Ticking - Cam Chain Issue?

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2009 Yamaha FZ6 has 11k KMs and I'm hearing this ticking noise at idle. It seems like a cam chain tensioner issue to me. When bike starts up at first there's no ticking noise, but it starts when engine is hot. Also, those noise doesn't go away when the clutch is engaged.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKIOPzWxtsQ[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
My old 6 made a similar noise. Tensioner didn't fix it, never did figure out what caused it as it wasn't consistent

I have my old tensioner if you want to borrow it and see if it changes, I'm in Richmond Hill.

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
My old 6 made a similar noise. Tensioner didn't fix it, never did figure out what caused it as it wasn't consistent

I have my old tensioner if you want to borrow it and see if it changes, I'm in Richmond Hill.

Well, my ticking is consistent. When bike starts at first, no ticking at idle, but as it warms up it starts ticking.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I've been told the Yamaha's have this Yamatick noise. Some say it's normal and nothing to worry about.

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been told that I should go with a manual CCT. But they're probably not so easy to install it or adjust

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd get it looked at ASAP before it gets worse and more expensive

after getting my new CCT and valves done, there's no ticking noise anymore

my mechanic mentioned that he had to replace his CCT 3 times in a year on his honda 600, he uses a manual tensioner now, but you have to be on the ball with maintenance

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One day I should make utube acct and post up mine. Using the screw driver to the ear and poke the about on the engine I hear mine is from the other side but like yours is tame when started cold and increases after warm starts.

Grab a long screw driver and cup it to your ear, wonder about the top and bottom, mid section, stator area, headers, valve cover, CCT, and guides front and back as well as the transmission. By the time you're done you'll be a afraid to ride it! :spank::spank: j/k

But its done since I got it with 4000 miles on it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Replacing the CCT is a quick and temporary solution. But if your chain is stretched out, no CCT is going to fix your problem, you will need to replace the chain. Ignoring the ticking sound will eventually cause your Crankshaft Position Sensor to grind away against the gears, and your bike will eventually seize. Posted this based from my own personal experience.

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
Replacing the CCT is a quick and temporary solution. But if your chain is stretched out, no CCT is going to fix your problem, you will need to replace the chain. Ignoring the ticking sound will eventually cause your Crankshaft Position Sensor to grind away against the gears, and your bike will eventually seize. Posted this based from my own personal experience.

Ok, but how could the chain be done after only 11k KMs?

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
What's funny is, some say it's normal Yamatick engine noise and don't worry about it. While other's say the bike is gonna blow up if you don't get it fixed soon. So I go from not worrying to being completely freaked out about it. LOL

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
If I was to replace the CCT with a manual one, what's involved? I hear it's not as simple as just swapping the old CCT for the new one.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I think a lot of people are worrying about noises that are not worth worrying about.
If you google "FZ6 ticking noise" you will find hundreds of threads and videos of bikes that to me sound completely normal but to some people sound like a bike about to self destroy!

Now, regarding your noise, i find it to hard to judge an engine noise via a camera, sometimes the mic amplifies certain frequencies and make the sound worst than it really is.
But to me your bike sounds perfectly fine. Only ticking i hear i would attribute to the injectors.

Keep in mind that an engine is a metal box with hundreds of controled explosions per minutes and a lot of metal parts moving very very very fast!
It is bound to make some noise and some clicking.

IMO your bike sounds a lot like this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dshImH6wYQI[/ame]

Which is the exact same noise my bike and my friends FZ6 make, it worries a lot of people online, but i think it is the normal "Yamaha tick" and is fine, it's probably just the injectors, or the valves, or a combination of the two.

The CCT noise is pretty different, you can hear it in this video after the 2:20 mark when he releases the tension on the chain by turning the screw driver clockwise, it is clearly a different noise.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVmZVne13U[/ame]

I don't think this sounds anything like your bike, meaning i doubt your CCT is bad, if you want to make sure there is an easy procedure to check it, it's in the manual.

Unless your bike sounds like this i would not worry about it to much!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA7Z61d-5Vg[/ame]

Now, go ride this thing...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
There is nothing terrifying in installing and adjusting manual CCT. I did it to mine because with warm engine I had this ticking noise between 3-4 krpm. I was not sure if it was the cct but was worthy spending 50 bucks.
How I did it: shifted up to 6th gear and moved the bike forward to be sure the cam chain is taut between the front cam shaft and crank shaft. Then gently removed the cct. Looking on the tensioner piston I knew more or less how far it was out to delete the chain lash and I adjusted my new manual one alike.
Then I installed the manual one and using only fingers screwed the adjustment bolt to the limit. Again moved bike a bit forward to be sure about the chain slack between front calm shaft and the crank shaft. Again tried to thighten the adjustment bolt. It was impossible to force it more in just using fingers so I decided to start the engine.
After it warmed up I played a bit with the adjustment, found the point when rattling starts, then reach the point my fingers were not able to screw it in more. From this point I just screwed it off by 1/4 of a turn and tightened the counter nut.
After approx 200 km I rechecked if the setting is ok and it was perfect.
And the most important thing- no more yamatick on my bike :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, but how could the chain be done after only 11k KMs?

What's funny is, some say it's normal Yamatick engine noise and don't worry about it. While other's say the bike is gonna blow up if you don't get it fixed soon. So I go from not worrying to being completely freaked out about it. LOL

I would start off by replacing the CCT. A relatively simple and cheap corrective measure. If the ticking noise returns again, whether it's several months which was the case for me or a year or two later, then I would suspect that a new chain is in order.

I ignored the noise and my original sensor grinded away. I had to order the replacement part from Japan, since no dealer kept them in stock. I grinded away my second sensor, and had to order another one, from Japan. This time, I had the Cam Chain, Guides and whatever else needed to completely overhaul that area of the bike to ensure that it was 100% fixed. I had the valves check and readjusted and spark plugs swapped out at that time as well.