipes on a bike until its already right next to your car or past you. This includes having the car windows open or closed. And most people will probably have music and/or a cell phone going, so its even less likely. In fact, my best friend has a Ducati Monster 1000 with twin Termi pipes and when I ride my bike behind him I can barely even hear it, and I don't have a car surrounding me. Loud pipes do not save lives. It is false. The truth is with windows, music, phones, etc you can't hear much of anything outside the car. How many times have you randomly looked in your rear view mirror and saw a fire truck coming up your ass with sirens blazing that you didn't even realize was there. And those are meant to be heard by all.

That said, I love the sound of my Two Bros pipes. I was at a track day a month ago and boy do they sound great when you're hauling ass down a straight. Keep them, you'll get used to it. I barely even turn heads anymore when I'm out riding.

There will always be differing opinions. Anything that makes me more noticeable to vehicles= the better.

Last edited:

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Before anyone asks:

According to the Hurt report is was determined that 77% of motorcycle accident hazards come from in front of the rider, while only 3% approach from the rear. What's interesting here is that motorcycle pipes direct the vast majority of sound backwards where the least danger is, so for loud pipes to be truly effective safety measures they would need to be pointed forward where the greatest danger lies. That doesn't do much to support the proposition that loud pipes are a safely factor.
Loud Pipes Save Lives or The Madness Behind the Myth

In other words, the only time the loud pipes draw attention to a motorcycle in traffic is when the bike is facing away from the motorist. In most cases, facing away from the motorist means riding away from the motorist: increasing the separation of bike and potential hazard. The only possible situation in which a car can to pose an external threat to a motorcyclist when the bike is facing away from the car is if the motorist is backing up or (following) behind the rider. The threat exists, but only marginally: the Hurt Study found that a whopping three percent of accident hazards come directly from the rear (or the "six o'clock" direction).

Conversely, Hurt found that 77% of all accident hazards approach the motorcycle from in front of the rider (specifically, the eleven to one o'clock range). To have any chance of alerting those motorists to the presence of a motorcycle with exhaust noise would require that the tailpipe be pointed forward. The chances of rearward-facing straight pipes making a bike more obvious are very slim. The reality of the loud pipe is that all you'll succeed in doing is irritating all the people behind and beside you who don't pose much of a threat anyway.
Loud Pipes Do Not

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
There will always be differing opinions (they are like *&@holes...everybody has one). Anything that makes me more noticeable to vehicles= the better. Enough said.

Do you have headlight modulator, solid white helmet, high-viz jacket? Or do you just stick with ear splitting noise? There is not a lot of testing but what has been done supports the above items as useful and discounts loud pipes.

Tim

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
There will always be differing opinions (they are like *&@holes...everybody has one). Anything that makes me more noticeable to vehicles= the better. Enough said.

Then do you also wear a reflective neon yellow safety suit and a white helmet? People drive with their eyes more than their ears, because again the ears are busy with cell phones and stereos. That's why police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks all have a ton of bright flashing lights mounted on them. A loud exhaust is, as best, an extremely poor safety feature. Just admit to yourself and your wife that you like the sound of a loud exhaust and leave it at that. My wife begrudges every purchase I make for the bike but even when I got the exhaust I told her its because the stock sounds like an angry mosquito.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't have the db killers I guess you would think that they were overly loud. It seems that they do make a difference.

However, I'm sure you'll get used to it, given time. On the flip side though, people may be a little upset, but oh well.

Out on the main road not many will really care, but when you start out in the morning and it's waking the neighbors, then I'm sure you'll hear people complaining.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I was very worried when I first installed my TBs. I thought everyone in the neighborhood (primarily elderly folks) would have something to say. My next door neighbor doesn't even notice when I leave and she's asleep. It helps that she likes bikes tho. She even said she wouldn't mind if I wanted to rev it in the driveway. I bought the P-1 (I think) db killers from TB. I honestly don't think they quietened the the exhaust at all. So if you're wanting to do that, go for the aforementioned P-4 tips. I do think the P-1's deepened the note. That I like a lot.

I had read a few reviews and comments from folks who were selling their TBs that they were tired of riding in the back. Seems their riding partners would make them ride trail due to the loud exhaust. Everyone I've ridden with has no complaints, and actually truth be known I think they're a little envious :) My buddy who usually rides in front of me had one complaint. On one of our rides I was in front while going under the freeway overpass. Of course I had to drop a gear and give her a nice healthy blip. His comment was "Man, that was loud as balls." ;)

All in all, give it a while before you go back to stock. I really enjoy the note and tone now. It's a lot more enticing to twist the wrist on back. Be ready for that temptation :)

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, fine. Yes, I do wear safety equipment. I just feel every bit helps. I do not wish to argue.

Have a nice day.

Not trying to argue. Just want to make sure you have a realistic view of the safety of riding your bike. As long as you know the noise barely helps, and you're taking more effective action to protect yourself in addition to the pipes, them I'm happy.

I don't want any of us to be in any more danger than we have to be, either on the rode or in our own minds.

:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the same thing about my LEO's at first. i put the DB killers in for couple weeks as a transition and then took them out. Now i love them!!!

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder how the 2Bros compare to the Leos? I have the Leos, and yeah they are loud. But after a few days I got used to it. Now I just love hearing the sound.
I have heard that they are louder from the rear. The last ride I went on the guy riding behind me (phantomxc) said he couldn't hear his own bike over mine.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen more than a few threads EXACTLY like yours right after the 2-bros is installed. as stated earlier just wait...you will soon LOVE the noise. Earplugs are a good idea of course if you dont want to be deaf by the time your 40.
These pipes may have not saved my life literally, but on more than one occasion, they have certainly made other drivers aware of my presence...that makes them worth it 1000x over

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TB's are the loudest, most obnoxious, and probably the best pipes to have on your bike...noise is good, cars move out your way, and nothing can be bad about that!

:rockon:

yes i am biased, i love my TB's!

:D

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I have them, love them. I also disagree with the guy telling you loud pipes don't do anything to help you get noticed. Yeah, they do. Not if you're doing 100mph into a wall perhaps, but if someone is about to make a left and they hear TB's coming they'll probably be more careful. When it was stock I had people walk across the road in front of me because they never heard me coming, that'll never happen again. Sure if a driver is on the phone with windows up stereo on and talking on a cell phone it would be tough to hear, but that would probably be the least of your worries anyway. If you're on the highway in someone's blind spot they'll probably hear you at 80mph. If they're on a bike, walking, in a convertable, have their windows down, don't have a stero blasting, you have a good chance of being noticed with unfiltered TB's. You know what they say, loud pipes save lives. :thumbup: