Those that have been off. Those that will. I joined the latter club today.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. More accurately, I joined the "just didn't see him" club. I'm fine, and the bike has minor cosmetic damage.

A buddy and I were out enjoying the weather when we approached a two-way to one-way stop sign intersection. After a stop, my friend made the left and I waited because there were cars approaching. The the road to the right curves out of sight not far up the road, leaving little time between 'oh it's safe' and 'oh sheeeit, CAR.' So as I waited for the two cars to pass, a girl in a Vovlo comes up from behind me, inches forward along side of me to my right while looking right and cuts the wheel left and turns into me.

Her driver door must have hit 100% of my rear because I haven't yet found any damage on my right. There are multiple minor scrapes on the left where the bike went down. I'm just happy that I got out of there with all my bits and pieces intact. Not a scratch.

She got out and, clearly at fault, was very apologetic. I called my insurance company and let them know. I'm going to put together a rough estimate myself of the following parts and let her know. We may settle outside of insurance, depending on how things go.

All items (all left side) have minor scratches/scrapes, as I was moving ~3 mph and the time I went down.

front turn signal
rear turn signal
mirror
clutch lever
bar end
front fairing plastic (very top pointy corner... need just the black headlight shroud)
handlebar (from clutch lever scraping in)
slider
crank case cover (slider saved most, but it did touch and scratch)
kickstand
gear shifter
rear/side fairing (the teardrop thing that pops in on the side)
rear footrest

This is pretty much a complete list. I think I'm going to wash it thoroughly tomorrow and go over it again. Need to make sure where my boot contacted the tank is just a rubber scuff and not dented/scratched. All in all, a cheap and friendly reminder how vulnerable we are.

Last edited:

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Just so I'm understanding this -- you were waiting at a stop sign, the other driver came up behind you, rolling up to the same stop sign you were at. She tried to "lane share" the stop sign with you, but didn't have enough room and hit your bike?

Bummer. Sounds like you handled it a lot calmer than most people would have. Hopefully not too much damage. When calculating your own estimate, be sure to include any gear you had on that may have been damaged. If you had on a helmet and struck the pavement, it could be toast - if it's a high-end one (like a Shoei), they will mail in and test. Otherwise, just get a new one. And look for rips in seams of gear, etc.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
UGH.. that's really unbelievable!! How can someone be so damn clueless as to come up behind a motorcycle and then forget the bike is there?!

Glad you're OK, man. You only called your insurance.. you didn't call the police on the scene?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Just so I'm understanding this -- you were waiting at a stop sign, the other driver came up behind you, rolling up to the same stop sign you were at. She tried to "lane share" the stop sign with you, but didn't have enough room and hit your bike?

Not entirely. I was in the left position of the lane waiting to go when she pulled up and started "lane share" to my right I think unintentionally- she either saw me earlier and thought I went or never saw me at all. She's from the area so it's reasonable to assume her gaze was fixed to the right on a challenging intersection. She then made her left inches from me, with the driver door hitting my tire. I was ready to go but as soon as I cleared the road for take off, there was a 3000 lb sedan in my face and pushing me over.

Bummer. Sounds like you handled it a lot calmer than most people would have. Hopefully not too much damage. When calculating your own estimate, be sure to include any gear you had on that may have been damaged. If you had on a helmet and struck the pavement, it could be toast - if it's a high-end one (like a Shoei), they will mail in and test. Otherwise, just get a new one. And look for rips in seams of gear, etc.

Honestly - I was hot. Really hot, but a bit too shocked to unleash the fury. Screaming on the inside, happy to be unhurt, sad to see my girl on the ground... all that came out of me was absolutely necessary conversation.

When calculating your own estimate, be sure to include any gear you had on that may have been damaged. If you had on a helmet and struck the pavement, it could be toast - if it's a high-end one (like a Shoei), they will mail in and test. Otherwise, just get a new one. And look for rips in seams of gear, etc.

I think I'm going to take it to a shop. They'll be able to quote OEM parts, labor, and inspect for anything that I might have missed. I was wearing everything except proper pants. Still haven't gotten around to upgrading jeans.

Gear is 100%. I fell right out of it on my feet I think. Not sure if my gloves even touched the ground. Ugh... the thought of my foot getting caught between the car and bike or something like that...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about your bike but glad you stepped away OK! I wreckon my helmet would be damaged after it broke her window for BEING SUCH A DUMB@SS!!!!

What's wrong with these people!!!!! Do I dare ask how old she was and was anything distracting her in the car?

Again, Glad you are FINE! Sad way to end the season. . . :(

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK, man. You only called your insurance.. you didn't call the police on the scene?

Thanks. That is correct. Honestly, I didn't know what to do. Nearly 20 years of driving and I've never been in this situation. My buddy was told what happened by one of the cars that I was waiting to turn for, and he rode back around, relieved to see me standing. In hindsight, I should have called the police. However, I felt comfortable there was no chance at blame being placed on me. There were no witnesses to the accident, but I do have a witness to her admitting fault.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
UGH.. that's really unbelievable!! How can someone be so damn clueless as to come up behind a motorcycle and then forget the bike is there?!

It's Delaware, Eric....Delaware:BLAA:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
What's wrong with these people!!!!! Do I dare ask how old she was and was anything distracting her in the car?

Again, Glad you are FINE! Sad way to end the season. . . :(

I'd say she's early 20s. Couldn't say if she was distracted.

The season is NOT over. 12 hours before this happened, I finished up installing grip heaters. Gonna be in the low 70s this week! :thumbup:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha... actually West Chester but you know those college gals...

Thanks motojoe. It's only a scratch on the bars. I may take this opportunity to go with FZ1s.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Word of advice.

You should have called the police.

Don't settle privately. Involve the authorities and the insurance companies.

How are you going to collect the damages from her if she refuses later down the line?

From my personal experience I would never settle anything privately.
Once you involve the authorities and your insurance companies. You don't have to worry about collecting damages from her.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Word of advice.

You should have called the police.

Don't settle privately. Involve the authorities and the insurance companies.

How are you going to collect the damages from her if she refuses later down the line?

From my personal experience I would never settle anything privately.
Once you involve the authorities and your insurance companies. You don't have to worry about collecting damages from her.

I didn't wanna upset pook by saying this, but I agree 100% :(
ALWAYS call the police in this type of situation. Be sure police report is filled out and you'll never have to worry about getting your damages paid for.

I sincerely hope this girl doesn't jerk you around now.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. I have had a situation before where a guy hit my tuck while parked. He owned up to it, gave insurance info, wanted to settle out privately (<500 damage) then stopped taking my calls. His insurance paid.

I don't anticipate a problem with this girl, or her parents (car is insured under their name). Thanks for the advice though. Will do if I ever have to go through this again.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. I have had a situation before where a guy hit my tuck while parked. He owned up to it, gave insurance info, wanted to settle out privately (<500 damage) then stopped taking my calls. His insurance paid.

I don't anticipate a problem with this girl, or her parents (car is insured under their name). Thanks for the advice though. Will do if I ever have to go through this again.

Good luck !

I had a similar experience when a pick up truck backed into my car. I was "lucky" because he actually was a mechanic. He offered to fix up the car.

I was stupid enough to agree, the insurance would have just written off the car and I would be happier and less stressed.

Anyway, it's good that you weren't harmed at least.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. Shoulda called the cops. She gave me her home phone number and her mother answered. She was not as apologetic as her daughter. I'll let the insurance companies fight it out. Try and do something nice, and you get bit. Oh well, I know she was at fault and am darn certain they will find the same. And I have a witness to her admitting fault if necessary.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't wanna upset pook by saying this, but I agree 100% :(
ALWAYS call the police in this type of situation. Be sure police report is filled out and you'll never have to worry about getting your damages paid for.

I sincerely hope this girl doesn't jerk you around now.

This is definitely true. My sister was hit by someone in her car when she was in college and tried to settle outside of his insurance...He tried to avoid paying and only paid when she threatened to call the cops on him for a hit and run since she had his driver's license number and plate number and both cars still showed damage.

I've been hit in my car before and first thing I will do the next time it happens is take pictures, including pictures of who was driving, license plate, location of crash for several angles, etc. THEN call the cops. I've heard of too many hit and runs lately...a lot of people are not insured and will try to run...especially if you have a lot of "non-citizens" in your area (if you catch my drift).

The other reason to call the cops is to help teach the at fault driver a lesson. An at-fault driver really should leave the scene of the accident with a citation.

Ride safe!

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
The other reason to call the cops is to help teach the at fault driver a lesson. An at-fault driver really should leave the scene of the accident with a citation.

You know what - this is so true. She would have gotten a citation for careless/mindless driving, and I would have gotten a quick and easy settlement. Again, it all comes down to my stupid compassion and desire to be nice.

Got a call from her company, investigation has begun. Getting it looked at by a shop where a friend works. Then, her insurance adjuster will look at it.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
You know what - this is so true. She would have gotten a citation for careless/mindless driving, and I would have gotten a quick and easy settlement. Again, it all comes down to my stupid compassion and desire to be nice.

Got a call from her company, investigation has begun. Getting it looked at by a shop where a friend works. Then, her insurance adjuster will look at it.

A good lesson for all of us. Make em' pay!

Most of all, you are OK and in the end that is the real bottom line.