Is $500+ needed for an easy to install top case system?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered the Coocase, adapter plate, and SW-motech rack from TwistedThrottle. If all goes to plan, I'll be posting a pic of the successful installation the Sunday after next.

Nice! Good luck!

lazyOCD

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm finally posting pics of the install - almost 2 years after I was supposed to.

PS. Thanks to all on this thread for the advice given.

My lessons learned:
-- maybe I shouldn't have worried about money so much -- could've saved a lot of time by having pros do it
-- Maybe I'd have been happier with a Givi top-case: the coocase doesn't feel as solid, and it doesn't look as good.
-- The advantage of "Get the Motech in case you switch stuff out later." turned out to not apply to me, because there's no way I was going to spend the time to switch stuff out.
-- Twisted Throttle's tech support was great -- and necessary.
-- Yeah, maybe $500 (or more) *is* necessary for an easy to install top case system, but it might be worth it to spend extra to save time.

My oddessy of an install:
-- When the top case package arrived, my parents were visiting that weekend, so I had to hide the bike (to preserve the then-secret of my motorcycle, resulting from fear of being nagged).
-- It then got real cold, and without a garage, installing it was a pain.
-- After a couple of weekends, and some time over the phone with Twisted Throttle, trying to understand the SW-Motech directions (written in German), the rack finally got installed.
-- Except that I was too chicken to put thread locker on some of the bolts (cause I wasn't sure they were right)
-- And I hadn't hooked up the electric connection

-- The top case was unused and mostly unworked on for 16-17 months, until I finally accepted that I wasn't going to finish the install.
-- I paid $100 - $200 extra to the local shop that did my Spring 2012 tune-up, so that they would finish the electric install. It bothers me slightly that some of the pieces of the electric install were not being used - but the case and the brake lights work. And most importantly, I have the option to use the topcase now and I don't have an unfinished project starting me in the face.
-- I never did figure out which bolts are lacking the thread locker, but I figure that if/when the case starts jiggling, I'll know where to look.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed the Givi V340 (34 liter) top case with Givi 351FZ rack and Givi M5M plate. Install time was around 1 hr. Total cost was $280 from Ironpony.com. Easy to install and excellent fit and finish. Will fit 1 helmet. It's so nice to leave rain gear on the bike now and always have it with me.

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I just mounted the GIVI bracket and plate on mine last Sunday,.
The bracket was $120 and the plate was $45.
I plan on shopping for a trunk in the spring, but I will keep and eye out on Kijiji (Canadian equivalant to Craigs list) or E-bay..
It isnt going to be anywhere near $500..

I agree with MG, the fit is awesome, it looks like it belongs there..
Though the install was a bit of a PITA, I too did it in about an hour.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I just mounted the GIVI bracket and plate on mine last Sunday,.
The bracket was $120 and the plate was $45.
I plan on shopping for a trunk in the spring, but I will keep and eye out on Kijiji (Canadian equivalant to Craigs list) or E-bay..
It isnt going to be anywhere near $500..

I agree with MG, the fit is awesome, it looks like it belongs there..
Though the install was a bit of a PITA, I too did it in about an hour.

Did the same, bought the rack from my local shop for ~$170 and the case (Givi E52) off Craigslist for $160.

I would email anyone selling a bike with a Givi case and see if they'll sell it separately

lazyOCD

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny story: Like Groundhog day, I actually *did* get a chance (AKA have to) do it over again.
In early December, a van hit me and totaled the bike. No one was hurt, his insurance accepted fault and paid me, *and*, I was able to buy the same model year and color (2009 FZ6 black), on Craigslist.
So, I ended up close to where I was at the start of this thread. Except this time, I had a Coocase S48 (it was at home during the crash). I considered keeping the Coocase and remounting it with the SW-Motech rack and adapter plate. But, I was bitter because the price had gone up $50 on the SW-Motech, and by some other amount for the adapter plate. Also, I could have kept the adapter plate, but I was too disgusted with the crash and with the all the wingnut fasteners to take it off the old bike before it got taken to the scrapyard -- and then later, I found out how much the adapter plate now costs.

Anyway, the second time around, I went the "pay more / less hassle" route: GIVI top rack (monokey) - $150 , GIVI E52 Maxia Topcase - $296, AdMore lighting LED Kit $129. Then, I paid a shop (one that I found this past fall and I actually like) to install it for me -- $230. So, that's around $800 total. More expensive, but the hassle was minimized, and I like the topcase/rack/lighting better than the previous setup.

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a Besteem box (from amazon) on a givi rack. I can't get over Givi charging so much for a plastic box. The Besteem box works like a charm and I have not had a single problem with it. I had to drill new holes in the Givi mounting plate in order to get my box on it.

stevek

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an FJR which came with the Yamaha topbox fitted. As usual it fell off after 6 months and someone else took it. I bought a new Bestem 46l box and mounting plate from Bestem America for $89 delivered to Australia. Just needed a piece of 6mm aluminium plate and all bolted to the original yamaha mounting points. Not as flash as a Givi but it work for me.:cheer: