Tire wear....?

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
How far do you push your tires until you actually replace them?

My front tire tread is getting pretty low. My wife and I want to go for a 200 mile ride, but I was unsure about the tire (I'm 6'3" 240 and she is 5'6" 140, if that matters).

Here's the pictures of my front tire (Bridgestone Battlax)
Front view of tire:
IMG_0060.jpg

Outter edge of front tire:
IMG_0062.jpg

Middle of front tire:
IMG_0063.jpg

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
your worried about the front??? well.. you could always take it to a dealer and ask them.. or get one of those tread depth gauges... hope it helps :)

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In MI I believe you have to have at least 1/16" of tread. To test this take a penny and insert it into the tread with Lincoln's head going down into the tread. If his whole head is visible you should replace the tire(s).

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the wear bars. When you get close, replace them.

My rule for replacing motorcycle tires; if you think it may be time, it's time.

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
In MI I believe you have to have at least 1/16" of tread. To test this take a penny and insert it into the tread with Lincoln's head going down into the tread. If his whole head is visible you should replace the tire(s).

Check the pictures. Outter tread is still good... the middle of the tire is almost flat

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The wear bars are located in the center treads (at least with the Bridgestones they are). They are little bumps found inside the actual tread. Look along the tread channel and you'll see them as you spin the tire. If the tire is worn so that the wear bars are at the surface, change the tire. You're more likely to be at the wear bars on the rear tire first, so check that one.

My BT020s are toast as well (at 8K). Lots of wear left on the sides, but the middle of the rear tire is ground down very badly. It's so squared off it feels like a sharp edge as I rub my hand from the center to the outside of the tire. The front one is cupped badly too (run your hand along the front tread from front to back - if you feel each tread is badly bumped from the front to back it's cupped).

I just ordered a set of Pilot Road 2s today. Damn expensive, but I can't wait!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I have about 10.5 K miles on the stock BT020's and still going. I'll probaby put another 5 K on them. I don't scare easily. I wear my shoes until they fall off and ride on tires until they blow out (or get out of round, etc.).

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
damn it sure is... well... lots of sales going on.. motorcycle-superstore.com has free shipping and can help locate a perfed tire installer.... other than that your going to the dealer.. i dunno about what kind of weather you have up there, but i really like my pirelli diablo strada's... great grip... looks like they will last a while.. maybe 8-10k... but good luck.. lots of good tires out there... just ask around...

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the other replies...its time to replace those tires. Mine look similar after only 6400 miles....the front is also cupped badly. I check the pressure often, but they still cupped, not sure if the wheel is out of balance or what. There was a thread a couple of days ago with a link for Diablos @ $180 a set ( both tires), it is a great deal, so I bought some.:rockon::thumbup:

You only have (2) tires man, so don't take chances. Also it ruins the ride if all you do is worry about if the tires are ready to blow.:confused:

good luck,

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
My tires are getting to a similar wear level, and I just received the Pirelli deal package from Cycle Gear. I've wondered if low tread is an indication that the rubber thickness is getting to the level that your tire might blow or be more susceptible to a puncture, or if it's more an issue of low tread won't handle wetness well. I've been continuing to ride while new tires were in transit even though my wear bars were exposed.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Explain to me what the wear bars are...

Spin your tire and look for little arrows on the sidewall pointing toward the tread. Follow the arrow toward the center of the tire. You will see raised bars between the treads.
When your tread is close to, or at, the bars, it is time to replace the tire.
Do not ride with a tire after the bars. It will handle unpredictably, be very prone to hydroplaning, an can blow out.
Like it was said before, you only have 2 tires. Don't take chances.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, mine aren't that bad and I am getting ready to replace them. If you got into some rain or something you could easily slide or hydroplane that tire. It's different than with a car, and better safe than sorry.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They've served you well. Buy a new pair and you'll be blow away at how well you bike will handle.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I have about 10.5 K miles on the stock BT020's and still going. I'll probaby put another 5 K on them. I don't scare easily. I wear my shoes until they fall off and ride on tires until they blow out (or get out of round, etc.).

So if they blow out while leaned over on Salmon Falls Road and you live through the crash will you let us know?

Mr Wildman, don't forget as tires wear they also lose grip due to all the heat cycles they have been through. Replace those worn out in the middle tires-you and the little woman are worth it.