sprocket change.do i need a new nut

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry havent got time to do a search right now ..what i need to know is ,those of you that have changed your sprockets did you use a new bolt? or can the old one be re-used? as it has "crush locks" each side??

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
Yes you need a new nut each time you take it off. I have tried this and it messes threads up if you try to use the original over again. It is even in the yamaha service manual to get a new one every time. Be prepared they are about $15 a piece.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you need a new nut each time you take it off. I have tried this and it messes threads up if you try to use the original over again. It is even in the yamaha service manual to get a new one every time. Be prepared they are about $15 a piece.

Are we talking the front sprocket lock nut? I have done it at least three times and still using the original nut. I have had zero issues.... seems to go on and off like any other nut... I am (was) having trouble making up my mind whether to stick with the stock 16T or the 17T I bought.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well i used the same nut..it was absolutley mint ,my bike is only 6 months old has only done 690 miles ...15t sprocket now installed and very happy with the results :thumbup:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
While it's suggested, most people just reuse the original.

Since I was already ordering stuff I bought a new nut and washer for when I do my sprocket swap.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ya.. if i would have had patience, i would have gotten a new one.. but i didnt so i re-used the old one.. works fine, opened it up to get it off, then clinched it back on after...

brian-oki

Reaction score
Visit site
I also used the old nut, the bike only had 3,200 miles on it at the time too.
I am doing the rear sprocket this fall, when I change my rear tire.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
No, you do not need to automatically replace the NUT each time it is removed.

....It is even in the yamaha service manual to get a new one every time. Be prepared they are about $15 a piece.

Can you post a copy of this? The service manual I have only suggests replacing the LOCK WASHER each time, not the nut. See attached image

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Nut? Yes, you're supposed to reuse it.

Lock washer? Mine was reused, but some folks feel better about using a new one than re-bending the old one.