Stebel Nautilus Compact

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, I took the plunge today and spent my final bit of money for the month on a new horn! In true Irish fashion it cost a hell of alot of money for the stebel nautilus compact but thats ok (used to it!!)...but i'm excited since on top of getting the horn I have decided to make the wiring harness myself...and i'm not great with electronics (but good at putting them all together) so its a nice mini project for me! :)

I was so unsure about the type of wire to buy taking into account the thickness and length and colour!!...people have used 18 Gauge wire while the instructions that come with the horn suggest a 2.5 mm2 wire which equates to a 13 gauge wire...massive difference.

I'm going to use a 14 gauge wire for everything on the mod. I'll be using the plan below to base my harness on. I will be installing a 20A fuse between the + on battery and the relay. The fuse holder which i bought today came with 12 Gauge wires leading out of it and I hope that it will be ok to have a 14 gauge wire leading from + on battery to this 12G fuse unit to another 14 gauge wire which connects directly to the relay...if not...please advise! :)

I've got shrink tubing to cover up all connections and tomorrow i'll get a wide bore shrink tube to cover up everything! :)

I'll update this with install photos. The closest I've found to this type of install on a bike similar to ours is on a FZ1.

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I used 16ga wire and it's done just fine. Because the horn isn't constantly drawing power, you can get away with undersized wire.

Anyway, no problems with 16ga, so 14ga should do just fine.

Fred

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Scorphonic;

Stay with the larger gauge wire between the new horn-relay-battery while the relay to the old horn wire can be smaller. 14Ga is good up to 15A but not sure what your new horn draws. The relay is a much smaller load or current draw so even 18Ga would suffice.

Good luck with it. :thumbup:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Scorphonic;

Stay with the larger gauge wire between the new horn-relay-battery while the relay to the old horn wire can be smaller. 14Ga is good up to 15A but not sure what your new horn draws. The relay is a much smaller load or current draw so even 18Ga would suffice.

Good luck with it. :thumbup:

Thanks for both replies there, i've decided to go for:

1) 12G wire from battery to fuse to relay
2) 12G wire from relay to + on new horn
3) 12G wire from battery - to new horn.

4+5) 16G wire from relay to old horn connector (x2)

So i'm off now to return the wrong cables i got yesterday...get this sorted out today! :)

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, I took the plunge today and spent my final bit of money for the month on a new horn! In true Irish fashion it cost a hell of alot of money for the stebel nautilus compact but thats ok (used to it!!)...but i'm excited since on top of getting the horn I have decided to make the wiring harness myself...and i'm not great with electronics (but good at putting them all together) so its a nice mini project for me! :)

I was so unsure about the type of wire to buy taking into account the thickness and length and colour!!...people have used 18 Gauge wire while the instructions that come with the horn suggest a 2.5 mm2 wire which equates to a 13 gauge wire...massive difference.

I'm going to use a 14 gauge wire for everything on the mod. I'll be using the plan below to base my harness on. I will be installing a 20A fuse between the + on battery and the relay. The fuse holder which i bought today came with 12 Gauge wires leading out of it and I hope that it will be ok to have a 14 gauge wire leading from + on battery to this 12G fuse unit to another 14 gauge wire which connects directly to the relay...if not...please advise! :)

I've got shrink tubing to cover up all connections and tomorrow i'll get a wide bore shrink tube to cover up everything! :)

I'll update this with install photos. The closest I've found to this type of install on a bike similar to ours is on a FZ1.

I just got my Stebel from FedEx today, I bought the wiring harness from them, so I got the fuses and relays with it.

Did you ever get it installed ? I would love to know where you found space to put it.

How do you like it so far?

Ben

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been told that you can separate the horn and compressor and put them in two locations. Is this true? On the '08, we have a ton of room under each side of the inner fairings. :D

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been told that you can separate the horn and compressor and put them in two locations. Is this true? On the '08, we have a ton of room under each side of the inner fairings. :D

Yes you can separate them,all you need is some tubing and an air fitting and your done,but you will get a slight delay from button to noise,lol.

I fitted mine in one piece under the left fairing with no probs.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my Stebel from FedEx today, I bought the wiring harness from them, so I got the fuses and relays with it.

Did you ever get it installed ? I would love to know where you found space to put it.

How do you like it so far?

Ben

Nearly a year since i've seen this (and I dont have photo's of the install...i'm lazy!)

The horn is bolted to the frame (on left side down by the oil filter) where there is a hole to bolt the plastic fairing onto. The wires are then fed from the horn up the engine (via the clips on the engine near to the gear selector) and under the seat. I have the relay under the seat beside the ECU and the wires then run from here up the left hand side inner frame along the side of the air filter and to the battery. I made the wires long enough that allowed the inline fuse for the + on the battery to sit in the space in front of the battery so everything is very neat. Its a great horn, i'm having some trouble with the horn now but that is either due to the rain (which included submersing the horn in water while I drove through a flood), the heat from the engine which I very much doubt or my fuse is starting to go!

Last edited: