Top Gear USA is coming to British screens

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
In all fairness I have to say it's getting better. BUT this show is all about the chemistry that the Hosts have with each other. Nothing will come close to the British version in that respect. It just seems forced and fake on the US version. again more in the earlier seasons.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya ill agree nothing will come close to the original, but i still like watching nonetheless. And they do some cool challenges too

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In all fairness I have to say it's getting better. BUT this show is all about the chemistry that the Hosts have with each other. Nothing will come close to the British version in that respect. It just seems forced and fake on the US version. again more in the earlier seasons.

Completely agree. I enjoy the show quite a bit now. It's only *bad* if you constantly compare it to British Top Gear.
As is, it's easily the most entertaining car show US ever put out. You wanna see awful? Watch an episode of Motorweek! :rolleyes:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Completely agree. I enjoy the show quite a bit now. It's only *bad* if you constantly compare it to British Top Gear.
As is, it's easily the most entertaining car show US ever put out. You wanna see awful? Watch an episode of Motorweek! :rolleyes:

Oh ya motoweek blows, very informative, but horrendous. And have yall noticed how the first season was almost exactly the same as the British version music, set up, introductions etc etc, but now this season they have changed it all...wonder why...lawsuit maybe?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Hmm, interesting, I may watch although I don't think it'll live up to Brit version (bit biased :Flash:)
I do think Clarkson, Hammond and May are very good together.
One of my favourites is when they had to ride through Vietnam on motorbikes.
James May and Richard Hammond ride bikes anyway so they didn't have much of a problem but Clarkson had never rode before and he'd been given a scooter and didn't even know how to start it. Was pretty funny and made me want to ride through Vietnam. Looks stunning.

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Top Gear US was a good show, but it is different then Top Gear UK. Like others say you really can't compare them to each other. I think that the US version has more challenges than the UK version, although here lately I have just been watching season 2 and 3. Give it a try, and let us know what you think of it.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
OH no.... do we really need to give Europeans more ammo for the "Americans are stupid" gun??

If you like Euro top gear don't expect this one to compare....

That being said i watched 2 episodes and quit...maybe it got better idk... it would have been nice to see some origional thought put into it rather than put 3 unfunny Americans into a copy + pasted version of the original.

Hopefully you like it but don't take it out on us when you don't :eek::eek:

:rolleyes:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't know... i watched one show where there was a guy doing a build project on a car and his helper (a busty blonde in short shorts and a white t-shirt) would frequently bend over to "help work on the car" ;) I thought that was pretty entertaining :D

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The US version's host are just tolerable together. Even after all the episodes you get the impression they don't even know each other. I'm guessing the production crews last gig was a Japanese game show. And instead of the beautiful cinematography of the BBC we get youtube quality video.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
As much of a Top Gear (British) junkie that I am, I was all excited about the US version when it first came out. I could only watch around 5 minutes of it before I turned the TV off.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Top Gear: UK is definitely the leader of the pack. All shows have good and bad episodes. The UK version has some that are just kind of "eh" as far as my interest in them. The US version has had some good episodes, but the "eh's" outweigh the good ones whereas the UK version is the reverse.

I did love the US episode where they had to pick 3 domestic 4x4 trucks to travel across Alaska. If you broke down, you had to drive a modded Toyota Pickup (before it was called the Tacoma). I think that was one of their best episodes.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Top Gear: UK is definitely the leader of the pack. All shows have good and bad episodes. The UK version has some that are just kind of "eh" as far as my interest in them. The US version has had some good episodes, but the "eh's" outweigh the good ones whereas the UK version is the reverse.

I did love the US episode where they had to pick 3 domestic 4x4 trucks to travel across Alaska. If you broke down, you had to drive a modded Toyota Pickup (before it was called the Tacoma). I think that was one of their best episodes.

Have to agree with you... some of UK's season 15/16 episodes we're getting kind of silly... putting them in my "eh" category.... i gave up on US TG after 2 episodes... the alaska trip sounds intriguing though, may have to give it another chance

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Have to agree with you... some of UK's season 15/16 episodes we're getting kind of silly... putting them in my "eh" category.... i gave up on US TG after 2 episodes... the alaska trip sounds intriguing though, may have to give it another chance

I'm pretty sure the Alaska one was one of the first episodes in the first season.

There were a couple more that were ok, like the one where they filled the cars with water (the UK bunch did the same thing), as well as another episode where they had to use their cars to carry manure (supposed to be used like tractors).

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
OH no.... do we really need to give Europeans more ammo for the "Americans are stupid" gun??

No, we already have enough :thumbup:

:justkidding:

I'd be interested to see the US version, find out how it compares. Good to see some different cars getting abused as well. Is there a Stig on the US show, or does that kind of humour not translate well to American TV?