Suddenly a strange engine rattle noise

VenCe

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I own a Yamaha FZ6 of 2008 year model, it have recently hit the 14000 KM (about 8700 miles).

The noise just started when i was on my way home from an evening ride this week, can't really locate where the sound comes from. Just had a look at the cam chain from what you can see from the side and it seem to be correct and no damages or slack so far i can see.

I've never noticed any strange sound or problems before, it still runs like it usually does so there isn't really a preformance issue, just the strange sound.

Here is a video of the sound; [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjahuRUVBys]IMG 0255 - YouTube[/ame]

What do you think it can be? :(

Last edited:
Wow that sounds rough!!! It seemed like I could hear it better when you had the camera pointed at the water pump, could you fire it back up and see if you feel any vibration coming from the water pump, or use a wooden dowel to pinpoint the noise?

My first thought was cam chain tensioner but that usually get quieter as the revs go up. (sounds like marbles in a can)

Didn't like the sound of your rattle, I would have a shop listen to it before riding much.

I would guess at either clutch basket or a bearing failure. Sounds just like my GPZ 305 when the crank shaft bearing failed. Which I hope isn't the case for your bike.
Nelly

Last edited:
Wow that sounds rough!!! It seemed like I could hear it better when you had the camera pointed at the water pump, could you fire it back up and see if you feel any vibration coming from the water pump, or use a wooden dowel to pinpoint the noise?

Yeah i know, just started from no where! - I can't really locate where the sound comes from, i will have a look and see if it could be coming from the water pump.

My first thought was cam chain tensioner but that usually get quieter as the revs go up. (sounds like marbles in a can)

Didn't like the sound of your rattle, I would have a shop listen to it before riding much.

I thought so too, but the chain seem to be OK, i've ordered a manual APE CCT just in case. I don't use the bike since the rattle started.

Can also mention that the sound is still the same even if i use the clutch or not and it doesn't matter which gear. And it really sounds like marbles in my engine! :eek:

disclamer:i have never been inside a bike engine!

sounds like a rod knock, but i'd take it to a pro, is there any white smoke coming from the exhaust? pull the oil fill cap and see if you're getting any smoke there, just brainstorming

Roll of the dice - how does the starter sound when when operated? Does it make the same sound every time? And what about shifting, anything seem different or feel different?

I'd park it!

Next step for me is to pull the oil filter and cut it open. Drain the engine oil INTO A CLEAN pan and look and see if you find a snap ring, a locater /alignment pin, or any small bit that one DOESN'T expect to find. It can be tough to cut an oil filter open but sometimes it needs to be done to see what's going on. Take your time and when open pull it apart an LOOK through all of the pleats for larger debris and then lets make a best guess.

As for the starter; it just sounds like something is dragging like it ate thrust washer from either the trans or the starer area.

Are you up for pulling the side cases off to inspect this or do you have a friend who can help?

Roll of the dice - how does the starter sound when when operated? Does it make the same sound every time? And what about shifting, anything seem different or feel different?

I'd park it!

Next step for me is to pull the oil filter and cut it open. Drain the engine oil INTO A CLEAN pan and look and see if you find a snap ring, a locater /alignment pin, or any small bit that one DOESN'T expect to find. It can be tough to cut an oil filter open but sometimes it needs to be done to see what's going on. Take your time and when open pull it apart an LOOK through all of the pleats for larger debris and then lets make a best guess.

As for the starter; it just sounds like something is dragging like it ate thrust washer from either the trans or the starer area.

Are you up for pulling the side cases off to inspect this or do you have a friend who can help?

Everything feel just the same as always, which maybe is good.. Yeah draining the oil is a good idea, I hope i won't find any pieces!

All the Yamaha shops in my region are busy 'till the middle of August, that's why I still have the bike parked at home. :(

Doesn't no one here have had the same problem or kind of rattle from the engine as I have? :confused:

Sounds just like the cam chain. I would suspect the Cam Chain Tensioner. Replace the CCT. I would inspect the cam chain guides as well. Your bike is an 08 with the S1 speedo?

Sounds just like the cam chain. I would suspect the Cam Chain Tensioner. Replace the CCT. I would inspect the cam chain guides as well. Your bike is an 08 with the S1 speedo?

I've ordered a manual APE CCT, hope i will have it during next week. Yes, that's correct it is an European version of Yamaha FZ6 '08 version, it is the same as the general FZ6-S '07 version.

There is two versions of '08 years model in Europe or atleast in Sweden one is the old S1 and the other one is S2, which is always with 89HP but the S1 there isa 78HP and 89HP.

Last edited:
Have you taken a long wooden dowel or long screw driver and placed the blunt end to your ear and then poke about with the other end. This will help you pin point the noise.

Silver engine 08? hmmm . . . how'd you get?

When it comes to Cam Chain issues, I have kind of become an expert on this subject since I've gone through three or maybe four position sensors to find out that just replacing the Tensioner may not solve your problem.

If you continue to ride it, the crankshaft position sensor will eventually grind away, and your engine will seize giving you an error code. It will eventually not start, still turns over but will not run. The sensor is rarely stocked here in the states and it would have to come from Japan. You can order one through the dealership or like sites like Bike Bandit or Ron Ayers.

You can start out cheap and order a new tensioner and see if that solves your problem. That corrected my problem temporarily but the noise returned. Long story short, I ended up replacing the Cam Chain, Cam Chain Sprockets, and Guides with a new sensor. Dealership did the work and had my Valves checked and adjusted while the head was off.

When it comes to Cam Chain issues, I have kind of become an expert on this subject since I've gone through three or maybe four position sensors to find out that just replacing the Tensioner may not solve your problem.

If you continue to ride it, the crankshaft position sensor will eventually grind away, and your engine will seize giving you an error code. It will eventually not start, still turns over but will not run. The sensor is rarely stocked here in the states and it would have to come from Japan. You can order one through the dealership or like sites like Bike Bandit or Ron Ayers.

You can start out cheap and order a new tensioner and see if that solves your problem. That corrected my problem temporarily but the noise returned. Long story short, I ended up replacing the Cam Chain, Cam Chain Sprockets, and Guides with a new sensor. Dealership did the work and had my Valves checked and adjusted while the head was off.

Yeah....but...how many miles did you have on your engine???? LOL!

Kenny, you are a warrior! :rockon:

Yeah....but...how many miles did you have on your engine???? LOL!

Kenny, you are a warrior!

Most of these (mine included) are like v*rgins compared to Kenny's bike which has been around the block a time or two! :spank:

Kenny, how is that headlight modulator holding up? Tks!

Have you taken a long wooden dowel or long screw driver and placed the blunt end to your ear and then poke about with the other end. This will help you pin point the noise.

Silver engine 08? hmmm . . . how'd you get?
I was thinking the same thing. Probably first registration in 08.

Nelly

That is not an 08. Silver bike and frame, my guess 2004 or 2005. Also the Instrument Cluster is the older generation which is another sign that it is not an 08.

That is not an 08. Silver bike and frame, my guess 2004 or 2005. Also the Instrument Cluster is the older generation which is another sign that it is not an 08.

All the paper from Yamaha says it is 2008 year model, i know more here in sweden that's from '08 and have the silver engine. They are registered and limited as 78HP and the black S2 model is 89HP engine. :)

It is just a throttle limited to 78HP from 89HP.. :thumbup:

Back