What Kind Of Bike Is The FZ6?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind is it? What do you consider it or call it when people ask "so, what kind of bike do you ride?"

Being new to motorcycles I have always thought it a sportbike, but seems some riders are very specific about bikes. I like being specific about a few things, too. And when people ask me "so, what kind of bike is that" I want to be able to do more than scratch my butt and say "well, i dunno, really?"

Came to mind because someone on another forum made a thread. He said he had been riding many a year, but now wanted a "real sportbike." While I knew he did not want an FZ6, I mentioned several others to which a few members posted "well, those aren't sportbikes at all." One rider called my selections "old fashioned." Which I still don't understand?

So I wondered 'well, if THOSE aren't sportbikes the FZ6 must be some sort of super scooter!' Or something? So I made a multiple choice post asking just what the hell kind of bike an FZ6 is. Here is that post:

ADVrider - View Single Post - 54 and looking for my first real sportbike.

So what do you guys say? At least one poster says its a "standard" but if it makes me "feel better" call it a sport standard lol. But isn't a "typical standard" like a Triumph Bonneville, or something? I don't think of an FZ6 like that.

Just what the hell kind of bike do YOU consider it? And what is it in all reality in the "bike world?"

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles, does it all. Technically, it's a sport touring bike, definitely not a sportbike.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
damn, my bike is boring, i guess

i need to ride something that will excite me. what are some exciting bikes to ride?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles, does it all. Technically, it's a sport touring bike, definitely not a sportbike.

Sport touring is what I tell people who ask.

It's definitely not a sport bike (even though the redline is close). There are some key points missing that keep it from being a sport bike including the stock suspension, lack of full fairing and upright (low pegs, high bars) riding position.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm....well maybe i will go with "sport touring?" people do ask, and have had some say "well, what's that mean?" such a pain in the butt, sometimes :spank:

i guess a bike to ride for distance but also "sporty?" someone PM'd me that it is a "sporty" bike but not a "sport" bike

so if it were a car, what would it be? sometimes motorist can identify more closely when you compare bikes to a car and it'll just shut 'em up. so i can say...."it's like a Honda Accord but with a 600HP engine and capped at 140mph"

best i can do :rolleyes:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
At least one poster says its a "standard" but if it makes me "feel better" call it a sport standard lol. But isn't a "typical standard" like a Triumph Bonneville, or something? I don't think of an FZ6 like that.

That guy had it right. It's a standard Jap i4 600. Same family as the hornet and bandit. It's designed to be frugal enough for daily use, while being exciting enough to take out on the weekends, but also easily rideable for a wide range of skill levels, and at the same time have just enough comfort to cover it's range. If it were designed in the 60s it'd be a bonnie.

Sports bikes: full fairing for aerodynamics, fully aggressive engine tuning and gearing, clip ons and seat position for head down/bum up riding position. - Not an FZ6.

Sports tourers: based on sports bikes, less aggressive riding position, large capacity engine to cope with much longer journeys, much more pillion and luggage space, mod cons such as adjustable seats, electric screens, navigation, heated stuff. - Not an FZ6

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly my answer depends on who's asking. I tell my family and conservative, non biker types that it's a sport bike since otherwise they don't believe me. Besides, the fz6 looks and drives more like a sport bike than anything else, so it's a simple and fair answer.

When talking to sport bike riders I would call it a standard. Avid sport bike riders would disagree that the fz6 is a sport bike because it has modifications to make its riding position more upright and, crucially, its engine has been de-tuned for less top-end horsepower in exchange for more torque. IMO this makes the bike more practical for driving on the street (which is all I and probably most motorcycle users do), so I am happy to tell sport bikers that I have a standard.

Most people have a preconceived notion about the bike's type, and it's easiest just not to violate that notion. After all there are valid reasons to think it's a sport, a standard, or a sport standard.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a sport bike, just not a supersport a.k.a. race replica.

But my mind is rather simple when it comes to bike classifications.

In my mind the FZ6 competes with the likes of the Street Triple, Honda 599, SV650, etc. All track worthy bikes. If you can track it, it's a sport bike.

k6Yfqwv.jpg

Btw, Yamaha does in fact list the bike as a "Sport bike" on their website.

Last edited:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly my answer depends on who's asking. I tell my family and conservative, non biker types that it's a sport bike since otherwise they don't believe me. Besides, the fz6 looks and drives more like a sport bike than anything else, so it's a simple and fair answer.

Well said! I do the same thing. For people that dont know much, I say sport bike.
For other riders I say its a sport tourer, or standard.

I love the "Is it a Crotch Rocket?" question... Then I respond with a quick and assertive NO

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
damn, my bike is boring, i guess

i need to ride something that will excite me. what are some exciting bikes to ride?

Exciting, fun and more fun. It's not sport bikes but hooligan bikes that put the big grin on your face. My 990 fits the exciting bill quite nicely.

IMG_2657_zpscdbb7835.jpg

Don't get hung up on what your bike is called, just have a good time.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The more I think about this question, my second opinion is this:

I think some people use bike classification as a way to tell you how serious they are. To some people, an r6 is a "sport bike," an r1 is a "super sport," a Panigale is a "hyper sport," and a Kawasaki H2 is so damn fast that people who own one call all the others "sport bikes."

Not everyone does this! Bikes have classifications or names for good reason. A Harley has some important differences from an r1. However, I imagine that the people who replied to the OP on that other forum might have done so because they wanted to emphasize that they think they are sportier riders (on sportier bikes).

In my opinion, that is a game not worth playing. Some people want other people to know how serious they are. I say to that: Whatever.

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm....well maybe i will go with "sport touring?" people do ask, and have had some say "well, what's that mean?" such a pain in the butt, sometimes :spank:

i guess a bike to ride for distance but also "sporty?" someone PM'd me that it is a "sporty" bike but not a "sport" bike

so if it were a car, what would it be? sometimes motorist can identify more closely when you compare bikes to a car and it'll just shut 'em up. so i can say...."it's like a Honda Accord but with a 600HP engine and capped at 140mph"

best i can do :rolleyes:

If it where a car I would say either a Mustang V6 OR Camaro V6. The R6 would be the V8 versions.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
As my first my bike (22 years old), I warned my father the morning I was going to look at and possibly buy a sport touring motorcycle that day (He's not into cars or bikes).

When I came home with it strapped to the bed of the truck and he saw the 2 brothers pipes sticking out of the back with the Aztec8 streetfighter conversion he said:

"Sport touring my ass" with a disgusted look.

:spank: :D

It really is the swiss army knife of motorcycles though, I absolutely love it. I do wish I had some more torque down low and stronger brakes, but I'd be nitpicking for the money at that point. I'm extremely pleased with it.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Exciting, fun and more fun. It's not sport bikes but hooligan bikes that put the big grin on your face. My 990 fits the exciting bill quite nicely.

IMG_2657_zpscdbb7835.jpg

Don't get hung up on what your bike is called, just have a good time.
A perfect photo for "The Riding Game" to fill one empty spot in challenges list :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If your FZ6 was a car it would be something like a Lexus or Infiniti sedan, a small one albeit.

An R6 or R1 is a true sport bike.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
If your FZ6 was a car it would be something like a Lexus or Infiniti sedan, a small one albeit.

An R6 or R1 is a true sport bike.
I describe to the unitiated as the "Ford Focus ST" of the bike world: it's a utility bike, with a good kick. And just like the focus wouldn't keep up with a sports car, the FZ isn't in the same league as sports bikes.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I describe to the unitiated as the "Ford Focus ST" of the bike world: it's a utility bike, with a good kick. And just like the focus wouldn't keep up with a sports car, the FZ isn't in the same league as sports bikes.

meh... way to make me feel good about my vehicle choices...