Stupid question: How much space between rear hugger and tire?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a friend with a fz1 that he uses for commuting and weekend rides. he bought a new rear hugger with only a 1/4" of space between the hugger and tire.
Is that a good idea?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a friend with a fz1 that he uses for commuting and weekend rides. he bought a new rear hugger with only a 1/4" of space between the hugger and tire.
Is that a good idea?

As long as it doesn't rub, I don't see the problem. The hugger moves with the rear tire, so it shouldn't be an issue.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that a good idea?

As long as it doesn't rub, I don't see the problem. The hugger moves with the rear tire, so it shouldn't be an issue.

It's only a problem if this happens:
View attachment 43216

Then Sh$t hits the fan. . . .

FWIW: to tight is not good as even the smallest of rocks sticking to your tire must pass through, be knocked off, tear up the guard, or lock up the tire.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i was wondering about rocks and stuff getting stuck there. sounds like the same issue would be for the fz6 tire. what happened to your rear hugger when you got that nail?
i doubt the tire would lock up, but the fender would get messed up.....and mess up the rear brake hose...?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, not enough space that if a nice size nail or bolt gets stuck in the tire it wont hit. A few weeks back I ran over a bolt that got stuck in the rear and as the tire rotated it destroyed my rear hugger that I had chopped up and painted. Was very annoying.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i was wondering about rocks and stuff getting stuck there. sounds like the same issue would be for the fz6 tire. what happened to your rear hugger when you got that nail?
i doubt the tire would lock up, but the fender would get messed up.....and mess up the rear brake hose...?

Thankfully not my nail or my picture.

However - I can relate to the following; I have the R6 forks and the fender runs this close to the tire; Rocks and stuff clink through and crunch crunch crunch around the fender at times. It's not pretty sound and I sure hope nothing ever locks up the tire as that could be fatal (fetal?). . .
DSC_4979FenderGap.jpg