I like the 8k RPM to unleash the beast :)

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, thank god, I thought I would blow the engine at that RPM on a first gear.

Only time you might blow the engine is if you were to bounce it off the rev limiter too often. The gear you're in ultimately doesn't matter for engine longevity, simply how many times the engine and as such the crankshaft* is rotating per minute to maintain a given speed. You can turn your RPM into rotations per second if you take the number ex 6000RPM and divide it by 60 (amount of seconds in a minute). In this case, 6000 / 60 = 100 revolutions per second. Pretty crazy when you think about it, but the engine can handle it no problem.

There's not much point in revving past 12,000RPM due to the torque curve, so that's why I'm saying to run it up to there. Even if you did wring out the engine as fast as it can go, I wouldn't be worried about any sort of catastrophic failure - it's meant to be high revving and due to the fact it shares most of the components with the even faster revving R6, I'd worry even less.

Might suggest if you ever get an open country road or something and decide to rip the bike, use your clutch a bit to shift from 1>2, but then go strictly clutchless by preloading the shifter, snapping the throttle shut, and then snapping it open again. Assuming you're running it up to 12,000 or so each time, you'll have a blast doing that.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Only time you might blow the engine is if you were to bounce it off the rev limiter too often. The gear you're in ultimately doesn't matter for engine longevity, simply how many times the CRANKshaft (I think) is rotating per minute to maintain a given speed. You can turn your RPM into rotations per second if you take the number ex 6000RPM and divide it by 60 (amount of seconds in a minute). In this case, 6000 / 60 = 100 revolutions per second. Pretty crazy when you think about it, but the engine can handle it no problem.

There's not much point in revving past 12,000RPM due to the torque curve, so that's why I'm saying to run it up to there. Even if you did wring out the engine as fast as it can go, I wouldn't be worried about any sort of catastrophic failure - it's meant to be high revving and due to the fact it shares most of the components with the even faster revving R6, I'd worry even less.

Might suggest if you ever get an open country road or something and decide to rip the bike, use your clutch a bit to shift from 1>2, but then go strictly clutchless by preloading the shifter, snapping the throttle shut, and then snapping it open again. Assuming you're running it up to 12,000 or so each time, you'll have a blast doing that.

Minor details - fixed it for you! Camshaft(s) turn 1/2 the speed of the crankshaft on a 4 cycle engine.

I'm not trying to brag here, but with some little tweaks the bike has more potential. Just opening it up swiftly and the nose comes up in 1st gear NP. You can let it settle or keep on it and leave it up shifting into 2nd and it keeps it up (may go over if too carried away), but generally speaking the nose falls down at about 80mph (12K) as it runs out of power. It's actually pretty entertaining to ride compared to how it was stock! :thumbup: And no, I haven't done anything to lighten it except maybe the S1 Exhaust.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Minor details - fixed it for you! Camshaft(s) turn 1/2 the speed of the crankshaft on a 4 cycle engine.

I'm not trying to brag here, but with some little tweaks the bike has more potential. Just opening it up swiftly and the nose comes up in 1st gear NP. You can let it settle or keep on it and leave it up shifting into 2nd and it keeps it up (may go over if too carried away), but generally speaking the nose falls down at about 80mph (12K) as it runs out of power. It's actually pretty entertaining to ride compared to how it was stock! :thumbup: And no, I haven't done anything to lighten it except maybe the S1 Exhaust.

Thanks for the correction. Rushed, pre-work post!

Wheelies are something I'd like to learn in the future, just for fun. Something to show off a bit and impress kids with, although I know I'd likely get screwed over by the local police force by doing it in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay guys, I did it finally.

I stopped on the side of the road and did a 4k RPM start and she didn't prance on me, switched to 2nd gear and in no time I see 75mph (probably 71mph)
then I tried it a couple of times immediately, but I didn't warm the tires enough, and it was a big curve, I felt rear wheel slip/skip/drift for a split second at 70mph (3rd gear), since it was a curve, I don't blame the tire (PR4 with 1200 miles on it). But it was a great experience all around.
Luckily not even once it did prance on me. Feeling lucky about that :( I can't do a wheelie on this bike:
1. Too scared..! :scared:
2. Not enough personality

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay guys, I did it finally.

I stopped on the side of the road and did a 4k RPM start and she didn't prance on me, switched to 2nd gear and in no time I see 75mph (probably 71mph)
then I tried it a couple of times immediately, but I didn't warm the tires enough, and it was a big curve, I felt rear wheel slip/skip/drift for a split second at 70mph (3rd gear), since it was a curve, I don't blame the tire (PR4 with 1200 miles on it). But it was a great experience all around.
Luckily not even once it did prance on me. Feeling lucky about that :( I can't do a wheelie on this bike:
1. Too scared..! :scared:
2. Not enough personality

Just simple get it rolling in FIRST GEAR., straight line, (preferably in no traffic, private road, etc)..

Just roll out as normal, you can either simply nail it, WOT (the front should get light around 11-12k.

It'll just be an inch or two, enough to loose steering..(keep it straight up and down)..

Or (as noted above) run it up to say 10k, back off the throttle and then nail it.

The farther forward you lean forward, the less the front will come up.

Should you accelerate hard thru an intersection with a "hump", if you hit the hump with the power climbing, it'll also help lift the nose.

My old FJR (Gen 1) @ 4k (not quite half throttle, (no bags on), I could back off the throttle, nail it and EVERY TIME, lift the nose about 5". With a passenger, same procedure, SECOND gear too. That bike had 145 HP at about 8K and was pretty torquey with a red line of 9K

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
The white line on a particularly aggressive overtake can skip my front end up sometimes. That was an interesting moment the first time..... Lol