strange sounds

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I know trying to figure out noises in an engine is difficult enought but I have a tin-like vibration at 3000, 6000, and 9000 rpm that is annoying the crap outta me and since I usually ride Vtwins I am not really sure if it is normal or its about to blow up.
Sounds like keys rattling with the vibrations but I put tape around them and thats not it.
also sounds like there is a screw tinging around inside the headers or something, I dunno thats the best I can come up with.
The 9000 rpm sounds like the bike is coming apart or something.
Any suggestions?

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Possibly cam chain / cam chain tentioner? had one of them on the way out on my old FZ6 and it rattled when reved at a simular rev range to that you described. Like a hollow rattle on the bottom right hand side of the engine as you are sitting on it. does that sound close to where the noise is coming from?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Throttle body sync will take care of most vibrations. As far as the "rattling" you are hearing from the exhaust, that sounds to me like a deteriorating cat.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know trying to figure out noises in an engine is difficult enought but I have a tin-like vibration at 3000, 6000, and 9000 rpm that is annoying the crap outta me and since I usually ride Vtwins I am not really sure if it is normal or its about to blow up.
Sounds like keys rattling with the vibrations but I put tape around them and thats not it.
also sounds like there is a screw tinging around inside the headers or something, I dunno thats the best I can come up with.
The 9000 rpm sounds like the bike is coming apart or something.
Any suggestions?

If you can, with either a stethescope or long screwdriver (and the help of a friend), go around the bike holding the throttle at 3,000 RPM, you should be able to narrow it down using the scope, or the end of the screwdriver to your ear.

The cam chain is pretty short and is located under the obling smallish right side cover. The cam rattle will resonate but start in that area.

Also, if you have access to a heavy leather welding glove, you can push/pull on the exhaust system, should you have a loose clamp/bolt/etc...

I also re-call reading about someone who's clutch or front brake lever was slightly loose causing a rattle as well...

How many miles on the bike?

Last edited:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
those are all normal sounds , welcome to sportbikes they love to make screaming noise at high rpm

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, hopefully tomorrow I'll have some free time to look it over. I bought the bike in December with almost 20,000 miles and las I looked I believe it has about 24000 now. I have grown to like it although not as comfortable as my last one.'
I'll report back with the results, it seems like it may be exhaust related but who knows its hard to tell from behind the handlebars.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, hopefully tomorrow I'll have some free time to look it over. I bought the bike in December with almost 20,000 miles and las I looked I believe it has about 24000 now. I have grown to like it although not as comfortable as my last one.'
I'll report back with the results, it seems like it may be exhaust related but who knows its hard to tell from behind the handlebars.

Whereabouts in Florida are you?

Last edited:

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
ll kind of crazy noises going on in this engine... I cannot find the source but it is annoying to no end. Now another sound has developed when the throttle is opened and the rpms increase.
And to think people complain about Buells and Harleys...:confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ll kind of crazy noises going on in this engine... I cannot find the source but it is annoying to no end. Now another sound has developed when the throttle is opened and the rpms increase.
And to think people complain about Buells and Harleys...:confused:

The FZ6 is many times the subject of a noisey cam chain. I'm wondering if you need a new cam chain tensioner.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget the pebble collecting headers - Those hold many rocks/pebbles and make lots of cool sounds as you go through the gears!

Its even better with the scent of smoking tar as they burn in the belly of the beast! :rolleyes:

Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to put a wrench on EVERYTHING! I did spot check and found one of the radiator guards was working its way loose. Do all of the fairing too! Everything is important! Check it!

Abimelec

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have a ticking sound on my FZ6. I tried researching and all the answers from above was all I found. AS days passed by the ticking sound would get worst and even worse when rev was high. After the ticking sound the exhaust started to backfire. Thought it was the spark plugs but after changing them, the problem persisted. Well one day i started the bike and seconds later i heard a clinging sound inside the engine. Like if something got loose inside there and got stuck somewhere there. The bike turned off and wouldnt turn on again. I took it to a mechanic and to my surprise they found out that one of the valves had gone lose. part of the valves hit the piston and made a dent in it. I was lucky nothing happened to the cylinder cause that would have been worse. The mechanic said the ticking noise was caused by the lose valve and the backfire was due to the cylinder not getting enough compression cause of the faulty valve.
I RECOMMEND YOU TO TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC BEFORE SOMETHING WORSE LIKE WHAT HAPPENED TO ME, HAPPENS TO YOU! :(
IT COST ME $1,300 TO GET IT FIXED. NOT BAD COMPARED TO WHAT DEALERSHIP WAS CHARGING ME. SO WAIT NO LONGER AND GET IT CHECKED,
IT COULD BE ONE OF YOU'RE VALVES!!! LETS HOPE NOT ;)

If you want send me a video of how the engine sounds and I pretty sure I'll recognize it it was the ticking sound my bike was making.