Theft question

I like that idea, a MCBIED - Motorcycle Borne Improvised Explosive Device.

You could pack it in your truck area. The sticker says it is rated to 7 pounds. You could use a mercury switch so the second they touch it, WHAM-O!!! They're nothing but fine red dust.
Nice one Pete, I like TWAT "Totally wasted another thief". This device need not only apply to bikes.

Nelly

Nice one Pete, I like TWAT "Totally wasted another thief". This device need not only apply to bikes.

Nelly

Yeah and just think, that thief won't bother stopping at your office Neil as his/her first visit will be to that of the coroner.

I have this chain : Almax Immobiliser III + Squire SS65CS Lock
Almax Security Chains Limited

In my garage, my bike is secured to a wall anchor with that chain, and my car is parked in front of it. When I go out, I secure my bike to a pole. It's not going anywhere with that chain attached to it.

Almax is a lot cheaper then some of the other brands out there, and their customer service is superb. They ship all over the world. Worth looking into. And check the video on the website.

Search for "almax" on youtube, there's a bunch of videos on there too.

Man that's a mixture of hilarious and even usefull suggestions. The "smith & wesson" thing works only if you are in close proximity of the bike. I have a similar system of "Dan Wesson", "Sig Sauer", and "Desert Eagle" as I choose, but the stuff about the Harley cover is brilliant. I don't really get the point of LoJack because it seems better to me to get some good insurance to cover the loss of the vehicle. I know some guys prefer to keep their costs down by making their premiums as low as possible, but in this political climate we don't have our rights to defend our property well protected. They used to hang horse theives ya know. Whether or not that is right or ethical is another disscussion.

I like the explosive solution in the realm of fantasy. I have had the stereo equipment stolen out of two cars to the tune of $3000+ each time and the speaker cabinet that was ripped off the first time took me a week to build. After that I envisioned a system that would arm as soon as the speaker box moved more than a certain distance from the car (the same way they have those proximity lock systems that unlock the car when you get close, and then re-lock the car when you walk away). In that scenario the merchandice move away from the vehicle enough that the trap wouldn't harm my car. I can't envision a similar solution to protect my bike. You're best bet would be to park it indoors. Nothing like an unseen bike to prevent theft.

A big problem with theft deterrent/prevention methods is that people don't use them. A successful theft deterrent has to be something you will use every day, so that on the day a thief comes by looking for a bike, it won't be the day you were in a rush and didn't lock up.

Just steering lock: pointless. youtube videos show people breaking those without any tools at all. Then they can just drop it in neutral and roll it away.
Disc Lock: By itself is no good, as a bike can be picked up into a van/pickup/trailer very easily.
Chain to a post/sign: Kind of a pain trying to find a sign close enough to lock to without a lot of hassle.
LoJack: Doesn't prevent theft - just helps recover and catch thief.
Cover: Out of sight, out of mind. Hard to case out a bike if you can't see it without touching.

Here's what I use. I got The Bike Barn for free on craigslist. Somebody was moving and didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it. Now that I have one, I wouldn't want to go without. It's just a tent for a bike, but it's much faster and easier to use than a normal cover, and you can cover the bike up while it's still hot.

standard_series.jpg

I got a Bully 5'6" noose chain and a 13mm onGuard disc lock. When parking not at home, I use just the disc lock on the front disc. When parking at home, I chain around the rear tire to a post. The chain is the ONLY chain I was able to find that was both 5 feet long AND had a noose end. And it was only $50! The noose end allows you to use the full length of the chain to attach the bike to a post. Much easier than having to carefully move your bike close enough to get a chain to fit around. The risk is that with a longer chain, it is easier to cut or break it. Really any chain can easily be cut with a portable angle grinder, so I was willing to take that risk. The 13mm disc lock was the largest lock that would fit in the links of the chain, and it's fairly portable for on-the-road use.

b118e24f8ddf45b13bb41fedbce46477_refined.jpg

picture

After that I envisioned a system that would arm as soon as the speaker box moved more than a certain distance from the car

I spent a long time thinking about a car stereo modification that would thwart thieves. I didn't end up doing it, but I had it all planned out.

For those familiar with car stereos, you know that the connector on the back of an aftermarket deck comes with a matching color-coded pigtail. You crimp or solder the bare wires of that pigtail onto a harness that you purchase designed for the specific car you have (also color coded). The car side is a standard and the stereo side is a standard. When a thief steals your deck, they don't grab the wires, they just take the head unit. It's up to the eventual purchaser of the stolen stereo to deal with installing. So my proposal is this:
1). Open up the head unit (voiding the warranty)
2). Disconnect and swap a few of the pins for that rear connector. For inspiration, consider swapping the 12V power and speaker outputs. Interior light dimmer input would also be good.
3). Catalog the changes you make internally, and make sure you make the reverse changes when you wire up the harness.
4). Plug in and use your stereo. All is well.
5). If/when a thief steals your system, it will pass through a few hands and eventually end up in the hands of somebody who will attempt to install it in a car. That person will be in for a bit of a surprise when it does nothing but blow speakers and pop fuses when installed EXACTLY as the manufacturer recommends.

Granted, that doesn't really punish the thief directly. It DOES however punish people who purchase possibly stolen stereos. In my opinion, the people on the demand side of the stolen goods market are just as bad as the ones on the supply side.

I just drilled 2 large/long holes in the concrete ground in my sideyard, used some security concrete screws to lock in a thick steel L-shaped bracket, and poored quick-concrete on top of it all (using a home-made wooden mold). That gave me a anchor point for my motorcycle chain.

Something to keep in mind is that most smart thiefs will go for expensive bikes, or SS bikes that have a huge following for parts on ebay and such... the FZ is far from the top of the list, so I wouldn`t freak out too much... I`d buy a good chain and make sure the bike is anchored properly (frame, not tires).

Or you can always buy razor blades and place them strategically on your bike (make sure you remember where though lol).

:hijack:

Set your speaker cab on a pressure switch that is hooked to a relay which is then hooked to a stun gun and then to a bare wire coil attached to the outside of your speaker cab... speaker cab grabbed and pressure switch tripped, BAM!!

Okay but seriously, LoJack and Gap insurance... if it does wind up in Mexico.

Nobody's interested in stealing your bike. Get a grip. You can park your bike and leave the key in the ignition. Try it, nothing will happen. People will think that it's a sting op.

My bike was dismantled and a few bits stolen of it last week. The bike may not be as desirable or worth as much as other sports bikes but that doesn't stop people.

Luckily they didn't take the bike due to a ground anchor and a disk lock but they did cause around £800 worth of damage to my 05 FZ6 Fazer.

All they stole was the battery and a few bolts...

go figure...

only had the bike for around 4 months... i have had my Honda Shadow parked there for 2 years previously without any problems at all but as soon as you get something even slightly sporty they go for it...

London sucks.

**edit**

oh yeah... dump the tool kit !!
they broke into my seat storage and used the tool kit to undo a few bolts.

Last edited:
aatxe: you`re in the UK, that`s different, the FZ does have a huge following in Europe... I should have specified I was talking about the US in my post ^^... where the market for the FZ is nothing in comparison.

Sorry about your bike btw... that does suck!

Back