Trying to install heated grips but can't remove bar ends

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
I am the 3rd owner of a 05 FZ6 and trying to extend the season as long as possible here in the NE and thus looking to install heated grips however it seems the allen bolt inside the bar end is stripped and I can't remove it. Tried inserting a torx bit of similar size, hammering it in and using a ratchet as that was suggested but no go. Any other ideas?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am the 3rd owner of a 05 FZ6 and trying to extend the season as long as possible here in the NE and thus looking to install heated grips however it seems the allen bolt inside the bar end is stripped and I can't remove it. Tried inserting a torx bit of similar size, hammering it in and using a ratchet as that was suggested but no go. Any other ideas?

***You are using the larger, at the very outside end of the bar end allen head for your tool correct?

There is a smaller one, deeper inside, DO NOT USE this one.

You can tap a slighter larger SAE or metric preferably 3/8" drive (that fit's very snug) into the allan head bolt

If none of those work, I suspect you'll be using a good vise grip to the bar end, and destroying it to get it off...

Last edited:

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Got one of them off now that I am after the outside one but one is still heavily stripped, tried hammering a torx bit and using a ratchet but no go. Any ideas?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your going to end up destroying it so a pipe wrench should work.

I don't know what side you got off, but loctite is often used.

HEAT to the metal helps break down the loctite (Heat gun).
So if you can use heat without destroying anything else, add heat to the mix...

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the clutch/left side off but they would use loctite on both sides I assume?

I guess I'll try pipe wrench whenever I can get my hand son right but ya looks like I'll be destroying it at this point and replacement bar ends seem cheap.

I figure I would have trouble with the wiring of the heat grips, didn't think I would be stuck at step one of removing bar ends.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the clutch/left side off but they would use loctite on both sides I assume?

I guess I'll try pipe wrench whenever I can get my hand son right but ya looks like I'll be destroying it at this point and replacement bar ends seem cheap.

I figure I would have trouble with the wiring of the heat grips, didn't think I would be stuck at step one of removing bar ends.

Yep, I've come across some bar ends where someone was very happy with the loctite.

You can buy just one bar end.

If you want to remove the throttle assembly for better access you can. If the PLASTIC throttle tube pushes in far enough (maybe keep a wet cloth on it-so you don't melt it), you can apply the heat gun to where the threads are at. I'm sure the loctite is what's holding it at this point

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on adding heat but be careful not to heat up switches or wires. Seems weird anyone would put loctite on bar ends. I have always gotten these off using the larger hex socket bit. the first time removing I noticed rust inside. I guess the rationale for loctite would be not to have to make them as tight to stay on and therefore easier off next time. Blue loctite wouldn't require heat to loosen but Red loctite would.and I question the noobiness of anyone using red loctite on a motorcycle.