To PC3 or NOT PC3, THAT is the question...

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, absolutely fantastic site! I joined this forum because my girlfriend recently picked up her second bike, a 2007 FZ 6. What a great bike! I have a 1200cc ninja, and her bike is much funner to ride around town than mine! I also have found that it's hard to find a bike that sounds as cool with an aftermarket set of pipes on it than the FZ 6, but I'm sure you fine people already know that. Anyways, the first thing I did was settle on a set of pipes for her- a set of Mivv carbon fiber slip ons. They should be here in a week or so. I have the ability to gut her cat pipe on my own, (like I did last nite, HA HAAA! -sorry :D tasteless joke) although I'm thinking of mounting these pipes first to see if we're happy with the sound with the cat still intact. The odds are though, that I will gut the cat for a lil more sound and power, and I'm wondering what the stock computer will let me get away with without leaning the bike out. I'm sure it's lean as it is, to help pass emmissions. I'm considering an aftermarket air filter and a power commander, but I haven't been able to find much info on what I can expect. What mods will require getting a power commander? And, which model of power commander do I get? It seems like this model of bike changes somewhat from year to year. I'm thinking that with these combined mods, I might go beyond the set parameters of the stock computer, and it won't be able to keep a decent air to fuel ratio. I'm no stranger to modifying bikes, but one wrong change on her bike and I'll never hear the end of it! Your thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated! Again, excellent site, and great bikes, and I can't WAIT for the new V-max! YEEEEHAAAAAA!!! Thanks a bunch, Mike.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
if you are no stranger to tuning bikes this should be a pretty easy desicion for you. You cannot tune the stocker but you can tune a pcIII. you will get more power with one than without. there are no downfalls to a properly tuned pcIII, except maybe cost. but that cost is less than a new motor that grenades because of improper tuning.

you could even turn the power down for her and up for you (hehehe) :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i don't see any downfalls to a PCIII, if you get it tuned it will be be the best mod you ever do, more power and a bike that runs smoother never hurt anyone.... well maybe the more power part :rockon:

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
Up till now, all of our bikes have been carbureted, so I've never messed with a fuel injected bike, at least as far as installing a power programmer goes. I was thinking it was just going to be a plug and play affair with the PC3. I would HAVE to have a dyno shop tune it, or are there just maps that you can download? I have already decided to just get the PC3, (where should I buy from?) but now the question is, what has to be done to it for the bike to benefit the most. Again, thanks a bunch!

Z

zoomman

i don't see any downfalls to a PCIII, if you get it tuned it will be be the best mod you ever do, more power and a bike that runs smoother never hurt anyone.... well maybe the more power part :rockon:

How's it work? Is it something a simpleton can do? And what's the around price?

andrewclaycomb

Reaction score
Visit site
How's it work? Is it something a simpleton can do? And what's the around price?

There are some user created maps you can download from the power commander website. It is basically just a custom fuel map. Just like tuning a piggy back ecu on a car. If you're stock I don't see the point, but if you changed your intake and exhaust than you could squeeze more performance out of your bike.

Unfortunately I've never used one but I believe you either solder it inline with your ecu or there may be a harness so it really is just plug and play.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
After installing my Scorpions, I found that the idle was a bit rough and the engine had some flat spots in the RPM band that weren't there before.
I installed a PCIII, downloaded the included MAP for Scorpions and it was like night and day. The idle smoothed out and there were no flat spots any more. There is more pull at lower RPM's as well. No magic about it, the bike is running richer at all throttle openings. I also installed a K&N filter which definitely made a difference in both sound and running.
I am going to have my PCIII set up properly at a dyno shop as it really should be fine-tuned, imo, to get the most advantage out of it.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Up till now, all of our bikes have been carbureted, so I've never messed with a fuel injected bike, at least as far as installing a power programmer goes. I was thinking it was just going to be a plug and play affair with the PC3. I would HAVE to have a dyno shop tune it, or are there just maps that you can download? I have already decided to just get the PC3, (where should I buy from?) but now the question is, what has to be done to it for the bike to benefit the most. Again, thanks a bunch!

You can down load maps for various configurations for the PCIII, or you can have a shop tune it for you. The maps are some what genaric, ie: Two Brothers exhaust, DB Killers in or out, or stock exhaust, etc. The beauty of proper tuning is, with the right equipment, the shop can tune EACH cylinder, instead of an average of all four cylinders.

Power Commander Downloads and Product Purchases, Maps, Installation Guides, Accessories

As far as buying one they will pop up here or there a bunch of places on the web.

Kneedraggers.com sells them for $289.00, a very good price. Dynojet EFI Control/Fuel Management: Yamaha > FZ6 - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

If you go to a tuning shop expect to pay about $300 to $400 for a tune on the dyno.

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
So when you opt to download a different map, does that require any special equipment, or is it as simple as downloading what you want, plug the PC3 into your computer with a supplied cord and you're good to go? Sorry about all the questions, but i wanna be prepared ahead of time. Thanks a lot for the info hellgate and others, I appreciate it.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So when you opt to download a different map, does that require any special equipment, or is it as simple as downloading what you want, plug the PC3 into your computer with a supplied cord and you're good to go? Sorry about all the questions, but i wanna be prepared ahead of time. Thanks a lot for the info hellgate and others, I appreciate it.

Plug and play. There is a USB port on the device and the maps are all on the web site. Too easy. :thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
the one I have dealt with (06 hayabusa) it was plug and play (uses connectors to splice into you factory harness) and yes you can just download new tunes onto it from your computer.
I would however get a dyno shop to tune it specifically for your ride. the maps on line are generic user based maps. a good shop can tune to your specific needs and altitude etc...

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
Pete, you rule bro. My plan now is, open up the airbox JUST a little, gut the cat pipe, install the Mivv cans, check out their website and download the most suitable map, plug that in, and go wailing into the sunset. oh yea, its HER bike. I'll follow. :rockon:

aceman1741

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have to do that with all aftermarket pipes? I researched Leo Vince pipes and they said that it doesn't need to be tuned afterwards or need a pc3. What do you guys think?

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, mOrE power, buwahahaha. power, power, POWER. Yeah baby.......oops what are we talking about here. Absolute power corrupts even the corrupted some more, LOL

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have to do that with all aftermarket pipes? I researched Leo Vince pipes and they said that it doesn't need to be tuned afterwards or need a pc3. What do you guys think?

They lie. :p
If they stated that you had to have your ECU remapped or you had to buy a PCIII, their sales would drop dramatically.
The reality is that no, you don't need to retune your bike after installing aftermarket exhausts....but it sure makes your bike run better if you do install a PCIII. ;)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They lie. :p
If they stated that you had to have your ECU remapped or you had to buy a PCIII, their sales would drop dramatically.
The reality is that no, you don't need to retune your bike after installing aftermarket exhausts....but it sure makes your bike run better if you do install a PCIII. ;)

+1, there is no need for you spend $300 on a PC3 if you have stock exhaust, but any aftermarket exhaust placed onto the bike, you may want to get one. Great example here, I purchased a set of Remus exhaust for my bike, but the bike is running lean. It's popping on the downside, my bike was tuned for the stock exhaust, not for the Remus. To maximize the efficiency of my new exhaust, I have to get a PC3 and get it tuned properly. I will say the the differnce in the tuning will depend on the types of exhaust you get. Some may need more tuning than others. Idanny got a set of M4's exhaust, and his don't seem to be popping as much or not at all compared to my Remus.

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think the real difference would be if you didn't also remove or gut the cat, like I am. I decided to purchase the PC 3 USB on her bike, but after checking their website for a suitable map and not finding on for our particular combo, I wrote to them saying that they should have something closer to what I need, for the 300 bucks that the unit costs. they sent me a reworked map, saying it should do the trick! Can't wait to try it in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lasermax - You spurred me from waiting to have the tuning shop install the PC3 and I put it on this morning.

Last night I uploaded the map, Akrapovic with DB Killers in. Very easy, took all of 10 mintues. (there are nice tutorials to guide you on the software use, very easy.)

This morning I popped the tank up, disconnected the wiring harness and plugged it in. It stated right up. I road about 25 to 30 miles this morning, a mix of neighborhood roads, highway and a bit of stop and go.

Overall the throttle response is better. I really noticed it on downshifting into a sweeper at neutral throttle and slowly dailing in more gas. The FZ used to hesitate and then kind of jerk into the power again, not any more, smmmoooth!

As far as over all power, the mid-range feels a bit stronger, but 8K to 13K is MAD! This thing really PULLS! I was on a slight downhill, rolling the throttle onto max and the front end got nice an light with me tucked in. I was happily surprised.

One question I do have what grade of fuel do I need to run??? I filled up with mid-grade, 89 octane. I didn't hear/feel any pinging. Does anyone know if I need super? I hope not.

Once I get back from Annual Training in a few weeks I'll have it dyno tuned. Too much to do between now and leaving this Saturday.

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete I believe that the dyno shop can tune it specifically for what type of fuel you intend to run... did the map say anything about it? I would guess that you will be ok with whatever fuel you have been running until you get it tuned so long as there is no pinging/doetonation but i would be sure to tell the shop that you intend to run XXoctane after the tune and they will square you away.

but we can see that you are not doing too good on rebuilding that checking account! :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Doc, no metion of fuel requirements, but I really didn't look that close.

I actually purchased the PC3 from Ant_mb a while ago. I just never had the time to install it.

The checking account did spend some money on a new First Gear mesh jacket yesterday, hit about 95, 99 today. Summer i here. The textile one was baking my bean.

Last edited: