Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ok so I crashed my fz6, probably totalled.
I will not be buying another FZ6 because I saw the fazer8 at the yammy dealer today.
I think it looks great! it realy is an fz6 but better.
Since my clavicle is still broken and my suit is trashed, I'll be waiting for my insurance to pay up, and go for a test ride in about 3 weeks (will be going to italy for my vacation).

I did talk to the owner of the store, and he already took it out, he said theres much more power in the lower rpm's, its a bit heavier but much more stable. feels somewhat like an fz1 but slightly more agile.
The fact it doesn't have much more horsepower is not important, torque is what matters, who rides 250km/h on the fz6 anyway?

So in about 4 weeks I realy think I'll be the proud owner of the bike you see above. I'll order the akra exhaust and I still have my black/red pazzo's.
so there. The other topic claiming its not any good>>you're just jealous:Flip:

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you'll be getting the open Akra system? Take a look at the torque curves for the slip-on vs the open... Much better torque curve with the open system ;) Other than that I must say I like the idea of the FZ8 better than the FZ6, BUT they should have spent more money developing the bike. It's a bit half-a$$ed imo..

Hope you enjoy it :)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you! Hope you heal faster and get out on the 8 quicker!

BTW, it's not an FZ6 but better... it's a scaled down FZ1. Nearly all the main components of the FZ8 are interchangeable with the FZ1. The FZ8 rolls off the same factory line as the FZ1.

What they've done is retooled the engine with sleeved cylinders to bring it down to 800cc, new cams, crank and intake. The vote is still out on the valves though... does it have 16 or does it have 20 valves like the FZ1? Either way, they've focused this bike on added low and midrange where we want it more often than not and detracted from the top end where we use it little. I think Yamaha did a great job with this bike and saved a TON of R&D and re-tooling at the factory by simply reusing nearly all the FZ1 parts which have not enjoyed significant sales.

I'd really like to try one out to compare! Then I can say I've ridden the entire FZ family lineup! :D

rchamberlain

Reaction score
www.rogerchamberlain.com
Hey, I don't hate it. But from what I have seen of the reviews, for the step-up in price there are other bikes to take a look at. I'm glad you like it. For me, I'll be looking at other bikes in that price range that may deliver more. Maybe I'll be impressed with the FZ8 when the time comes. Either way, I'll be jealous of your new ride!

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
I second the concern about the price. The FZ8 is on my short list of bikes I'd consider used in 3-4 years, but the new price does seem a bit steep.

I once read an interview with a Brit who was now running an American car magazine. He was asked what differences he sees between American and British readers. The difference between the two he said, was that Americans are obsessed with numbers. I feel that this obsession with numbers often leads us to desire bikes and cars that aren't as good or quick in real world driving. This is the problem that the FZ8 will have in the states. Low RPM torque is critical for real world driving, but comes at the cost of peak horsepower. I personally feel that if Yamaha had put the GSX650F's torquey motor in the FZ6, the FZ6 would be a much better bike for off-track use.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I don't realy mean its an fz6 but better, even tho I wrote that..

But it is an overal upgrade on so many parts. If this has to replace the FZ6 in general,
it probably does a great job. Don't get me wrong, I loved my fz6.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know why the went away with the FZ6.

The FZ8 seems too close to the FZ1. Are they planning to discontinue with the FZ1? Then the 8 makes sense, it can replace both bikes.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The vote is still out on the valves though... does it have 16 or does it have 20 valves like the FZ1? :D

From what I've read, it's a 4 valve/pot set up.

Smaller fuel tank (only a litre less).

Non adjustable forks.

I'm tipping that the rims, and the muffler are lighter too, and with the 180 rear it'll weigh less too, so these are all places that contibute to the weight saving (9kg's wet I'm reading)

The 180 rear will make it a tad more flickable, but with the weight gone from down low, you'll sadly lose some of the planted feel the FZ1 has, which on the street is a good thing IMO, but the difference isn't really that great.

The low revving sleeved FZ1 donk will last forever, it won't destroy tires as quickly, and you should get slightly better fuel consumption.

Being mostly an FZ1, I reckon it'll be a fantastic bike, but probably a bit more sensible for commuting.

However if you live in an area with long sweepers, and motorways, the FZ1 will come into its own.

Disappointing bits for me are, the non adjustable forks, the lower horsepower ('cause I live in a place where I get to use the extra regularly), the muffler (which most folk are just going to...ahem...can, anyway) (sorry about the pun):BLAA:, and the price. They're going to struggle to sell bikes if they are going to price them the same as a bike with better specced goodies already onboard.

As for the underseat exhaust, the FZ6 does it well I must admit. Other underseat exhaust bikes I've ridden just about give you blisters on your backside, and as long as it isn't scraping on the deck, then I don't see it as a problem on the side down low....once it's replaced with something that looks nicer.:thumbup:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
As Wolfy says, we don't hate the bike, I think they look awesome, I saw a white naked one a couple of weeks ago. We just don't think they are worth all the extra money and they come across as a parts bin special (I guess they did lose a ton of money :( ). A FZ6 with mods would probably be better and why get a FZ8 when you can get a FZ1 for about a grand more :) Either way its a yamaha and a FZ at that. So you are keeping with the family :)

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
As Wolfy says, we don't hate the bike, I think they look awesome, I saw a white naked one a couple of weeks ago. We just don't think they are worth all the extra money and they come across as a parts bin special (I guess they did lose a ton of money :( ). A FZ6 with mods would probably be better and why get a FZ8 when you can get a FZ1 for about a grand more :) Either way its a yamaha and a FZ at that. So you are keeping with the family :)

i like the fazer 8's front end a lot more than fz1 though. i wouldn't mind getting a used fz8 at a lower price when someone makes a decent looking slip on LOL

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Ok so I crashed my fz6, probably totalled.
I will not be buying another FZ6 because I saw the fazer8 at the yammy dealer today.
I think it looks great! it realy is an fz6 but better.
Since my clavicle is still broken and my suit is trashed, I'll be waiting for my insurance to pay up, and go for a test ride in about 3 weeks (will be going to italy for my vacation).

I did talk to the owner of the store, and he already took it out, he said theres much more power in the lower rpm's, its a bit heavier but much more stable. feels somewhat like an fz1 but slightly more agile.
The fact it doesn't have much more horsepower is not important, torque is what matters, who rides 250km/h on the fz6 anyway?

So in about 4 weeks I realy think I'll be the proud owner of the bike you see above. I'll order the akra exhaust and I still have my black/red pazzo's.
so there. The other topic claiming its not any good>>you're just jealous:Flip:

picture.php

Sorry to hear about your off Tim, hope you heal up soon.

I must admit I'm starting to warm up to the FZ8 although I do find the standard exhaust fugly.

As for the price I think the street name on that last pic says it all ;)

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I must admit I'm starting to warm up to the FZ8 although I do find the standard exhaust fugly.

I like the look myself, and agree with the super-mega-fugly exhaust.

The street name.. :rof: .. The Piggy Bank (hope thats right??)

:rockon:

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your off Tim, hope you heal up soon.

Yes, the street name was also the first thing that came into my eye. :)
I even made a search on the name on google maps, you can even see a 3D version of the street. ;)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After seeing the FZ8 N and S in the flesh yesterday, I wouldn't buy one. Nice, but for that money, I'd rather get the FZ1.

That pipe is pretty awful but that could be mod number 1!

I would like to ride it but I don't like the "look" of it enough to say goodbye to my baby..... :shakehead:

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
The *only* thing I like are the forks and bridge.. I dislike the exhaust, different frame looks, brake lights, front-pipes are bent weirdly, etc etc.. So I'm happy for you, that your happy. But I'm MORE then happy I bought an FZ6 :cheer:

Conclusion; I'm in love with the FZ6:rolleyes:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
i would consider it if it was at a fairly reasonable price on the 2nd hand market and parts of fz6 would be fairly difficult to get. reason is cause i ride my bike everyday, if parts take a few days it would mean i have a leave my bike at the workshop for a few days.