Two Bros CF Exhaust Install

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So just yesterday I installed a brand new Two Brothers CF slip on that I purchased on eBay. There were no instructions sent in the box, but the installation was pretty straight forward.

That being said I did run into one minor snag. I couldn't for the life of me find a way to make the fender eliminator that was provide with the kit to work. I could clearly see how it was meant to attach to the bike, but it just didn't fit.

I do not have any pictures, but the best way that I can describe it would be that the two half moon cutouts on the center piece of the FE did not line up with the pipes to allow me to bolt it down. It was as if they were not cut in the right area on the FE. When lined up between the two pipes, the top part of the FE was then about half an inch above where it bolts to the frame.

Not being able to use this, I did not utilize the two muffler clamps as I had nowhere to bolt them too. This did not strike me as a real problem as the mufflers were very snug between the top and bottom parts of the frame.

Below is a pic of the finished product. I am very pleased with the sound and look of this exhaust and would recommend it to anyone.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey congrats on the new cans. I am sure some people with 2 bros system will chime in. I had heard the fender elim that comes with the 2 bros kit is not all that great.

One thing for sure the new sound changes the experience of being on the bike. alot of guys install powertips to temper the amount of sound especially if you start your day early am :eek:. I had heard the 2 bros put out quite a loud note which is all well and good since you didn't go through the expense and effort to have a quiet bike.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea man, the new exhaust note is night and day with the stock system. It is much louder, but it is not obnoxious. I hope I don't bother my neighbors when I start her up at 6:15am for my daily commute :p

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Below is a pic of the finished product. I am very pleased with the sound and look of this exhaust and would recommend it to anyone.

Nice exhaust..but there is nothing "finished" in that photo. This site has at least 5 how-to's on 2-bros so heres a few links...Make it right. The key is to bolt it all up but leave everything loose till you get it in position. Those clamps actually take hold the cans, taking weight off the rest of the exhaust system....Wedging them in the frame is a joke.
Also you dont want someone coming along,undoing your mid-pipe and walking away with your cans...I swear that just happened to someone on the site.....

Enjoy your new exhaust...makes the bike an absolute beast

ps...wear earplugs. I didnt for the first year of riding with these things and my ears havent stopped ringing..Im not kidding..:(

A pdf of instructions from 2-Bros is in this post...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/36513-two-bros-stock-fz6-help.html

Boneman's FZ6 Site - Two Brothers M2 Carbon Fiber Exhaust

Last edited:

kyledogg88

Reaction score
Visit site
Im no expert but judging from your picture it looks like your exhaust is turned the wrong way. Maybe thats why you couldnt get the FE kit to work. just a thought.

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same kit on my bike. Use the pdf in the above post. Make sure you finish the install before riding. The clamps are needed so the pipes don't move.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To the OP, great choice of exhaust! The stock bottom bracket cannot be used with the Two Bros without some modification to it.

5344d1215268259-two-brother-exhaust-do-they-fit-dp_fz6_080702_04a.jpg

If you are not prepared to hack it, you have to remove it. I ran into this problem as well.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/6295-two-brother-exhaust-do-they-fit.html

Strap those bros in before your next ride. It would be a shame to have them fall off, and it looks like your license plate already had a close encounter with your rear tire. ;)

I had compiled a series of threads in this location regarding my experiences with the Two Bros.

Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - My Two Brother Slip-On Notes

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. I just checked out the Two Bros instruction manual and I pretty much went about the install in the same fashion it outlines. I removed the lower bracing when I was positioning the pipes and was able to get it back on without any modification, albeit it was a tight fit.

I will have to take a pic of the FE supplied with the exhaust system, but I'm telling you, it did not fit in there at all. The space between the mufflers did not allow the FE to fit and be flush with where it mounts to the frame. Other than removing material from the middle of the FE, I see no way for it to fit correctly.

I was a little concerned about lack of support without using the muffler hangers, but to be honest, with the lower brace back on the bike, and the tight fitment of the entire system, it is not going anywhere. As it is now the exhaust does not have the ability to move at all in any direction, and I really think the lower brace holding up the mufflers is just as, if not more effective than the hangers. Not to mention, IMO, it provides for a cleaner look.

Another odd thing I am now noticing is that it appears my mufflers have a different "cut" on the tips. Most pics I am seeing of this application show the muffler tips angling towards the center, whereas mine angle downward towards the road.

My license plate did have a close encounter with my rear tire on a recent ride. I changed the mounting location of my FE to bring it farther under the bike, but it appears I may have gotten a little too aggressive. I may go back to the factory mounting location to make sure that doesn't happen again.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Another odd thing I am now noticing is that it appears my mufflers have a different "cut" on the tips. Most pics I am seeing of this application show the muffler tips angling towards the center, whereas mine angle downward towards the road...

I was actually watching this very set on eBay. I had asked the seller about the tips as they are definitely not the standard ends found with all other FZ6 units. I did not bid because the responses I received did not Jive with what the parts fiche shows on the TB website. I almost wonder if he "built" the kit himself with cans that where not meant for the FZ. Could be why you had some issue with the install and adjustment.

Nice looking set though!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
My caps are definitely different, and to be honest, I actually like the way they look better. The seller said he did buy the kit around 5 years ago, so maybe it is some older edition or factory second.

Was wondering if maybe they were knock offs, but I couldnt find anything about a phony TB copy online. Not to mention, they were delivered in a TB box, had TB stickers all over it, had a TB CF warranty on the cans, etc. Has anyone heard of a TB knock off brand??

I decided that I am going to maintain the aftermarket FE I am using now, and modify the one that came with the TB kit to use the hanger mount for additional support and security.

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I said this in my exhaust thread too, but I was watching that set on ebay, and didn't bid because they just didn't look like legit Two Bros pipes to me. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that they even made those end caps on their pipes 5 years ago? I know fore sure they didn't in 2005 when I bought a slip-on carbon fiber pipe for my R6 that I had at the time.

Not saying you didn't get a good deal on the pipes.....or that they don't look good. I do however still think they are not true Two Bros Pipes!

With all of that said.....look great on your bike man, and hope you enjoy them!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Another member suggested on my other post what seems to be very realistic answer. They are in fact true TB pipes, but are factory refurbished with new end caps and a non anodized ring.

After searching on the inter webs, and based on the appearance and quality of the exhaust, there is nothing to suggest that they are not legit TB's. Definitely not your standard kit, but I would say with confidence they are TB's. And for what its worth, I actually like my tips better. M1 tips as opposed to M2.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Two Bros CF Exhaust Install *Finished Right*

So I pulled apart the rear end of the bike today and finalized the exhaust install. As per the previous posts, there were serious fitment issues with the FE that could not be overlooked or fixed without modifications.

Decided to modify the FE by cutting off the lower portion of it and utilizing just the upper piece with the hanger mounts. Maintained the lower OEM bracket as well as the aftermarket FE kit I was running before. I also swapped in new rear turn signals (LED with smoked lenses) changed the oil, and cleaned and waxed the chain today :thumbup:

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Two Bros CF Exhaust Install *Finished Right*

They look amazing, wish I had new ones!

My aluminum ones are dirty and hazed, the endcaps are dirty and missing part of the teflon coating, and the endcap bolts are partially stripped. Oh and the glasspack has 20k miles on it.