Tire wear....?

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
Look for this sort of thing too.

These where new tires to boot.

Defective tire- Pirelli Diablo Strada - Sportbikes.net

Of course the thing I find interesting about the thread in the link above is how the tires in question were bought on line, then taken to a local dealership for mounting, then taken to the same local dealership for a warranty claim. The original poster even says that he doesn't want to ship the tires back to the seller because of the costs involved.

Amazing...

Then there is the misconception that the distributor (Parts Unlimited in this case) has some liability here, and that they are another on line sales company when in fact they only sell to dealers.

So far in the thread the local Triumph dealer hasn't been thrown under the bus, but it wouldn't surprise me to see later on if it happens. Even thought they were simply and generously mounting a tire purchased outside their business.

Bruce

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would by strada's again in a heart beat./.. but yea, maybe it would be better to buy them at say cycle gear whee you could get a good look at them... but i would still probably buy them from online if i had to... that post where they seamed like an old batch, i wouldnt have put those on in the first place if there were all sorts of cracks in the side walls...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
but yea, maybe it would be better to buy them at say cycle gear whee you could get a good look at them... but i would still probably buy them from online if i had to

I always try to buy from the local stores (if they are good people). The online stores really kill the local shops. They can't possibly compete with the prices.
For the most part, they can come pretty close. If you talk to the parts guys, tell them what you want and that you would rather buy from them, they can come up with a competitive price. They won't be able to match, but at least come close.
I just bought a new front tire. I paid about $30 more to buy from the local dealer. But in my eyes, I want them to stick around. They offer great support, and it's hard to find a motorcycle shop that does.
Besides, if they go out of business, who will mount that online tire?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
So if they blow out while leaned over on Salmon Falls Road and you live through the crash will you let us know?

Mr Wildman, don't forget as tires wear they also lose grip due to all the heat cycles they have been through. Replace those worn out in the middle tires-you and the little woman are worth it.

RedWazp, where should we send the check, to your home address? Thanks---Bridgestone Tire Company

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always try to buy from the local stores (if they are good people). The online stores really kill the local shops. They can't possibly compete with the prices.
For the most part, they can come pretty close. If you talk to the parts guys, tell them what you want and that you would rather buy from them, they can come up with a competitive price. They won't be able to match, but at least come close.
I just bought a new front tire. I paid about $30 more to buy from the local dealer. But in my eyes, I want them to stick around. They offer great support, and it's hard to find a motorcycle shop that does.

true.. but the guy asking is in alaska, so i figured i would throw out options.. i agree to help support local shops that provide good service... good point..:thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I wish there was a local shop I trusted. :(

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
true.. but the guy asking is in alaska, so i figured i would throw out options.. i agree to help support local shops that provide good service... good point..:thumbup:

You know how hard it is to find any street motorcycle shop here. Almost every dealer (Kawa, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda.... ) they are all ATV shops.

So I have to drive 100 miles to the nearest moto shop. I will most definatly buy my tires online. It will save me almost $100.

Thank you guys for all the info too.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site

Here, same feeling that you have about Local Bussiness Problems...
I bought both front/back tires and replaced at the local store last week.

Last edited: