Thinking of doing a -1/+2 sprocket change.

Chackster

Reaction score
Visit site
Planning on doing the -1/+2 sprocket swap this winter. Probably going to go with Vortex (I think the blue rear is really sharp). Just wondering if anyone had any experience/advice with doing this mod. What do people have to say about Vortex, or any other sprocket manufacturers? I know alot of guys go -1 on the front, but was curious what results people had with combining that with +2 in the rear.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did the -1, +2 on my old bike, it was definitely a drastic change, but nothing annoying and it was a definite improvement in acceleration, but the RPMs also were about 700 higher on the highway, takes some getting used to. I think i will leave the FZ the way it came, or only one of the two changes.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the -1/2+ and it's a big difference. I used the VORTEX and i am very happy with them. I bought the 520 conversion kit and they give you the option for the color for the rear sprocket (i went black to match the colors of the bike) and the RED chain to match the bike as well. But in my opinion it's worth it.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I did it on a 98 Honda Firestorm and really liked the results. I went with the Vortex sprockets and R+K chain and also put on a speedo healer. I don't think I'm going to do it on the FZ but you never know.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the -1/2+ and it's a big difference. I used the VORTEX and i am very happy with them. I bought the 520 conversion kit and they give you the option for the color for the rear sprocket (i went black to match the colors of the bike) and the RED chain to match the bike as well. But in my opinion it's worth it.

What was your $$$ total?

corekneelius

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read about some noise differences, what has your experience been? Also, have the "rough" shifts N to 1 and 1 to 2 changed at all? Tell me about wheelies!!!!

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
all i hear is the motor (and exhaust) ready to take off, as far as the wheelies, i don't have the !@$!! to try LOL.

MarineRider

Semper Fi
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Alright gotta question, I want to do the same Mod to my 08 FZ6 and went to the Vortex website and looked for the sprockets... Im a mega n00b so I looked for the component, make, model, and the Model didnt show an FZ6... So I have no idea what size or what ever I need to get for it. What'd or where did you guys get them?

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
look on EBAY, you will see or may not set 520 conversion kit, if you see a sprocket by itself that is what you want. I think i bought mine for SOME ALL PARTS. Just look for the sprocket and look to see what they offer. I went with the 520 RED chain with a 48th rear BLACK sprocket and 15th in front. When you find the site then all the options are up TO you, i was like a kid in a candy store. This is what the conversion kits looks like.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks nice! Did it change the bike the way you expected? Too much? Too little? Review please?

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the benefit of the 520 as opposed to the stock chain? I don't know much...(noob)... also, how much difference is there in the length of chain you need? -1 and or +2...

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been to the Sum Of All Parts website looking for a 520 conversion kit for my 2007 FZ6 but don't see any avaliable. Now pardon my ignorance, but are the sprockets year specific? I'm asking because the website lists Yamaha 03-05 FZ6 FAZER 520 CONVERSION CHAIN SPROCKET but none for >2005. Will the 2003 - 2005 kits work on my 2007?