Stock 08 Ninja650 vs. Stock 08 FZ6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The count of 1 down 5 up is in relationship to neutral; green light on dash. Going from 1 to 2, or 2 to 1 will almost always result in a "klunk", that is neutral. If you are not going all the way down, past neutral, you are only using 2-6. Here's another way to figure out is you are in 6th, at 60 mph you should be a ~5,000 rpm with stock gearing. If you are at 5,500 at 60, poke her one more time.

And yes, the FZ will spank the Ninja in all regards.. The ninja motor is bulletproof but it is akin to an agriculteral water pump. With the right rider the FZ6 will run from 636s, 675s, and CBR600s. It is all about the rider.

Last edited:
The count of 1 down 5 up is in relationship to neutral; green light on dash. Going from 1 to 2, or 2 to 1 will almost always result in a \"klunk\", that is neutral. If you are not going all the way down, past neutral, you are only using 2-6. Here's another way to figure out is you are in 6th, at 60 mph you should be a ~5,000 rpm with stock gearing. If you are at 5,500 at 60, poke her one more time.

And yes, the FZ will spank the Ninja in all regards.. The ninja motor is bulletproof but it is akin to an agriculteral water pump. With the right rider the FZ6 will run from 636s, 675s, and CBR600s. It is all about the rider.

I will agree with Hellgate! Not only were you shorting yourself if you were using 2nd gear to launch, but rider input has EVERYTHING to do with how fast you launch. Start using first gear, then go back and beat him.

I've ridden a ninja 650, an sv650 and an fz back to back, and tested quarter mile time (love having a track 10 mins away). The FZ should never be beaten off the line by the ninja. It produces more torque everywhere except below 4700 rpm, even being a 600cc inline 4 compared to a 650 twin. The ninja is quite a bit slower in the quarter, the sv second and the fz the king. So in theory, a rider with equal skill on an FZ should smoke the Kawi, and even beat the SV in the quarter, but not off the line. Take that Suzuki! :Flip:

As for the gears, all FZ's should have 6. I won't say anything else, everyone else has said it all.

Ok I have a few things to say here:

It was a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes. I miscounted how many gears I have.

Thanks go out to those with good intentions of helping me.

Secondly - to whoever said this (because you stuck out in my mind) and to all you who for some reason twisted this into me not knowing how to ride:

"Frankly, I don't see how you could avoid 1st gear. Who counts gears every time they downshift? Or never double-checks by pressing down on the shifter a few times to confirm 1st gear before pulling away?
You took MSF course? We covered the shift operation before ever getting on bikes. The instructor never called you for starting in 2nd gear?
Bought a new bike and never read the owners manual or looked at the Yamaha website?"

Good job in attempting to put me down. I hope it makes you feel secure about yourself. (all of you who said similar things)

-I obviously don't count the gears every time, simple mistake.
-I read the manual
-I don't start in second gear

So to all of you buffoons talking to me like I am in second grade, you can all go walk into oncoming traffic. I miscounted how many gears I have. Like I said I am new to riding and even newer to this bike. I have much to learn.

And for the record, I whooped the ninja 650 for those of you who said i don't know how to ride and that I didn't spank the s**t out of it

commence the flaming

Also, and I'm not being condescending here, you are pulling in the clutch before shifting gears.....right?

We aren't trying to be mean here, this is just sort of a fundamental concept of motorcycling, the fact that you don't seem to understand it is a bit confusing to most of us. Again, not being condescending, just trying to explain.

Where did you get this from? Are you using the clutch? What kind of questions is that, where did you get the notion that i do not understand my clutch.

AND yes i use my clutch 90% of the time.

No i don't use my clutch if i am racing. Its called quickshifting, look it up - maybe you'll learn a thing or 2.

I agree that racing other bikes on the street is not a good idea (even if you're not going full-out and no matter how much experience you have). The conditions aren't the same as at a track - you can't control the surrounding area, the surface is imperfect, and even if you're in control of your ride you don't know what the other rider might do.

Before you worry too much about what other bikes you can 'beat' - try and focus on mastering the bike you're riding. I realize you were just curious, but now is the time to be extra careful. A track day might be a great idea if you're interested in testing out the bike closer to its potential.

If you haven't bought them yet, I'd suggest a set of frame sliders and a good set of gear (especially a good helmet, proper riding boots, and a jacket - riding pants and full gloves are pretty essential too). All of this is relatively cheap compared with the cost of a bike and they could save your life.

There are also a number of great riding books out there too. I spend most of my winters reading about riding techniques and (like most of us) I'm no where near riding to the limits of the FZ6. It's a great bike that way.

chunk.....

this is a friendly place....not filled with the drama of many other forums...

you asked to many what seems like an elementary question....and then in your first 11 posts start reprimanding long time members

being sarcastic about assuming WE know ---that you know what quick shifting is ----

that is not to be assumed when the person asking the question can't find the 6 gears on their bike.

-----------------
So
---------------

deep breath....... play nice .....please & thank you ....hold the sarcasm till you know people.....

----------------or------------------

take your one of a kind 5 speed FZ6 :rof: and ride off into the sunset

:mikebike:

I am also a bit of a newby to this forum and I'm still learning lots about this bike. I have found everyone on here really friendly and helpful to me. I must admit though to being rather shocked at some of the comments posted in this thread.
We only have to read some of our posts in this thread http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/10158-dumb-but-obvious.html to see we ALL make mistakes and have moments of unclear thinking.
I also took the opportunity to read the rules, thanks Bill, and have modified my signature so as not to cause offence to our female members.
Chunkygoat, stick around mate this is a brilliant site!

I am also a bit of a newby to this forum and I'm still learning lots about this bike. I have found everyone on here really friendly and helpful to me. I must admit though to being rather shocked at some of the comments posted in this thread.
We only have to read some of our posts in this thread http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/10158-dumb-but-obvious.html to see we ALL make mistakes and have moments of unclear thinking.
I also took the opportunity to read the rules, thanks Bill, and have modified my signature so as not to cause offence to our female members.
Chunkygoat, stick around mate this is a brilliant site!
I agree with your post mate,

There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.
Some of the response would better be suited on other sites IMO.

Nelly

Ok I have a few things to say here:

It was a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes. I miscounted how many gears I have.

Thanks go out to those with good intentions of helping me.

Secondly - to whoever said this (because you stuck out in my mind) and to all you who for some reason twisted this into me not knowing how to ride:

\"Frankly, I don't see how you could avoid 1st gear. Who counts gears every time they downshift? Or never double-checks by pressing down on the shifter a few times to confirm 1st gear before pulling away?\"

This is exactly my point. No one counts gears all the time, I don't believe you could consistently miss first gear every time.

And for the record, I whooped the ninja 650 for those of you who said i don't know how to ride and that I didn't spank the s**t out of it

Of course you did! FZ6 vs Ninja 650 isn't a fair race. :rockon:

commence the flaming

Flaming on bro! Just kidding and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
When I bought my bike new the sales dude said it was a five speed also, which I thought sounded odd:don'tknow:. I assumed he slipped the old tongue when yakking with me. I set out with counting my gears in mind and by the time I hit a road where I could stretch my beast's legs all thought of counting gears was gone:sinister:....lol...."what a ride.....and only up to 8k rpm. Omg:jawdrop:.....Aww carp!....now I've gotta count again:banghead:"...lol. Took me 'til my second ride to know. If this is chunkygoat's first guided missle then who could blame him for miscounting:rockon:. I've been riding for years and it took me ages to get over the "holy cow" factor every time I wound the throttle on and that was during running in:D...lol. Man I love this bike (or have already said that before...lol.)

Not everyone's been having a go at you mate. Lot's of folk are just trying to get a handle on things and help out. It really is good on here mate. Just have a look around and get a feel for stuff.

And above all.....ride carefully and stay safe.:thumbup: Start out trying for smooth and then try going for fast....at least that's what someone told me once....I'll let you know when I get fast...lol.
Cheers
Mike

Hey Sportrider. When you are looking for "classic" threads a year from now, THIS IS ONE OF THEM!

Priceless...

how do you figure? How much exactly does the 650 weigh?

Ninja 650 specs

Engine Type Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve per cylinder, parallel twin

Displacement 649 cc

Bore & Stroke 83.0 x 60.0 mm

Compression Ratio 11.3:1

Maximum Torque 48.5 lb/ft @7,000 rpm

Cooling Liquid

Fuel Injection Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies

Ignition Digital CDI

Transmission 6-Speed

Final Drive O-Ring Chain

Frame Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel

Rake/Trail 25°/4.2 in.

Front Tire Size 120/70-17

Rear Tire Size 160/60-17

Wheelbase 55.5 in.

Front Suspension / wheel travel 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 4.7 in.

Rear Suspension / wheel travel Single offset laydown shock with adjustable spring preload / 4.9 in.

Front Brake Type Dual 300mm Petal Disc with 2-Piston Caliper

Rear Brake Type Single 220mm Petal Disc with hydraulic caliper

Fuel Tank Capacity 4.1 gal.

Seat Height 31.1

Curb Weight 440.9 lbs.

Overall length 82.9 in.

Overall width 29.9 in.

Overall height 50.0 in.

That's nothing. One of the sales drones at Woods told me it was a V-twin!

I guess we know which sales guy failed his "salesman" exam.

I had a salesman once tell me that the stock ZX-14 made 190hp stock and would do 210mph off the showroom floor. I asked him to show me the specs on the bike because i didnt believe him. So sure enough after he spent 10 minutes in the back looking for the info i wanted he came out to say they were all out of brochures (misspelled i think). :spank::banghead:

That's nothing. One of the sales drones at Woods told me it was a V-twin!

PMSL. Couldn't have got it more wrong if he said it was a truck...lol.:spank::spank:..."You'll need to use the diesel pump at the servo, son"....:spank::spank:

It threw me a bit when he told me, as I'd done loads of research before buying and sort of went:confused:.
Cheers
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back