Is $500+ needed for an easy to install top case system?

lazyOCD

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried to do it the easy way, went to the local bike shop, and they showed me $700 Yamaha cases that didn't include mounting hardware.

Checked out the forums as best I could and saw:
- Givi Cases are popular
- Shad Cases are cheaper but a PITA to install
- Get the Motech in case you switch stuff out later.
- Some people view designing and fabricating their own accessories as a viable option to save money

All I'm looking for is (I guess this is a lot):
-- Something that fits my 2009 FZ6
-- Can hold two helmets
-- I can keep outside
-- Locks quickly and easily
-- will be somewhat aerodynamic (so I can hit top speeds or get good MPG)
-- can be removed from the rack and the rack won't look horrible
-- won't make me much more likely to get killed on the motorcycle
-- Can be installed correctly relatively easily by someone with average mechanical ability

The quote I got from TwistedThrottle was:
-- GPT.06.313.100.B -- SW-MOTECH Alu Rack TopRack - $144.99
-- GPT.00.152.405 -- SW-MOTECH Alu Rack Topcase Adapter Place $ 35.00
-- TT-00001 Quick-disconnect flushmount brakelight wiring kit $28.99
-- Givi V46 -- Givi V46 Monokey Topcase 46 liters / case $283.50

$28.64 shipping. $521.12 total.

Am I getting the wrong or unnecessary stuff here? Maybe the wrong place? Maybe this is just what a top case system costs?

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted the Yamaha one too,but it is way overpriced .
I had a Ventura rack on the bike already so I cut the uprights off and bought a Givi box with a universal mounting plate .
Does the job till I can afford something better and you can mount any size or brand of case you want .
picture.php

Cut the uprights
picture.php

So it looks like this
picture.php

Mount the plate like this
picture.php

Without box,I neated up the cuts and put rubber bungs in the holes.
picture.php

With box fitted.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldn't describe the Givi rack as easy to install. I'd describe it as a complete pain in the arse. Mine's still sitting in pieces in my garage, with one of the mounting nuts lost inside my frame :S

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
All I'm looking for is (I guess this is a lot):
-- Can hold two helmets
-- I can keep outside
-- Can be installed correctly relatively easily by someone with average mechanical ability

Am I getting the wrong or unnecessary stuff here? Maybe the wrong place? Maybe this is just what a top case system costs?

Yes this a lot to ask! If you want to meet all or most of these things then it will cost money. I for one wouldn't bother with the brake light. Most top cases have big reflectors. Each to their own of course, and it is an added safety. Judgment call at the end of the day.

A case big enough for 2 helmets and fuel economy/top speeds aren't really compatible either. You'll have to find a compromise. Most top cases have a max speed rating ( although I regularly exceed mine :spank: )

I have a Yamaha case which came with the bike when I bought it second hand. The rack is easy to fit (it attaches to the grab handles with torx bolts), and looks fine when off the bike. At 42 litres it won't fit 2 helmets but is fine for what I need.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Greg
The Givi is a tremendous pain in the aXX the install, I had to heat up the $170 rack and bend it to fit, then had figure out how to get it around my aftermarket exhaust.

The top box was only $200 and it'll take 2 fullface helmets.

The BRIGHT side, It holds A LOT. It hasn't given me trouble yet and Ive been overloading it for 3+ years. I often have to bring foodstuff to work and I have cracked 2 eggs over the years. Was a totally worth it mod for me, but easy it hasnt been...

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I was patient and got the Yamaha 44L box and oem rack here for 300 used. It's a breeze to install and works great. The weight limit may differ from the more complex racks, but I don't care. Good luck.

Joe

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted the Yamaha one too,but it is way overpriced .
I had a Ventura rack on the bike already so I cut the uprights off and bought a Givi box with a universal mounting plate .
Does the job till I can afford something better and you can mount any size or brand of case you want .
picture.php

Cut the uprights
picture.php

So it looks like this
picture.php

Mount the plate like this
picture.php

Without box,I neated up the cuts and put rubber bungs in the holes.
picture.php

With box fitted.

What a filthy looking bike Mick! I know you've had major droughts in Oz but give her a wipe at least! *hurries off to clean equally filthy bike* :D

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
- Shad Cases are cheaper but a PITA to install

Well, though I did post that I had some trouble with installation, and certainly read of others' difficulties, I will still recommend the Shad system. I think that if you cut off two of the tack-welded nuts from the upper/rear mounting brackets and use a separate nut, it would probably be much easier to mount. Once mounted it is a nice system.

Here's the rack, fits all years.

-- Can hold two helmets
This top case should.

-- I can keep outside

I don't see why you could not.

My 29 liter shad case locks very easily and quickly.

Don't know about this. I took a trip earlier this year with a 45 liter sears top case mounted (on the shad rack) in place of my 29 liter shad, and averaged 54 MPG over 1000 miles in three days.

I think it looks pretty good. There's a picture somewhere on this site of just the rack, I'll try to find it if I have time.

Not sure what you mean by this.

See mounting advice above, feel free to ask for more if you get it.

If you follow the links above, the rack and case total $291.70 including shipping.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Givi top rack and V46 case. It cost me just over $300... I saved some money by getting a used case on this forum.

Install wasn't simple, but I really wouldn't call it horrible either. I've now installed it twice. Once with stock exhaust and once with Leo Vince.

I did not need to bend the rack.. did not need to heat anything up :don'tknow:

Looks are subjective and any rack will look worse than no rack at all, but I do think Givi is the best looking option.

32028d1288826974-lev-vince-oval-carbon-givi-top-rack-fz6_leo.jpg

lazyOCD

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, thanks for the great posts!

Greg: Was it a Givi rack you had issues with or a SW Motech rack? Also, a rack in pieces isn't optimal, but having a garage sounds pretty cool.

Davey: What kind of Rack do you have? It looks great in the picture!
Now that I think about it, maybe fitting two helmets is just a "nice to have", I could always chain up one helmet like I do now. Also, I think OFazer's bike is dirty because of the "bungs in the holes" he put in :=) Seriously, though, the setup looks great -- and in case I sleepwalk and buy and install a Ventura rack, I'll know what to do.

SirIsaac: I guess I prefer the look of the GIVI vs the Shad products you linked to. Which is silly, because if one saw my car or how I dress, it's obvious I have no business making an aesthetic judgement on anything.
"won't make me much more likely to get killed on the motorcycle" -- I was thinking of brake light visibility with this.
54 MPG -- That sounds pretty good!

Erci: That's a nice, clean bike! I'm not sure about of the big "Givi" silver circle on the side of the rack, but the rest of it looks great.

Additional option for laziness I had not considered: The (further away) dealership I bought the bike from has a 15% special on installation.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Greg: Was it a Givi rack you had issues with or a SW Motech rack? Also, a rack in pieces isn't optimal, but having a garage sounds pretty cool.

It's a givi rack I got half price on ebay. I paid about £60 ($100?) for the rack and bought a new 42l monokey box + plate for £90 ($150?)

The givi rack is nicely finished and very solid. The problem is it's very solid and the brackets aren't really flexible. The holes in the brackets that fit around my exhaust cover don't seem to quite line up, making it very difficult to bolt it into place.

I ended up losing one of the bolts down the frame trying to get it on, and hence it's still in pieces in my garage. And yes a garage is very nice to have, even if it's not heated :)

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site

Davey: What kind of Rack do you have? It looks great in the picture!
Now that I think about it, maybe fitting two helmets is just a "nice to have", I could always chain up one helmet like I do now. Also, I think OFazer's bike is dirty because of the "bungs in the holes" he put in :=) Seriously, though, the setup looks great -- and in case I sleepwalk and buy and install a Ventura rack, I'll know what to do.

I presume it's a Yamaha rack. The top case is a Yamaha one. The guy I bought the bike form had it fitted by the dealer when he bought it brand new. I really like it, and have just put it back on as the bike is my main mode of transport at the moment. Install is so easy a 5 year old could do it. I put some soft foam around the grab handles to stop it scratching them.

I've no idea how much it'd be though. Yammy brand stuff is usually over priced sadly. Keep an eye out for second hand stuff on ebay/craigslist etc.

Whatever you choose have a go at installing it yourself first! It's satisfying to look at a good job done (even if it's a pain in the @$$!). The money saved from paying someone else to do it could go towards another mod :D

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site

SirIsaac: I guess I prefer the look of the GIVI vs the Shad products you linked to. Which is silly, because if one saw my car or how I dress, it's obvious I have no business making an aesthetic judgement on anything.

No problem, by all means pick what you like. I found a picture of just the rack in case you are still possibly interested:

IMG_09701024x768.jpg

"won't make me much more likely to get killed on the motorcycle" -- I was thinking of brake light visibility with this.

Ah, that makes sense. Yes, be sure it does not block your brake light, and adding an accessory brake light could not hurt.

54 MPG -- That sounds pretty good!

I was pleased with it. I probably don't ride as hard as some, of course. Your mileage may vary.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found a picture of just the rack in case you are still possibly interested

I must say.. that looks excellent! And I love that it doesn't clamp around the exhaust. I bet swapping exhaust is a whole lot easier with this setup!

Oh and tail light blocking is not an issue at all with any rack. The only situation where the light might be obstructed: very tall vehicle (bus or truck) directly on your tail.. just few feet away.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up my Shad 45 Topcase and rack here on this board for around $300 shipped. It was a bit of a pain in the arse to install. But nothing I'd call out of the question. I like the Shad rack it's very slim and compared to the Givi rack looks small. But it works great and is solid. Post up a ad in the WTB section and wait. Thats what I did and it's worked out well for not only the Topcase set up but for a lot of other things I've purchased here as well.

Oh I've done 130 mph with the Topbox (GPS) with no trouble and just today I got 52 mpg over a 115 mile run. I usually average around 48-46. Can you see the rack? That is what's nice about the Shad.

Here is a pic of my setup.

1094158401_dt3WT-L.jpg

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Givi top rack and V46 case. It cost me just over $300... I saved some money by getting a used case on this forum.

Install wasn't simple, but I really wouldn't call it horrible either. I've now installed it twice. Once with stock exhaust and once with Leo Vince.

I did not need to bend the rack.. did not need to heat anything up :don'tknow:

Looks are subjective and any rack will look worse than no rack at all, but I do think Givi is the best looking option.

32028d1288826974-lev-vince-oval-carbon-givi-top-rack-fz6_leo.jpg

Nice ride dude. Looks sharp.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I liked the Givi rack on mine, once the main fixing points are on the bike the rack can be easily removed/refitted in a couple of minutes leaving a couple of discrete straps around the exhaust.

I also went for the M11 plate which is a metal rack instead of the standard plastic plate. Takes the same top boxes but when no box on looks like a sports rack, so can be used to strap something too instead of taking topbox

lazyOCD

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any horror stories with the Coocase top cases? I didn't find any when searching the forum. I plan to order in an hour so it can get in the mail before Thanksgiving.

I'm probably going to try the Coocase s48: TwistedThrottle.com : Coocase S48 Astra topcase, Luxury edition with inner liner, alarm, integrated LED brake and running lights, and remote control - CC.S48.LLW

It seems to have a bunch of things included in it, like a cushioned inside molding,wiring kits. Also, there were some reassuring videos and pictures.

With the adapter plate and SW-Motech rack, and shipping, it works out to about $480.

lazyOCD

Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered the Coocase, adapter plate, and SW-motech rack from TwistedThrottle. If all goes to plan, I'll be posting a pic of the successful installation the Sunday after next.