To wave or not to wave, that is the unorigionally named poll...

Who do you wave at?

• Total voters

njc89

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just happy to be on my bike and will wave at just about anyone - especially females. Life's to short to give a rip what someone else is riding

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I have not read through 9 pages of responses. But for me I take a little bit of an elitist stance on waving. If you are not wearing full gear I don't wave at you. And around here that eliminates quite a few riders. I honestly don't wave at harley guys either since the feeling seems mutual.

neumanntm

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm I expected the cute girl in the tank top get more waves LOL

I wave at all 2- or 3-wheel riders, granted i'm not working the clutch, in which case it's a nod. Many wave/nod back - Bimmer riders, even the most hardcore-looking harley riders. Not without exceptions, of course:

• squids on gixxers and one particular R6 squid from my train station
  • scooter riders - some wave some don't, but mostly, judging by the intense look in the bugged out eyes, they are holding on to handlebars for their lives
  • bimmer riders with bmw logo density greater than one BMW logo per 5 square inches of surface - BMW helmet, BMW suit, BMW bags, BMW navi
  • Harley dudes on bikes that look like they just got out of dealerships

Hard to tell with GoldWingers - unless they climb off the saddle onto left footpeg, then hang out further to the left with a leg and an arm (I'm assuming they get the passenger to counter-weight all that acrobatics by hanging on the right a-la sidecar riders or yacht racers.) and/or pop a smoke signal, you can't see them from behind all that fairing.

I know this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by a "squid"?

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by a "squid"?

sportbike with rim tape, aftermarket exhaust, fender eliminator, ridden by dude with doo-rag, oakleys, wifebeater, shorts, flip-flops, helmet dangling from rear of bike.

the origin of the term varies depending on whom you talk to, but an abbreviation of 'squirrely kid' may be part of it.

Urban dictionary has more.

Urban Dictionary: squid

Abschatten

Reaction score
Visit site
you don't wave at those with Rim tape or a after market exhaust? I find that a but stupid honestly. How do you know right away when heading towards said person? Do you not just wave?

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
you don't wave at those with Rim tape or a after market exhaust? I find that a but stupid honestly. How do you know right away when heading towards said person? Do you not just wave?

I was just helping to define the term 'squid'. I wave at anything with two wheels.

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at anybody who looks like they enjoy riding with no shell as much as me. harleys, choppers and scooters who don't wave back don't bother me, maybe if I wave enough times their heart will grow a little and they will start waving back. or maybe I'll help to dispell the myths that all sport bike riders are d-bags. and I've found that atleast in this area most everyone waves back with very few exceptions. either way I'm generally having to much fun not to wave at passersby.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave or nod at most anything. I don't get offended if I don't get one back because sometimes I don't return the favor if I'm in the middle of a maneuver.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's not a cage i'll wave unless my hand is on the clutch then its a nod.

That's pretty much me as well. One exception is total badass chopper dudes wearing sunglasses and tattoos for gear. I wait for them to initiate the wave because they're not better than me, and I don't want to be in this situation:

Tech_Gesture.jpg

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Like others have said, ill wave at anything with less than 4 wheels if my clutch is not needed. WIth the exception of scooters and mopeds, most of them just seem to be lost in a daze on the road lol.

I ride ATGATT and some of those HD riders just glare when I give em the what up......when I was on my '72 CBR360T everyone waved....haters! :Flip:

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
In NC, I don't wave at thrashed scooters. It's well known that a totally beat looking scooter is most likely piloted my 3 time DWI offender that can't get a licence any more. So I only wave at 'licenced' 2 and 3 wheelers. That's 50cc and up.

NCDMV states:
In order to ride, you must be at least 16 years old. Owning a driver's license isn't required, but wearing a helmet is, regardless of age.

To qualify as a moped and/or as a scooter, your bike cannot exceed 30 miles per hour on a level service and it cannot possess an engine larger than 50 cubic centimeters. If your moped/scooter exceeds these standards, you must register it as a motorcycle. Otherwise you do not have to register it, have it inspected, nor have it insured.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone on 2 Wheels (so trikes are discarded immediately) EXCEPT:

scooters:eyebrow:
mopeds:eyebrow:
groups of harley riders that think they're too cool for people with real bikes:Flip:
people that ride like idiots:Flip: (these people are easy to spot, usually on a GSXR, or ZX14)
my friends going the other way

and most importantly I do wave at bicycles, you know guys that are less lazy than me:spank: actually riding their roadbikes and being active:thumbup:

and i honk at cute girls (cage, bike, bicycle, walking, scooter, kick-scooter, swimming, etc.)

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
When I ride my Honda Metropolitan scooter I still wave at everyone, just a little slower. It is great around the neighborhood and stuff, most folks I wave at wave back except for the two cool dudes on their hogs - they were really to scared to let go of the bar. :)

When I'm on my FZ6 I wave at everyone also. Heck the other day I waved at Barney. Remember it is us against the cagers.

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave to everyone but scooters/mopeds and Harleys. Harley riders never wave back, so gave up on them. I guess your to cool to wave if you ride one (a Harley), lol.

Sco

Reaction score
Visit site
Cmon stop bashing the scoots, at least the maxi scoots we wave to everyone.
that TMax in the picture is just the beginning of the line being blurred.