Took my first spill...

ph0xx

Reaction score
Visit site
I hoped I would never have a story to post in the hall of shame, but I got one...that happened on my first day of vacation for the holidays, Merry F-ing Christmas!

I laid down the bike as I was riding up a long uphill on-ramp to the highway. I'm not even entirely sure what happened but the front end basically got squirrely on me and after some tank slapping, the bike and I went sliding on the asphalt. I got up and looked back to see if anyone was coming, then checked the damage on myself and the bike. I wasn't too bad at all, considering, but the bike took a fair amount of damage on the left side. I couldn't ride it home because the rear rim was not only dented, but torn like an aluminum can. Also, the foot peg was completely broken off and my handlebars were bent. The frame slider did a decent job. Without that, I think it would have been much worse.

Most importantly, I wasn't hurt very badly. I was wearing all of my gear thankfully, which undoubtedly helped quite a bit. I just got a bit of road rash in the lower belly area, where I guess my jacket slid up a little as I was skidding across the road. I also got some minor scrapes on my knee and leg, and on my hands where it managed to make it through my gloves. It could have been a lot worse and I'm thankful that it wasn't, and that I had all my protective gear on. Luckily nobody was behind me when it happened or I could have easily been run-over.

I'm gonna get back on the horse again once I replace the parts that were broken and I'm definitely going to be a lot more careful.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you may have hit a slick spot, like oil or other kind of fluids considering that it was an on ramp. Anykind of a backup, especially during rush hour will create an accumulation of fluids on the roadway.

Glad your okay.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow i wonder what your back rim hit, i've never seen anything like that before... nuts.
Glad your okay, my 1st roadbike wreck a few days ago wasn't anything exciting.

Now you've got yourself something to do on rainy days, or snow, depending on the weather :D

Again glad your okay!!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok, definitely made me taking my riding pants to the tailor to put on a zipper that fits my Dainese jacket a priority.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, what happened to your rear rim? That is nuts man! Especially considering that the damage is mostly on the other side of the bike, right?

Glad to hear that you're OK, most importantly.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay! :eek:

When you said all of a sudden it seemed like you were tank slapping and I saw the rear wheel, I thought of what happened to my neighbor one day when we were out riding. His rear axle came loose and as the bike started locking the rear wheel he hit the rear brake and the assembly blew out ripping the caliper off and exploding the cast swingarm.

If the rear wheel didn't impact anything you know of, I'll bet that caliper or something got loose and locked your rear end up! Your caliper is gone and your rear wheel went to critical mass! :confused:

Your bike went down on the left side but look at the right side of your rear wheel!

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
dizzam....
glad you're ok!

:thumbup:
When you said all of a sudden it seemed like you were tank slapping and I saw the rear wheel, I thought of what happened to my neighbor one day when we were out riding. His rear axle came loose and as the bike started locking the rear wheel he hit the rear brake and the assembly blew out ripping the caliper off and exploding the cast swingarm.

wow!! did he not torque the rear axle down?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
wow!! did he not torque the rear axle down?
The bike was serviced at a dealer under warranty for an oil leak and they didn't tighten the axle. They fixid it all for free and gave the owner a lot of expensive freebees! :D

ph0xx

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, what happened to your rear rim? That is nuts man! Especially considering that the damage is mostly on the other side of the bike, right?

Glad to hear that you're OK, most importantly.

There was a concrete barrier along the side of the on-ramp, which I'm guessing is what it hit at some point. It happened at night so I couldn't really see much or see a specific spot where it hit the wall. Also, I was standing on the on-ramp to a highway, at night...so I didn't want to stick around in that spot too long. I still don't know how it tore like that.

ph0xx

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay! :eek:

If the rear wheel didn't impact anything you know of, I'll bet that caliper or something got loose and locked your rear end up! Your caliper is gone and your rear wheel went to critical mass! :confused:

Your bike went down on the left side but look at the right side of your rear wheel!

The caliper isn't gone. My friend and I took it off when we were going to load the bike in the bed of my truck because the bent part of the rim kept making contact with it and was making it really hard to roll the bike.

ph0xx

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the kind words. I really appreciate it.

The base of my kickstand also got bent upward. You can see it in this pic. It is still useable except now it only makes contact at a small point compared to the wider footprint it had.

Do you guys think it can be bent back into its original shape somehow and still be okay or does it just need to be replaced?

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Seems kind of strange how much rust you have on the disk the only place that is clean is where the brake pads were. Did the backend lock up when you hit the brakes?

ph0xx

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems kind of strange how much rust you have on the disk the only place that is clean is where the brake pads were. Did the backend lock up when you hit the brakes?

No, it didn't lock up. But it did sit out in the rain all night and part of the next day until I could pick it up, so that may be when it got oxidized. During normal use, that layer of rust would probably come off after using the rear brake a few times, wouldn't it? Normally the bike is always garaged so haven't really ever noticed any rust in the past.