Stop and go lights on freeway entrance

kevincomanche14680

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering this, because I saw another rider do this, and I am new to riding, so I just wanted to make sure....... Is it allowed for bike riders to go through a red light on the freeway entrance lights?

And while were on the topic of the awesome perks we get, haha. I am allowed to be a single rider in the carpool lanes. Sweet!:BLAA:

From my perspective, running a red light is running a red light, regardless.

As for the car pool lane, I would doubt it, and honestly, the last thing you really want to be found is pissing off cagers by blatantly doing something they can't.

Cheers,
Rick

... the last thing you really want to be found is pissing off cagers by blatantly doing something they can't.

Cheers,
Rick

You know, like riding around on two wheels... :p

The last thing I am concerned about - at least to the degree you aren't doing the blatantly unsafe for the sake of being blatantly unsafe - is taking responsibility for how other people think.

They (mostly) don't, and I am far too busy taking responsibility for my own thoughts.

Having said all that, as far as stop-go lights on freeway entrance ramps - often used at rush hours to mediate cage traffic - I'm not particulalry fond of the idea of being between some 9-5er and their look-left-only-so-I-can-be-inconvenienced-as-little-as-possible driving strategy and some arbitrary line intended to force them, ironically, to merge safely.

My Jeep didn't fair well when I stopped (and they didn't); thinking a bike would do a tad worse.

Blowing one *can* be breaking the law the same way lane-splitting to avoid getting rear-ended is...*against* the law, but not the spirit of it.

However, like most "extreme" actions we sometimes take on the bike, it should be out of necessity, not convenience.

No you. Ant run those red lights but it's not comparable to running a red light at an intersection (I.e., it's not very dangerous). I'd mostly be worried about getting a ticket and being rude.

Yes you Are allowed to use the car pool lane in CA. It's written right on the sign. Yes we have privileges, don't abuse them. :thumbup:

I know here in Atlanta those lights only come on during morning and evening rush hour, and normally when they are on there is a line so you can't really run them. Don't know if it's the same out in Cali though.

don't know US laws but we have them occasionally here. As with any red light you should stop (it's a moving violation if you don't here and worth 3-6 points on your licence + a fine).

If I had time I would probably filter to the front of thw queue, or at least make some progress though it though as those slip roads are normally very wide

From my perspective, running a red light is running a red light, regardless.

As for the car pool lane, I would doubt it, and honestly, the last thing you really want to be found is pissing off cagers by blatantly doing something they can't.

Cheers,
Rick

In about 8 US states it is legal to run a red light if the rider waits at the light for one complete cycle and the light fails to change. This would be because the bike is too light to trip the pressure sensor or too small to be picked up by the motion sensor. Legal in my state.

Also in most US states it is 100% legal for motorcycles to ride in the carpool lane, in fact the signs in VA for that lane say "HOV-2/3 and MOTORCYCLES ONLY" :rockon:

In about 8 US states it is legal to run a red light if the rider waits at the light for one complete cycle and the light fails to change. This would be because the bike is too light to trip the pressure sensor or too small to be picked up by the motion sensor. Legal in my state.

Also in most US states it is 100% legal for motorcycles to ride in the carpool lane, in fact the signs in VA for that lane say "HOV-2/3 and MOTORCYCLES ONLY" :rockon:

This is exactly how it is in MN, also. Here it is for my state:

MINNESOTA RED LIGHT LAW

Sec. 42. Minnesota Statutes 2000, section 169.06, is amended by adding a subdivision to read: Subd. 9. [AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE RELATING TO UNCHANGING TRAFFIC CONTROL SIGNAL.]

(a) A person operating a motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:

(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and

(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

( The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

This is different from those entrance ramp signal lights, though. So I don't think this applies to those lights.

Last edited:
This is exactly how it is in MN, also. Here it is for my state:

MINNESOTA RED LIGHT LAW

Sec. 42. Minnesota Statutes 2000, section 169.06, is amended by adding a subdivision to read: Subd. 9. [AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE RELATING TO UNCHANGING TRAFFIC CONTROL SIGNAL.]

(a) A person operating a motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:

(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and

(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

( The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

This is different from those entrance ramp signal lights, though. So I don't think this applies to those lights.

I love all the loop holes in the way that law reads for a cop to write you a ticket for failure of any one of a number of requirements there, haha.

Once you know which lights will not trip for your motorcycle on your daily commute you can run them on the first cycle...providing you scan well for cops before hand! :BLAA:

FYI - The vast majority of traffic light sensors are inductive loop. Those cutouts in the road are loaded with a wire winding and when a large chunk of metal sits on top of it, an inductor is created. The traffic light brains detects and switches as it has been programmed to do. When a light doesn't trip for a bike, it's because it hasn't be tuned to pick up the smaller inductor (much less metal).

According to my MSF instructor, the rise in motorcycle popularity has lent itself to better tuning of the threshold.

Ok, so I will just wait for everyone else then I guess when it comes to a red light going onto the freeway. I just assumed that since bike riders are allowed in the carpool lane that they are allowed to go through the red lights safely onto the freeway, only.

What is the purpose of bikers allowed to ride in the carpool lane? I heard it was because bikes overheat, and also because the traffic moves smoother in those lanes, thus making it less of a risk for a biker.

What is the purpose of bikers allowed to ride in the carpool lane? I heard it was because bikes overheat, and also because the traffic moves smoother in those lanes, thus making it less of a risk for a biker.

Plenty of reasons I can think of:

1. heavy rush hour traffic with people abruptly changing lanes while sandwiched in like sardines at 65 mph is extremely dangerous conditions for a motorcycle.

2. Many car pool lanes also allow hybrid vehicles (governments way of encouraging more fuel efficient "green" vehicles) and motorcycles are also fuel efficient

3. If more people would ride motorcycles, traffic congestion would be much less...perhaps they are also giving some incentive to get more people to ride to work to help with the DOT woes.

FYI - The vast majority of traffic light sensors are inductive loop.

Exactly that, contrary to popular opinion, these induction loops have nothing to do with weight, but the mass and density of the metal.

One sure fire way to get them to activate, is put a magnet on your lower aspects (bottom of fork leg or swing arm).

Just remember to ride ON the line, not in the middle because you think it looks like a scale or 'weight detector', but actually on the line cut into the road (under which is the actual wire)

Cheers,
Rick

All of the lights that are on freeway on ramps around here are set up on timers. Give or take 5sec red then 5 sec green and are only on during peek traffic hours, to help control the flow of cars entering the freeway

just use the green light like a drag tree....green means dump clutch-->GO lol

we are allowed to be in the HOV lane in Atlanta too!!! its quite convenient at times :D

In the Minneapolis/St. Paul area we have separate onramps with no lights for the carpool lane and buses.

I take them even when the lights aren't on, just too much fun to rail around on the outside of a cager and merge at speed. :D

Here in CA i just use the carpool stop and go light. I always stop and go when green but if its a one car light and im behind someone i always go with them so technically running the light. Same if its a two car light and im the third person.

Especially when lane splitting to the light i always just go on green no matter how many cars on green because im in the middle. You will really piss a cager off lane splitting and then holding up that light.

I have seen cars get really pissed at me for not going and almost been run over. I figure im a small vehicle foot print and as long as i stopped i should be good.

You should follow the light like cars do unless the light has a problem sensing your bike. The onramp I use in the morning usually doesn't pick up my bike, but it's a 2-per-green and so I usually rely on having a car in front or behind for the light to activate.

You should follow the light like cars do unless the light has a problem sensing your bike. The onramp I use in the morning usually doesn't pick up my bike, but it's a 2-per-green and so I usually rely on having a car in front or behind for the light to activate.

So if two bikes are next to eachother do they equal two cars? or them plus one car behind?

What I meant was that 2 cars go per green (sequentially). So I can rely on a car behind me to trigger the light and they will follow on the same green signal, or vice versa.

Back