Theft question

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Im moving to San Diego as some of you have already read. There is a high theft rate there. What are some things I can do to prevent a stolen bike?

I could get some locks for the rotors, but it can still be picked up.
What good does a security alarm thing do if it just beeps?

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Im moving to San Diego as some of you have already read. There is a high theft rate there. What are some things I can do to prevent a stolen bike?

One thing you could consider is LoJack, but it's pricey.
Motorcycle Theft and Vehicle Theft Recovery from LoJack

I know some people's alarm systems will send a text message to their cell phone if it goes off, but don't know what kind of systems they are or who makes them.

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
What about something that will stop them from stealing it and driving to Mexico?

If someone really wants your bike, there's not a whole lot you can do. Chain it to a post... they use bolt cutters. Disk lock... two strong guys throw it into a van or truck. However, these things will make it more difficult for them to take and might slow them down a few more seconds.

You might think about one of the really thick cable locks such at the Kryptonite. I used this to help secure my trailer before I sold it.
Cycle Gear - KRYPTONITE Super Hardwire Cable Lock: Super Hardwire Cable Lock

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
You're smart to think about this. I've lived in the San Diego area and yes, vehicles disappear and end up in Tijuana frequently.

I had some theeves check out my bike a few months ago. They either didn't want it or they got spooked before taking it. The only reason I know they looked is that my cover was gone the next morning. Also, my buddy and his neighbor live only 1/4 mile from my apartment... that same night both of their bikes were gone (ZX-10's). Personally I believe that most stolen sportbikes are physically lifted and carried a couple feet into a trailer, which is then closed and driven away. With this said, here's my suggestions:

1. Park your bike either in a hidden area where it can't be seen by trollers or park it in a well-lit area. After my bike was targeted I moved it from the parking lot to the inside of my apartment stairwell.
  2. Cover it. Use a generic cover if possible. The FZ tends to look almost like a Sportster under cover, not a sportbike. Hell, buy a Harley cover for it... nobody will steal it!
  3. Fasten to an immovable object if possible. If this isn't possible, park it between your cage and the curb. Makes it harder to carry without making noise.
  4. If you have the budget... locks, alarms or lowjack can't hurt.
  5. One last thought. If you have the money, you can make it impossible to steal. Most of us don't have the money to do this. IMO, the budget solution is to create as many obstacles to theft as possible. Theefs like easy targets. They want to be in-and-out in seconds, not minutes. Make your bike complicated because there are plenty of easy ones out there that they can find instead.

Jake

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey Mate,
Why don't you PM MarkyG, he is a UK Police officer with an interest in bike theft prevention. I know we are in a different country but thieves are scum regardless of nationality. The UK bikes come with Yamaha engine imobiliser system. I have an alarm, data tag, ground anchor, disk lock and a will for revenge like a purple passion.

Good luck

H

HavBlue

[*]Cover it. Use a generic cover if possible. The FZ tends to look almost like a Sportster under cover, not a sportbike. Hell, buy a Harley cover for it... nobody will steal it!

Jake

I love it and to be honest this idea actually has some validity. The reason they don't take the Harley is because many of their riders are 250 pounds and carry a Smith and Wesson.........

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I love it and to be honest this idea actually has some validity. The reason they don't take the Harley is because many of their riders are 250 pounds and carry a Smith and Wesson.........

I agree as well. Covering is a great idea. I keep both my bikes covered all the time. I also find that the older and worse the cover looks, the better. If you get a new one, take it out and drag it around in some dirt and mud so it looks old. Shiny new cover = high chance of a shiny new bike underneath.

H

HavBlue

I agree as well. Covering is a great idea. I keep both my bikes covered all the time. I also find that the older and worse the cover looks, the better. If you get a new one, take it out and drag it around in some dirt and mud so it looks old. Shiny new cover = high chance of a shiny new bike underneath.

Right you are....

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another angle to this would be gap insurance. If my bike gets stolen, the insurance company (according to my agent) will stroke me a check for whatever blue book value is. At least this way, it's not a total loss.:rolleyes:

H

HavBlue

Better yet, get an oversized cover and sleep under it with your Smith&Wesson :welcome:

Better yet, get some C4 and wire it to a motion sensor. When the sensor trips and the bike blows up the insurance will pay for the bike and the world will be free of one more bike thief.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Better yet, get some C4 and wire it to a motion sensor. When the sensor trips and the bike blows up the insurance will pay for the bike and the world will be free of one more bike thief.

I like where your head is at man:D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I like that idea, a MCBIED - Motorcycle Borne Improvised Explosive Device.

You could pack it in your truck area. The sticker says it is rated to 7 pounds. You could use a mercury switch so the second they touch it, WHAM-O!!! They're nothing but fine red dust.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Im thinking of setting up claymores around it.

Uhhhh, maybe not.....I'd like to ride it some

All this talk of C4's and stuff makes me want to play some Call of Duty 4

H

HavBlue

I like that idea, a MCBIED - Motorcycle Borne Improvised Explosive Device.

You could pack it in your truck area. The sticker says it is rated to 7 pounds. You could use a mercury switch so the second they touch it, WHAM-O!!! They're nothing but fine red dust.

Hey sarge, maybe we could rig some serious CS gas as a precursor to the big boom. This way the guy could at least die crying....