Tank Cover? Worth the price?

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
So, my tank was dented/chipped pretty good the other day, but I dont want to get into what happened... ( hint: f'n kids :spank: ) lol.

Anyways, I've been looking at the tank covers by Bagster (Top Sellerie - Deluxe seats for motorcycles, petrol tank covers, tank bags and scooter leg covers [Rates for an order from : CANADA]), but unsure if I want to spend the money for it. I am definately not looking to have it repaired any time soon. I think with the currency conversion it would cost about $100 USD for the tank cover. For the time being, I am just looking to keep the ugly damage hidden, while keeping the bike looking sharp and clean.

Anyone here currently use or have experience with one of these tank protectors? Is it worth it, or are there any other covers available?

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look too. I'm not sure if I'll get one, it's possible though. I'll have to consider it... if you buy it, please post pics of it on the bike.

Mud

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that would be great for storing or working on it even when you daily drive maybe take it off for the weekends

luke25167908

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look, Wolfman had one on his bike for a while.
hi sorry to bother you i new to this site an i have a question i wont to powder coat my tank i work for a powder coat company but just got some questions i wont to ask like,
time in oven ?
what temperature ?
will the tank buckle ?
hope you can help thank you luke

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Top Saddlery seat, and the quality is top notch. So I would assume the tank cover would be the same. Can't really tell you much about the actual product though, other than its from France :D

And you can build stuff on their website....I'm pretty sure they have a bunch of colors for the tank covers....I was looking at them at one point. Not to buy......but because looking at bike gear/parts is addicting haha!

Last edited:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Top Saddlery seat, and the quality is top notch. So I would assume the tank cover would be the same. Can't really tell you much about the actual product though, other than its from France :D

And you can build stuff on their website....I'm pretty sure they have a bunch of colors for the tank covers....I was looking at them at one point. Not to buy......but because looking at bike gear/parts is addicting haha!

... and this forum is too... dang! :D

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I purchased the tank cover and received it a month later. I snapped a few photos of it with my phone today after I installed it. I dont think it looks bad, but I'm not sure if I will keep it. :( I think its the straps that really bother me. Maybe I will just go with a Targa Bra. :confused:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about this thing, but pretty much any "bra" type product for automotive use is a bad idea in my book. They get dust and dirt trapped under them and then scratch the finish while the bra rubs on the metal.

Plus it makes your bike look like this guy:

pulp_fiction_gimp.jpg

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i had a tank cover from top sellerie but i removed it. first off they did not send all the straps to keep it tied down securely. the quality is very good otherwise but as i said they ommitted two of the securing straps. it used to catch a lot of dust under it and scratched my lacquer a bit so i removed it and stored it away.

yours looks better than mine did so i would keep it to cover the dent

to luke,

i dont know what type of ovens are used for powder coating i mean i dont know what kind of temperatures are used, but i would never dare putting a petrol tank in an oven to cure. it might explode due to the fumes left off by the fuel, you have to let it dry out in the sun for months i guess to kill all the fumes and even then i think it s still risky.

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
i loved my old one, as i had the bag that clipped to the fixings on top of the cover. i have been looking for a black one for my current fz6N as someone scrached my tank while it was parked up.

alexandru.bilan

Reaction score
Visit site
Had one on my SV 650 (actually, I still have the cover, just sold the bike) and I loved-it. The reason I had it, well, the PO put it to cover a dent :)

+ no heat from tank+frame
+ no slipping, when I had my knees stuck to it
+ looks good
+ hides the dent :)
+ you can add a bag to it, easy on-off

- none, really :D

Mine was (is) a Bagster, mind you, but it's the same, probably.

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
Had one on my SV 650 (actually, I still have
Mine was (is) a Bagster, mind you, but it's the same, probably.

I think the Bagster covers look a little better. The straps are a little less profile since they are positioned closer the the bottom of the tank.

mikesova - lol @ the pic

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a tank bra and if it covers your dent go for it. It's fairly cheap and protects your tank from your jacket zipper. Just make sure you wax the tank before you install. I've used tank bras for a number of years and they never hurt he tank. Take it off and clean it once in a while.

Exfreelander

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Tank Cover? Worth the price? - thread resurrection

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm trying to get a tank cover for my S2 faired bike.

Baglux or Bagster seem to list a different cover for the faired and the naked bikes, but I can't think why. And the reason I'm bothered? My bike is orange, and the only orange one I can find is for a naked bike.

Anyway, to anyone who is thinking of getting one, I've had them before, clean and wax the tank before fitting to reduce the possibility of scratches. They're great for when you grip the tank when using the brakes, and a god-send in colder weather as there's no cold metal to make contact with your thighs on a long ride.