Top box recommendations

garfield2k

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all,
im looking at getting a topbox and mounting rack for the fz6n and want to see what people are using?

im looking at getting the givi 351fz mounting kit and m5 monokey plate, but am unsure which topbox to get now. im juggling between the givi v46
Monokey ®
and the kappa k53
KAPPAMOTO - ONLINE CATALOGUE

anyone used either of these? thoughts? the givi doesnt have a handle to easily move it about so is the only drawback there. i like how they both have clear reflectors tho :D they are both round the same price (150euro)
would these be too big for daily commuting?
anyone able to recommend any other cases suitable to use on the givi rack?

anyway, heres a shot of my bike
CIMG5778.jpg

bought it with all the mods on it already so not much else i want to change really ;)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all,
im looking at getting a topbox and mounting rack for the fz6n and want to see what people are using?

im looking at getting the givi 351fz mounting kit and m5 monokey plate, but am unsure which topbox to get now. im juggling between the givi v46
Monokey ®
and the kappa k53
KAPPAMOTO - ONLINE CATALOGUE

anyone used either of these? thoughts? the givi doesnt have a handle to easily move it about so is the only drawback there. i like how they both have clear reflectors tho :D they are both round the same price (150euro)
would these be too big for daily commuting?
anyone able to recommend any other cases suitable to use on the givi rack?
The Givi does have a handle of sorts mate. You can carry it round by putting your hand inside the hole just above the lock and they have made a ledge thing you can grip onto. It's comfy and stronger than a flip-out handle.

There isn't a lot between them. Givi will have better resale, they both have optional lighting add-ons and the Kappa is quite a bit bigger. Swings and roundabouts really. Up to you.

Kappa and Givi are pretty damn similar anyway. I ordered Givi stuff, and the rack they sent me had Kappa logos on but looked exactly the same as the Givi! I ended up spraying the silver bits black anyway! :D

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Givi E45 which has a huge handle for carrying which is useful as I have to take the box off to get the cover on the bike. The box can never be too big . . . !

I see you have some Leo Vince end cans and an FE, I've got some Scorpion end cans and and could not get the mounting rack to fit around them, and didn't want to have to get the creative with the hacksaw, unlike Sangera2 did sangera2.com - FZ6 Mods

I'm pretty sure the Leo cans are narrower, and closer together but it's worth bearing in mind . . .

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i have a givi e52 maxi. it's pretty large but doesn't look too big IMO. and i wouldn't want to go smaller. i work on a college campus and carry my macbook pro in a bookbag. that, with all my books and such, fit in the givi. then when i get to work i can fit my helmet (gloves in the helmet) and joe rocket alter ego jacket (or fieldsheer aqua tour jacket in the winter time) in without issue. i could see going smaller... but for me the e52 is perfect. hth.

oh, and if you're interested in seeing how it looks on the bike.... these pics aren't great for showing what it looks like but you can get an idea. just ignore the fat guy on the bike ;)

here's the best pic i have of it from the side.
Picture11.png

and here's a back view.
attachment.php

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the M11 top plate which I prefer to the M5 as it looks like a sports rack when the top box isn't fitted.

I use the Kapa K961 topbox which is for me a nice size, and will hold my flip front full face helmet.

garfield2k

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for all the replies..very helpful!

sanger_a2 - i did see that "handle" but not sure how good it may be trying to balance it with say that in one hand, helmet in the other and trying to get in the front door....could always just put it down...read ur thread with ur guide to installing the rack - very good!

ozfazer6 - yes, i did see that thread, could be an alternative but seeing as ill be heading to europe in feb ill be getting a few things over there :D

senior - i may consider the e45, a little cheaper than the ones i linked.. as for the leovince cans, apparently the rack works fine with them - according to a thread on here somewhere, that was my main concern initially.

dean owens - thanks for the info, box doesnt look too big at all, width wise it seems fine. thanks for the pics, gives me a good idea of size definitely.

alanrim - yes i was also considering the m11 alu plate, but the box will prolly stay on 90% of the time so not too worried bout that.

thanks for all the replies, will prolly get the kappa k53, unless i change my mind that is! anyway, happy holidays and safe riding!;)

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Givi e37 (even though its actually 39 liters...). Its oriented more for scooters and uses the different base plate. Everything else mounts up the same. I chose it because i wanted something smaller than most of the other cases (when on the bike, i have to move out of the way to see it in the mirrors). It will still hold my full-size Shoei with a few more bits easily though.
DSC06383.jpg

jeepinoutwest

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had an E45, E52, and now an E55. See pic:

DSC01794.jpg

DSC01792.jpg

The E45 is by far the best design. The E45 is simple and inexpensive (I had the economy model). The lock works great.
The E52, well i kept breaking off little trim pieces and the locking mechanism was bad.
The E55, well while the biggest of the bunch, it has the worst locking mechanism. You must squish the box closed with one hand on top and one on bottom. Then it only has a quiet click to tell you its shut, and frankly you wonder if it is really shut or not. Seems prone to breaking as well. While more stylish than the others thats all it has to offer and is more than twice the price of the E45 which still holds two full face helmets.

Last edited:

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
I know you're asking about top boxes, but thought I'd throw this in anyway.

Have you considered going with saddlebags instead? I've always thought that the top-boxes cover entirely too much of the brake light on the FZ6.

I went with this setup on my bike:

Givi Tubular Sidecase Racks: Givi Tubular Sidecase Racks - Givi PLX360
Givi V35 Saddlebags: Givi V35 PLX Sidecases/Saddlebags (pair) - 35 liters/case

And to keep from having the top box and/or top-box base covering the brake light, I got this little deal:
Givi 351KIT fitting kit for sideracks (Yamaha FZ6 '04-'06 & 07-) - Givi 351KIT

This setup leaves me 70 liters of space. Enough to pack for a solo 6 day trip, or for a 3 day weekend with my wife. If you're better at packing than I am, you might be able to squeeze another day worth of stuff into them :)

I've been pretty happy with the bags, they've kept my gear reasonably dry, and they're quick to pop on and off the bike. It's also easy to access the cases with gloves on.

My helmet does _not_ fit in the bags though. In their defense, I have a very fat head and wear a XXL helmet.

Ride safe,
~Scott

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had an E45, E52, and now an E55. See pic:

DSC01794.jpg

DSC01792.jpg

The E45 is by far the best design. The E45 is simple and inexpensive (I had the economy model). The lock works great.
The E52, well i kept breaking off little trim pieces and the locking mechanism was bad.
The E55, well while the biggest of the bunch, it has the worst locking mechanism. You must squish the box closed with one hand on top and one on bottom. Then it only has a quiet click to tell you its shut, and frankly you wonder if it is really shut or not. Seems prone to breaking as well. While more stylish than the others thats all it has to offer and is more than twice the price of the E45 which still holds two full face helmets.
What is that awesome screen? Does it flick all of the wind over your head?

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks goker...

how do u find the "handle" on the box? easy to carry with u?

like those v35 side cases...next purchase...;)

Top case is OK for carrying around, it has deep handle but because you cannot put your hand through it, it is awkward for me. Side cases have much better handle IMO. I also have liners for my side cases so I generally leave them on and just take the liner bag with me.

Here is the link to the install if you are interested:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/17874-givi-v35-v46-case-install-all-trimmings-using-givi-racks-yamaha-fz6-2008-a.html

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

jeepinoutwest

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, mine is the Cee Baileys. Great quality and craftsmanship. I had several screens and this is the nicest. They make several heights, mine is the highest. I like it alot. 9" over stock