I like the 8k RPM to unleash the beast :)

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, completed ~3000 miles before I hit the 3 month ownership.
I want to say I love my bike, and love all of you guys.
You're so helpful and friendly.

Just want to share my feeling for my FZ6 after riding to a couple of mountain roads, twisties, city riding and hundreds of interstate rides.

I really like the pull I get when I hit the 8k RPM, just to have that feel, every weekend I go on the interstate and just hit that sweet spot and enjoy it for a few seconds/ few times.

It is a great streetbike, not to mention, and it gets 43+ mpg with all stock, which is very good.
Mine stays under 190 F temperature once I hit atleast 20 mph and keep going, and reached 215 on sitting idle, I guess the fan kicked in at that time.

Couple of questions I have regarding this TamedBeast:
On comparing to R6, why do we have that extra weight? Where did the extra weight come from?
Even after these many miles, I'm not ready to spend hundreds of dollars on exhaust, PC3 etc., but want to shed some weight, is that achievable?

Is there something wrong with my speedometer or it is just a general error?
I see 133 mph on my gauge and Garmin GPS 1390LT recorded 128 mph only.
I've used the same model, but a different device couple of years ago, and I always see 1 or 2 mph comparing with car's gauge.
Is this why you guys have Speedo healer? In that case, I'll count -6 (to be safe) to what it is being displayed on the gauge.

I've seen Triumph, Suziki, Ducati, Kawasaki riders today, most of them said mine is a good looking, comfortable bike after sitting on it.

They say they can ride all day long on mine..! :)
Overall, as others said earlier, it is a swiss army knife of motorcycles.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the stock exhaust, it's going to be much heavier in terms of weight versus an aftermarket. One of the advantages of ditching the stock exhaust.

The speedo has about a 7-8 % plus margin if you have stock gearing. But the speed indicator is more accurate at lower speeds, under 45 mph. I can't even remember when the last time I hit over 100 mph. Be careful at those speeds. Remember the statistics, speed is one of the most common contributing factors when it comes to crashes.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the pull I get when I hit the 8k RPM

Take that up to 12 grand some time in first gear and see what you think!

I think our bike weighs only slightly more than the R6 - it's just that the weight of ours seems very focused toward the top of the bike. When that weight is low to the ground it doesn't feel anywhere near as much.

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I always try to make sure the entry into the freeway has enough space in front of me so that I can make full use of the rpms available, all the way from first. It lasts a couple of seconds but there will be no more complaints of the bike being slow after that ;).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re the speedometer, almost all vehicles, the speedometer is intentionally set to read high (as posted above)

To correct this, put in a "Speedohealer". It is a truly plug and play unit. You adjust it after checking the true speed with your GPS.

I have mine easily within .5 MPH at 60 MPH.

Yes the GPS is extremely accurate but it takes a second or two to "catch up" and show your speed(especially when accelerating hard).

Once set up, your Speedometer will show your true speed IMMEDIATELY and of course, MUCH easier to see.

As a side note, it comes with a plug in accessory that will log and keep (until you re-set it) your highest top speed with the push of a button..

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Take that up to 12 grand some time in first gear and see what you think!
12k rpm in first gear? I don't get sarcasm :( , so, please tell me you're just kidding/joking with me..!

I think our bike weighs only slightly more than the R6 - it's just that the weight of ours seems very focused toward the top of the bike. When that weight is low to the ground it doesn't feel anywhere near as much.
around 40+ lbs
2008 Yamaha YZF-R6 specifications and pictures = 366 lbs (2005 model, the one I went for a friendly race with is ~357 lbs)
2008 Yamaha FZ6 specifications and pictures = 410 lbs

and here is a good answer form 4drfocus:

I have noticed alot of differences in the material used on the FZ6 vs. R6, especially the R6r.

FZ6 sub frame: steel
R6r sub frame: magnesium alloy

FZ6 exhaust: undertail w/ 3 catalytic converters
R6 exhaust: side exit w/ no cats

FZ6 swingarm: tubular aluminium
R6r swingarm: cast aluminium, plus it's 2 inches shorter

FZ6 fuel tank: 4.8 gallons
R6r fuel tank: 3.5 gallons

The R6 also uses a smaller rear brake rotor, and the inverted forks are lighter, keep in mind that 1 gallon (3.8 liters) of fuel weighs about 8 pounds.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Why would he be joking about going to 12k? He's just saying if you like the bike at 8k rpm, then you'll REALLY like it at 12k rpm. No sarcasm to be found.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Why would he be joking about going to 12k? He's just saying if you like the bike at 8k rpm, then you'll REALLY like it at 12k rpm. No sarcasm to be found.

Okay, thank god, I thought I would blow the engine at that RPM on a first gear.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, thank god, I thought I would blow the engine at that RPM on a first gear.
No way (as long as your motor is healthy). I believe redline on our bike is somewhere around 13.5k rpm and you can take the bike to that redline in just about every gear (exception would probably be 6th).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
12k rpm in first gear? I don't get sarcasm.

I just wound my first gear up this am (after filling up) to 13,000 RPM.

I quickly caught up with traffic which was about 50MPH.

It won't hurt anything winding it up, (at least not to the engine)...

Just lean forward to keep the front wheel on the ground...

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wound my first gear up this am (after filling up) to 13,000 RPM.

I quickly caught up with traffic which was about 50MPH.

It won't hurt anything winding it up, (at least not to the engine)...

Just lean forward to keep the front wheel on the ground...

Cool, I'll practice couple of times before going to the drag strip.
I never went more than 25 mph on first gear, no matter how arse I'm riding my horse, but, I remember the two incidences, when I was at an intersection with a fellow rider, racing to 70mph on 2nd gear.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry too much about the nose coming up, you have to be very aggressive to make the stock gearing lift much (I only get a little skip usually, and it's only lifted on me when I've been engine braking in first, and then had to quickly accelerate).

As a heads up, just before the redline I get:
1st: 58-59
2nd: 90
3rd: 120
4th: dunno
5th: dunno
6th: dunno.

As for dragging, just mind your clutch. Repeated high RPM clutch dumps from a stand still can fracture your friction plates. I'll be taking the opportunity to drag it in August, but I'll just be doing granny starts to avoid needing replacements (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs).

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
As for dragging, just mind your clutch. Repeated high RPM clutch dumps from a stand still can fracture your friction plates.
This is what i'm worried about in the first place, though I would fry my piston rings and fracture the friction plates. More over I don't have any quickshifter, power commanders or any other tools which helps and monitors my act, so, just being too careful with my girl..!

I'll be taking the opportunity to drag it in August, but I'll just be doing granny starts to avoid needing replacements (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs).
I'm the Jack of all trades and master of none, so you're totally fine.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Normal running, don't worry too much. A gear change at speed, with smooth clutch action doesn't do any harm (clutchless shifting, if done right, is totally fine even). It's the 8000rpm, dump the clutch launch that does the damage. Once things are moving on both ends of the drive train, there's not actually that much force going through it (relatively speaking). Just try not to bounce the limiter too often.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the clutch dump at higher RPM's.

This am or say I'm street racing(which of course I wouldn't do..), The rev's are a little bit higher starting, then just wind it up to 14K in each gear WOT.

As posted, 2nd gear, your in the 90's(MPH) with the stock gearing..

If your doing a .25 mile run, you probably won't get out of third...

My bike, on a hard launch, about 12k, unless I'm leaning forward, (I do have risers/set backs which helps putting my weight father back, easier to wheelie), almost always gets the front wheel just off the ground, no steering, for a short distance (and maybe a couple of inches tops), then second gear, it'll stay down..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A cpl weeks back with [MENTION=3969]mxgolf[/MENTION] I had to tap the rear brake to keep 2nd gear from landing me on my @ss! With a few subtle mods the bike does wake up! It pulls properly now!
:D I'll see a about a run a down the 1320" this summer and post up. I'm curious too!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also keep in mind that when that motor is at 12-14k, the on and off throttle will be much more critical because of inertia torque of the engine components. Once that motor is lit you must have skill and respect. It becomes a different bike. :rockon:
Don't ask why the FZ6 is heavier than the R6... Ask why is it an all round bike that you can go cross country on and take to the track!

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
She will willie in first if you drop the clutch from high rpms. I personally feel safer doing it going 10-15 already compared to a dead stop is scary for me. lol I like power shifting out of first into second and pulling the bike towards me to get the front tire to lift.

I work right off a highway so i get to have fun with first and second gear a lot.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry too much about the nose coming up, you have to be very aggressive to make the stock gearing lift much (I only get a little skip usually, and it's only lifted on me when I've been engine braking in first, and then had to quickly accelerate).

As a heads up, just before the redline I get:
1st: 58-59
2nd: 90
3rd: 120
4th: dunno
5th: dunno
6th: dunno- 136 MPH about 12,000 and still pulling

(I ran out of bridge, no side streets and flat ground at that speed) That's with a corrected speed, Speedohealer with using the top speed memory lock. So its a true speed, NOT Yamaha's reading high, stock set up..

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had it level out with 142/3 on the clock (so like you say, mid 130s actual) but it was way off the the redline, and the roundabout was getting really big while the clocks were getting harder and harder to read. Being the N model, I doubt I'd ever actually max out 6th due to lack of aerodynamics.