Suddenly a strange engine rattle noise

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking maybe the seat cover stitching was coming loose ,but the muffler bearing is probably it..... come to think of have you greased the Flux Capacitor lately? :thumbup: :rockon:

I actually just greased mine the other day, I was all out of flux grease so I just used blinker fluid. I would think I should be alight there made out of the same snake oil arnt they? :BLAA:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually just greased mine the other day, I was all out of flux grease so I just used blinker fluid. I would think I should be alight there made out of the same snake oil arnt they? :BLAA:

Oh Man I don't know about the blinker fluid,you probably should have used headlight packing grease,try wadding up some toilet paper and packing it around the battery and wet it down to save your back up giga wattage for a rainy day.... I'm just saying.... :BLAA:

VenCe

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I've been away and also bought me a new bike last week, FZR1000 from 1991! :rockon:

The oil was fine, could not see any pieces or strange things in it. A mechanic will be looking in to this and the insurance will cover the costs. But I wont have any answers until beginning/middle of September. :(

I will post what caused the rattle sound when I've got the info from the mechanic, they couldn't tell me anything yet.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I've been away and also bought me a new bike last week, FZR1000 from 1991! :rockon:

The oil was fine, could not see any pieces or strange things in it. A mechanic will be looking in to this and the insurance will cover the costs. But I wont have any answers until beginning/middle of September. :(

I will post what caused the rattle sound when I've got the info from the mechanic, they couldn't tell me anything yet.
Any pictures of the FZR, I love that bike. For me it was the first proper superbike, "Yes I know lots of people think the GPZ900 was but it's not a Yam is it"?

Nelly

VenCe

Reaction score
Visit site
Any pictures of the FZR, I love that bike. For me it was the first proper superbike, "Yes I know lots of people think the GPZ900 was but it's not a Yam is it"?

Nelly

Here is a pic of it;

3265.jpg

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I love those! A friend of mine had one similar to that but white and blue. That thing was insane to drive. The first time I ride that thing I was riding off the housing development in 1st and second gear. I tough the power was ok. I got to the stop sign took off on the straight and pin the throttle WOT! At the same time I just kind of place my butt to be more comfy... (kind of the power wasn't there at all on the bottom end...) But when it got on the cams... Oh ****. I almost lost the bike... That front wheel took off nice and smooth and came back down. (I sat properly on the seat) then sift the second gear and WOT again.

That was a nice bike and that top end rush was out of this world for the days! At least it did for me.

mattwilk

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2008 FZ6N and have been working on a similar problem. very nasty rattle when i close the throttle any speed any gear even in neutral.
Done chain tensioner, head off as told buy the agent carbon deposits on valves, Striped the clutch and then found the inner most friction plate shattered. Took of the oil pan to find the last piece it was a bit chewed but couldn't find any other damage. put it all back together started it up and no rattle. feeling happy stopped it, started it again and the rattle was back same as before. So off with the clutch cover again but all looks fine but a lot of free play in the oil pump drive chain its completely flopping around. Is there a way to adjust it or change it without splitting the crank case?:eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2008 FZ6N and have been working on a similar problem. very nasty rattle when i close the throttle any speed any gear even in neutral.
Done chain tensioner, head off as told buy the agent carbon deposits on valves, Striped the clutch and then found the inner most friction plate shattered. Took of the oil pan to find the last piece it was a bit chewed but couldn't find any other damage. put it all back together started it up and no rattle. feeling happy stopped it, started it again and the rattle was back same as before. So off with the clutch cover again but all looks fine but a lot of free play in the oil pump drive chain its completely flopping around. Is there a way to adjust it or change it without splitting the crank case?:eek:

How many mile on the bike? You may have to change the cam chain and cam chain guides as well if there is a lot or wear. This happened to one of our members. He replaced the cam chain the tensioner and kept having failure until the guides were replaced..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Looking at the Yamaha manual, yes, the pan has to come off to access the pump. I didn't see any adjusments for the chain as its really short...

It looks, like the top part of the chain goes up around the clutch main shaft, the clutch basket has a sprocket attached to the back side of it. There is a oil pump chain guide, check, with the pan off, if its intact. If its worn/broke, you may get by without a chain... It kinda unusual for a chain that short, to be that loose. A worn/broke guide would more likely be the culprit. Possibly, with the chain guide off, you can get a new chain in there, the manual doesn't address this at all (that I can find at least)....

Apparently the water pump keys into the oil pump which is chained to the back of the clutch basket.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

[/B]Update 5:06P 8-6-12, read post #6:

FZ6 engine vibration - PNW Riders

[B

Last edited:

mattwilk

Reaction score
Visit site
That is the same noise i have , but for me it only comes when you close the throttle. i would take off the clutch cover and check the friction plates very carefully as on mine the inner most one had shattered. I still haven't found the final problem but my oil pump chain is very slack, so sump off and will take a look later. any ideas or help please.:confused:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If chunks were flying about its a good chance a piece got between the gear and chain and stretched it.

What you describe about WHEN it makes noise makes sense too. One could assume the oil pump is always presenting a LOAD to the chain, but f the engine decelerates fast if enough the chain goes slack and rattles about. Chains like to be pulled and so its OK as you accelerate. . .

I thought this had oil pump pictures but I didn't see much but there is thread here where a guy had the pan off and took pictures. . . Perhaps for a drain plug???

Link to a gutted R6
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...ke-guts-heres-bunch-r6-engine-trans-pics.html