To wave or not to wave at other bikers?

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I just moved to the Den Haag area from the US. In most parts of the US where I have ridden, it is the accepted practice to wave or at least lift a hand to other bikers when you pass by each other. I went out for a short ride today and it seems not many folks here wave. They probably think I am the stupid american now, right? :confused::confused::confused:

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
i remember that ... i tend to nod more so ... keeps hands on bike for start n 99% generaly nod or tip head to side in acknowledgement :thumbup::rockon:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

well actually thats a general, more american oriented topic.

for the NL, the hague or den haag is known for its more foreign inhabitants, lots of guys from aruba and the other islands. I've noticed they have the tendancy to wave a little less than normal bikers, and usually ride hayabusa's or gsxr's with extended rear ends.

Not saying they're all like that, but when you get to the eastern part of the country, in the 'achterhoek' you'll find the REAL dutch bikers.

Listen to this :cheer: Normaal-Oerend hard - YouTube

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Down here In Florida, with year round riding, the sport bikes generally wave at other sport / semi sport bikes(FZ6 included) / sport touring.

The Harley guys, 99.9% of the time, WILL NOT WAVE to anything other than a Harley. BMW's about the same...

With so many bikes on the road, I generally don't wave/nod unless the other rider does first.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I just moved to the Den Haag area from the US. In most parts of the US where I have ridden, it is the accepted practice to wave or at least lift a hand to other bikers when you pass by each other. I went out for a short ride today and it seems not many folks here wave. They probably think I am the stupid american now, right? :confused::confused::confused:

Indy, most Dutch bikers will wave, just a raised open hand (not a forest gump wave ;)), they will even wave a leg if they're busy using the clutch :thumbup:. In Holland most harley riders will wave as well (but sometimes only if waved at).
There is definately a difference between NL & UK, In the UK they mainly nod at other riders (as rebuilt says).

well actually thats a general, more american oriented topic.

for the NL, the hague or den haag is known for its more foreign inhabitants, lots of guys from aruba and the other islands. I've noticed they have the tendancy to wave a little less than normal bikers, and usually ride hayabusa's or gsxr's with extended rear ends.

Not saying they're all like that, but when you get to the eastern part of the country, in the 'achterhoek' you'll find the REAL dutch bikers.

Listen to this :cheer: Normaal-Oerend hard - YouTube

Tim it's not just the "achterhoek" where they wave, most places wave, although I agree in the cities they tend to wave less. I must admit I would keep my hands on the handlebars more often in cities, especially with the tram tracks and the many cobbled areas. The cobbles, or bricked areas can be very slippery when wet, and quite often grass or moss grow inbetween the cracks :eek:

By the way Indy, how are you finding life in the Netherlands (in comparison to the US)?

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input Cloggy and Drinky.

As for life in The Netherlands, it is great. Family is settling in and we are really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I dont get to ride as much s I would like due to work. I cant ride to work much as I have a work car and unpredictable meetings to travel to in which I have to wear a suit, so it is a bit impractical to bike.

Thanks

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Down here In Florida, with year round riding, the sport bikes generally wave at other sport / semi sport bikes(FZ6 included) / sport touring.

The Harley guys, 99.9% of the time, WILL NOT WAVE to anything other than a Harley. BMW's about the same...

With so many bikes on the road, I generally don't wave/nod unless the other rider does first.

i agree with the harley statement, as i dont wave toward a hog unless he initiates the wave first, unless there's a whole brigade of pirates, i which case i will start the wave, but usually after no response it turns into :Flip:

BMW riders however, usually wave in my area, again as long as you dont ride a hog. I wave when i can and nod when i cant, and if a bike has an ADV sticker on it, i give "the salute" (if you dont know, dont worry bout it)