Stuck in Egypt

MakersTeleMark

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to get home and broke down to outside of hatch nm. Got gas, bike started stuttering and dying 20 miles down the road. Would surge and die. Checked the battery connections and all good. Waited and it started up but same surging and dying in a few miles. Finally it wouldn't start at all. Got the bike into town. Checked fuses all good. My headlight wasn't on. Just put a new battery in and nothing. Can't hear the fuel pump kick in and nothing from the starter at all.

I could really use some help bad.

Thoughts?

[email protected]

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And I thought you were stuck in the country of Egypt.

How old are your plugs? Is your bike giving you an error code? Could be bad fuel, but highly unlikely. Your headlights will only come after your engine begins to run, not before so that's normal.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to get home and broke down to outside of hatch nm. Got gas, bike started stuttering and dying 20 miles down the road. Would surge and die. Checked the battery connections and all good. Waited and it started up but same surging and dying in a few miles. Finally it wouldn't start at all. Got the bike into town. Checked fuses all good. My headlight wasn't on. Just put a new battery in and nothing. Can't hear the fuel pump kick in and nothing from the starter at all.

I could really use some help bad.

Thoughts?

[email protected]

Sorry man!
*** DO NOT JUMP FROM A RUNNING VEHICLE ***
Are you saying it was FINE until the last fuel stop and after using the starter button so many times the battery is dead?

If so, its like a FUEL Quality issue (H2O????)!

--> Got gas, bike started stuttering and dying 20....
--> Finally it wouldn't start at all.
That sounds like water in the fuel....

Now this:
--> Checked fuses all good. My headlight wasn't on. << meaning?
--> Just put a new battery in and nothing.
So you JUST NOW, bought a new battery?

Any chance you blew the main fuse on the battery Cranking on it so long?
I believe MOST have a spare - 35A fuse right at the main right on the battery. Verify that fuse is OK!

Based on what little I know - If that solves the cranking issue, WATER IS HEAVIER than gas and you can lift the tank to get it to a corner!
*** BUY *** some small vinyl hose (3 ft) and a spark plug of any flavor that has the smaller threaded top and long handle ICE scrapper to prop tank up!
With good fuses, run switch ON, hopefully it cranks. Remove any plug cap, insert NEW plug and rest plug on the header. Crank Engine and check for spark.
If it has spark, INSTALL plug cap on engine - Use that hose and take some fuel from the tank, remove air box lid and drop some fuel into each TB.

If that tank is propped the water will go to the bottom. The fuel you borrowed off the TOP should burn. If it fires off from doing this, no you need to get that hose to the bottom of the elevated tank and siphon the water out.

If you have no spark and no cranking, its time to bypass switches OR Exercise them until the work. Maybe even spray fluid in them to change things up a bit.
- Clutch in
- Side stand up
- Bike in Neutral! Does the LIGHT COME ON?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing about the main fuse popping because of a lot of the cranking.

If not fuel issue, the red kill switch is a weak point on the FZ6 and have been known to cause problems. This may have been the initial problem. You may want to jump those 2 wires to eliminate the kill switch. Don't ground them!

Headlights will not come on until the engine has been started. It's a current saving design....

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The kill switch has known to go bad, mine included. However, I just had to wiggle the switch a bit for it to find the sweet spot and start up again. I suggest wiggling the kill switch a bit to see if is a connection issue.

MakersTeleMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Kill switch it was. One of the soldier joints failed inside the housing. Made it 60 miles north right into a monster thunder storm. Waiting it out at a lonely wet cold rest area. Thanks for the quick replies.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kill switch it was. One of the soldier joints failed inside the housing. Made it 60 miles north right into a monster thunder storm. Waiting it out at a lonely wet cold rest area. Thanks for the quick replies.

K/S FTW!!! Goes to Kenny! :thumbup:
--> Out of Egypt and into the Monster!!! Copy that!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Props to you guys helping out a fellow rider. :rockon:

Just another reason why this is such a wonderful forum...... :cheer:

Ride safe TeleMark......hope you make it home before our crap weather moves in tomorrow!