Stripped hex bolt trying to install Rizoma handlebars...

maxpower3

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, here's the deal: I'm trying to install some Rizoma billet grips + bar ends that I got recently. I went to the bar ends of my 08 FZ6 with a hex wrench (allen wrench) to try and remove the stock bar ends. Only problem is that I immediately stripped the hex bolt holding the stock bar end on.

What are my options now? I've heard of "easy off," but I was hoping there was a simpler solution I'm overlooking that doesn't involve me shelling out for drill bits.

Thanks in advance guys.

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW how did that happen?? I know they where really tuff but did you make sure it was all the way in the head of the bolt and correct size. I think its metric... Easy outs do work but if it was that tuff i'm not sure if they will. If they dont work try a reverse drill bit. If that don't work buy new bars.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You were using the 8mm hex socket? Some have confused the little hex indent in the bar end as the size of hex wrench when in fact it's the larger 8mm one and hopefully this is not the one you stripped.

View attachment 24421

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a shop towel and wrap it around the head of the stock bar end. Now take some adjustable pliers, grab the bar end (over the shop towel, obviously) and turn. That's how I've always taken mine off. And since you're replacing the stock ends with aftermarket ones anyway, you can forget the towel if you like...that's just to keep from scarring up the bar end anyway.

You'll really have to muscle them...those things are on there TIGHT from the dealer!

maxpower3

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow guys. I think the poster above was right -- I was trying to loosen the bar ends using the "inner" bolt, not the larger 8 mm outer one. I feel dumb. Alright, I'll go try that and see what happens. Thanks all.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, be very patient with this stuff! stripped bolts are the worst thing so get it right the first time. Don't ask how I know what a Heli Coil is :D and why I have a can of Liquid Wrench in the garage.

Dennis

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
so they larger part is 8MM and it is the one to be turned? i was gonna do it today and was having a hard time and was confused if i was using the right thing.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
so they larger part is 8MM and it is the one to be turned? i was gonna do it today and was having a hard time and was confused if i was using the right thing.
A decent allen key is good if you have one. Then you can provide more leverage by putting a pipe over it. Worked great for me. I prefer it to my socket for breaking things lose. Less expensive if it snaps! :D