Tail light out

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK so I thought the bulb was out...even though it didn't look burned out. I bought another one from walmart and nothing. So I have a multimeter, but really don't know how to test the socket to see if it's getting juice! Anyone care to throw me a bone!

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
here's the socket...I tried setting my meter to 20V range and then touching the neg. to the outer metal band and the pos. to one of the two dots inside. With the key on and again with the engine on and a helper holding the front and back brakes on and still got no voltage to show. I guessed that one of the two dots inside was for the constant tail lights and the other was for the brake light. Any fuses I should be checking?

sjryser-albums-photos-picture5266-tail-light-socket.jpg

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm going to assume you tried both dots, as one is the running light, and the other would be the brake light.... Everything else sounds like what I owuld do to check for power.

Most likely culprit will be the fuse..... should be under the right side pod (I have not had to replace any on my bike yet, so that's from memory)

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Checked fuse. It was A-OK. checked power to fuse box, again A-OK. Started disassembling rear end and trace line from fuse box to tailight and then I saw it...a loose connection!

sjryser-albums-photos-picture5267-loose-connection.jpg

I put on a de-cat mid-pipe last month...I guess I didn't get it snapped in all the way!:spank:

Last edited: