Metzeler Z8 @10K

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Metzeler Roadtec Z8 I put on the bike approx 2Yrs ago has run over 10K miles and I think it is time to change them. It has a bit of tread left(especially the rear), but I want to replace the tires at the same time and the front ones have a weird profile on them now. So, I wanted to checkin with the pictures and get some opinions on general maintenance for longer tire life.

Present state of the tires:

Front Tire :
image_2_.jpg
image_3_.jpg
image16.jpg

Rear tire :

IMG_20150427_181731.jpg
IMG_20150427_181800.jpg
IMG_20150427_181706.jpg

As can be seen from above images :

Front tire :
Center part of the tire is raised with flat wears on either side stopping at the chicken strips (yeah, wide ones too : ))
Some tread still left but small cracks are visible inside the grooves.

Rear tire :
Flat spot at the center, although I think it is much rounder now than before (before - when a douche-bag stole the bike and decided to do a burn out on brand new tires).
Decent amount of tread and no visible cracks on them.

My impression of the tires has been neutral to boring. I have never felt them losing traction in the dry or wet, but something about the profile always felt like it starts to tip over a bit more than expected after a particular angle. Hence the chicken strips(approx 1 inch on both front/rear) - I never felt confident of exploring the footpeg scraping potential on these. The front started developing the weird wear since the last 1000 miles I think.And the rear might have lasted longer too if not for the loss for rubber due to aforementioned burnout.

Pressure - Has been 32 Front - 34 Rear most of the times. Just dropped to 30 Front and 32 rear to see if lower pressure helps inspire cornering confidence, but not much change.

What I need some suggestions on :
- Is the front wear normal or indicative of less pressure? What pressure do yous run for regular commuting and the twisties?
- The small cracks on the front - is it normal at such mileages or is it just that the rubber has got dry(and less grippy)?

I do ride two up sometimes and have made the following changes in the last 5000 miles :
Changes to the front shock height(>15mm to 20mm) - mostly over 15mm.
Preload(10-15mm) with stock suspension
Racetec spring with 5mm preload and 19mm front shock drop for the last 500 or so miles.
I liked the quick turn in and the feeling from the front because of the shock height drop, but felt too much weight transferred to the front while braking. Now it is back to 15mm. Rear shock is stock with the adjuster set at 5. I weigh 180pounds without gear.

Anyway, as replacements, I am getting Pirelli Angel GTs. They are on the way and I hope to mount it myself sometime this week. Have read a lot of reviews on these being much sportier than Metzelers and run approx 10k miles.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, Metzelers are out and Pirelli is on the bike finally. Took a lot more effort than I thought taking the old tires off myself but the new ones went on much easier. I kept the metzelers a bit longer and went for a ride down 555 over the weekend before replacing them. They held fine as they should, nothing scary or exciting about them. I'd definitely recommend them for long mileage!!!
I just got to ride the pirelli this morning to office(abt 5miles) and they feel sticker (new rubber ofcourse) - like on velcro or something. Never felt like this on the Z8 when new, it gripped well, but not so much. The stickiness and the quick fall in needs a bit more getting used to since moving from the squared and cupped up tires.

As for the questions above, I have replaced the tires so cracks are no more a concern. Pressure, I just decided to keep Yamaha recommended pressure as lowering(30-32PSI) it seemed to have caused the uneven wear of the Z8 front tire.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience with dual compound sport and sport touring tires, the front always wears like that. Wears out on the sides with more tread in the middle in a narrow band like that. The rear eventually flat spots. You really can't complain about 10K miles out of tires if you like to ride spirited twisties often.